What do you feed your dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevycouple

Reaction score
Seem's most everyone on here has dogs and this is a question I ask many people. I personally raw feed my Border collie and Doxie. What do you all feed?

Last edited by a moderator:
My dogs both get Science Diet. It is a prescription food only available through the vet.

My 4 year old boxer gets Science Diet Large Breed-Light. I mix a cup of soft food and 2 and a half cups of hard food together.
default_yes.gif
:

Bil-Jac here too. Large breed select. Won't feed anything else. And where on earth is Science diet by prescription only? It is on the shelves here.

Our dogs get a mixture of high quality kibble, usually 2 or 3 brands at a time. Right now they are eating Nature's Recipe and Nutro Natural Choice. Soon I'll be adding some Avoderm. Previously they've had Evo, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Blue Buffalo, Royal Canin, Pet's Promise, Flint River Ranch, etc. The way I see it is, I wouldn't want to eat the same thing day in and day out, so why would my dogs (or my cat who is currently on Advantage, Nutro Natural Choice and Pets Promise kitty kibble)? I've found this also makes for stronger (read: less sensitive) digestive tracts. My animals condition and coats are incredible and with frequent baths the shedding on the Boxers and long haired cat is almost nil.
default_yes.gif
:

"And where on earth is Science diet by prescription only? It is on the shelves here." minimama

Science Diet has special, prescription only diets available for dogs that are diabetic, have hip dysplasia, etc. Honestly, however, I've always wanted to sit down and chat with a vet who could explain exactly what the benefits of these foods are as from what I read in the ingredients list they are still your basic, yucky "Science Experiment" quality food. It's often said that many vets offer and "recommend" Science Diet as they receive kickbacks from the company to carry it in their practice.
default_wink.png
:

Well I have to say I am one of those shameful dog owners who feeds *gasp* Pedigree puppy.

We have right now 5 dogs (well ok 10 if you count the pups) we had 3 geriatric dogs who were fine and healthy there whole lives on pedigree.

I also break even more rules cause our dogs are always free fed-

default_unsure.png
: Not an attack, just FYI: If you read the ingredients, Pedigree Puppy is basically corn, rice and wheat with some chicken by-products and "animal" fat thrown in. Like other dog foods available at grocery and super stores for cheap, it's a McMeal for your dog. There's no doubt these foods are popular like fast food is for people (hey, it's cheap and easy), but just because billions have been served and many are living what appear to be long, okay lives on this stuff doesn't mean it's doing anyone any good.

As an aside, when grooming others' dogs I swear I can literally SMELL the majority of the dogs who are on diets like Pedigree, Ol Roy, etc. and I'm not talking about anything left around their mouths. If the smell isn't there, their coat almost always shows it (even if it "looks great" to the owner).

As for free feeding, it works for some and not for others. I free feed when I feed... the dogs eat what they want until it's gone and then I'll refill, but not every day.

For my dogs.....Jack Russell Terriers, (shorties) I feed Natures Recipe Lamb and Rice. With 5 JRTS running the house, the food is in 5 bowls in a circle in the middle of the kitchen floor, which are filled as they are emptied....keeps the peace
default_yes.gif
: Although, occasionally, everyone MUST eat out of the same bowl
default_rolleyes.gif
: and it does cause some posturing and growling, but if they are ignored, nothing comes of it.

They also get Iams Puppy Buscits at bedtime (AKA...COOKIES !!!) And they love a Snausage or two as a Very Special Treat. (I know, they are made of crap, but the dogs LOVE them)

Sue
default_smile.png

We have two of our oldies on Science Diet BD (old bad dog :bgrin ), the rest are on Exclusive which is the feed store version of PMI. One on Puppy, the others on old fat dog food. The two oldies are also getting some of that burger/cheese stuff mixed in, they are fading and losing appetites. One has tumors everywhere, the other is just kind of vague and in her own world, had 11 teeth pulled a few weeks ago.

LOL Sue! We have three dogs and FIVE food dishes scattered throughout the house from the kitchen and dining area to the living room. The main reason would be my "baby," Phillipe, the Toy Poodle who thinks he needs to regulate what everyone else eats.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Favorite doggie treats around here include plain yogurt, cottage cheese, steak, chicken or whatever else we've cooked for ourselves, Yip Yaps, and Merrick dog bones. :bgrin

:bgrin I am a breeder of AKC reg Chihuahuas, long and smooth coat and Italian Greyhounds, my dogs are all now on Lifes Abundance, it is human grade chicken and vegies and is said to let a dog live closer to it's true lifespan 25 - 30 years, have yet to see this played out :bgrin , a vet has formulated it and it has no puppy or senior formulas, all are fed the same formula. I have had great success with my puppies and have a 16 year old that seems to be thriving (no tumors either)... I get it mailed to me and all my dogs love it not just some of them even the finicky ones...Hope all can try it, I think dogs live way to short a life no matter how long it is
default_unsure.png
: ...Ren

www.hartsofjoy.com

http://www.healthypetnet.com/healthypetnet...alname=10079069

Merrick Puppy Plate here!

My girl, Keeleigh, is an 8 month old Rottweiler/Golden cross. She started out on Beneful, then went to Pedigree. After I started working with dogs, I began to research what they need as far as nutrition. I got turned on to Merrick because its all natural. Aside from having REAL meat (not by-products), its got veggies. She loves it, especially when I add a bit of Merrick Puppy Plate wet food on top. She gets about 3-4 cups per day (depending on how hungry she is). Her coat shimmers and she's in a great shape, not fat or thin. I've got one more full bag to go through before I upgrade her to adult food. Can't decide between the Merrick Turducken or Merrick Grammies Pot Pie, maybe Merrick Cowboy Cookout.

I have a "test" you can do on your dog food to see how it rates against others. You add and subtract numbers depending on what ingredients it contains. Out of 100, Beneful is only a 13!!! Merrick ranks at just over 100. I'll see if I can find it so you all can see it.

Erin

I breed golden retrievers (working lines) so they are darker and lighter boned than what you see in the conformation ring today. I feed Eagle pack holistic and I rotate between the fish and the chicken. They also get a supplement called Missing Link because all commercial pet foods are heat processed so you lose nutrients on the way. They also get dog cookies and their favourite treats are raw carrots and ice cubes especially in the summer :bgrin They all have shiny coats, great teeth and have tons of energy which is good because I train and run them in retriever trials.

Yvonne

And where on earth is Science diet by prescription only? It is on the shelves here." minimama
There are a few Science Diets that are prescription only...ask your vet...in my case my dogs are on Science Diet W/D - you can't get it anywhere except for the vet. There are others (Science Diet) that are only available throug a vet. W/D is for overweight dogs..but only one of my dogs is overwieght...long story..

My lab had severe bleeding in stool, throw-up, pee..the whole nine yards...blood was coming out of every orfice for no reason...after a $2500 work up at MSU (Michigan State University) They advised going on this food (the dog was not overweight)...instantly my dog was perfect....he had been on sensitive stomach, etc...but none of that helped..the dog had no trauma...W/D has lots of fiber for dogs that have trouble going, although this was never a problem with him...he did have trouble with his anal gland which is directly related to how often/hard his stools where. We ended up putting our mix on W/D as well as it was easier at feeding time and he is FAT. So this food has helped him tremoundousley as well, plus it's easier as thier both eating the same thing.

Science Diet has many "Prescription Only" Feeds...look into it...I highly recommend them...I don't think my lab would be alive with out them.

By the way...this feed ain't cheep...$46 for 25 lbs...but worth every cent!

Well last year I believe it was Mininik on this board that posted about the dog food project website.............

So I did some major research, tested a few brands out and my dogs are now on Timberwolf Organics brand food. It comes in many flavor varieties and I switch them around.

I buy it straight from the company through their website, they give discounts per how much you buy and shipping of the big bags is FREE!!!

Most important my dogs look awesome and have less skin issues, less digestive issues, yadda yadda yadda.

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice for small breeds and same for puppies.

Less waste and they love it......
default_thumbup.gif
:

Before this Medical from the Vet.

Hey Yvonne :saludando: I didn't know you bred Golden Retrievers :bgrin . When we had our very first miniature schnauzer, Shotzie, she was a real hoot and VERY picky. She loved human food but she LOVED "Kibble and Bits" which I was told by my vet when I told her she wouldn't eat anything else, I tried her on Science Diet and all kinds of BETTER foods, "Danielle, Kibble and Bits is like chocolate chip cookies to a child, no wonder she likes it", in other words it's NOT GOOD FOR YOU. Our second schnauzer was unfortunately diagnosed with a liver shunt problem and liver disease :-( and she had to be on strictly vegetarian diet. Pepper loved fruit though. I have a garden in the backyard and she would go into the strawberry patch and just chow down :). We unfortunately lost Pepper at the tender age of 2. Fuller, our 7 month old Golden Retriever is on "Wellness" but of course he mooches and gets some fresh beef and veggies or chicken and veggies, he likes my cooking :bgrin :lol:

Back