what do you do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO~*

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I’m just kind of curious how many of you go running out into the night with nothing more than a flashlight and your nightgown blowing in the wind if you hear your minis or other pets for that matter making strange sounds? My husband gets kind of upset with me when I do this kind of thing but geez if you wait for your other half to come out it could be too late.[/SIZE]

I sleep with my window open so I can hear anything that may go on during the night (plus these hot flashes)

Last night well actually this morning about 1:00AM I could hear one of my girls outside doing the blowing thing, you know when they stand tall nostrils flared tail high and going ---who goes there show yourself or I’m gonna prance around until I step on you. Well anyway I always run out with a flashlight to have a look see then after I’m out there I stop to think about the what ifs.

I chalked up last nights blowing as probably a bear in the area; they are coming in close this time of year looking for food until the blackberries get ripe.

So whats your first reaction?

The girls at work always tease me saying they are going to come out and hide and get a picture of me on one of my middle of the night trips to the barn.
laugh.gif
Complete with muck shoes, nightgown, and flashlight.
new_shocked.gif
I figure I could scare anything just about if it were to get tooo close to me.
rolleyes.gif

Yep. Larry and I both do....but fortunately Larry doesn't wear a nightgown.
biggrin.gif

MA

All the time LOL. It's not a pretty sight.
biggrin.gif

Jan

My husband woke me up the other night complaining about dolphin squealing sounds coming from my pasture...... Little does he know this is the sound Mariah makes when she is breeding. I had to seperate her so he could get some sleep.
laugh.gif

I have been known to do that too while being indisposed as well.

Not an pretty sight.

Yup! All the time, not pretty but if I dont I cant sleep so it is better to just go look and then go back to bed.

Since we are confessing, how many of you have to go out and check that you latched all the gates and stall doors. I will wake up in the middle of the night and start counting and I have to go look if I cant remember actually doing each one. They are always latched, it is just so automatic that I do it without even thinking therefore I cant picture it in my head and have to go check.

Guilty! However I'm a wife beater shirt and undies kinda girl. Thank heavens I'm so far off the road and away from civlization. We do have a bear hanging around. Bob just took me out back on the 4 wheeler
new_shocked.gif
to show me the tree he...the bear
biggrin.gif
... dug his claws into. About 5-6 ft above ground so just a baby bear he says. Ya right!
new_shocked.gif
Needless to say the radio is on LOUD at nite, my nite lites are on and the gates are locked, and the fence is HOT. I have sound also from the barn, so far all I hear is that rude stallion and my hormonal mare sqealing. Sheesh!

Added: Annette I am guilty of that also. I'll walk all the way down to the house put my hand on the doorknob and pause...did I latch.....up I go again.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness we don't have to worry with bears here (although one has been spotted about 10 miles away). Our biggest predators are bobcats (on RARE occasions panthers have been spotted within 10 miles of here). Our dog is good to let us know if anything is really wrong. Most often a racoon or possom. Occasionally a snake. When I go out at night to check on a problem I ALWAYS have a FLASHLIGHT in one hand and a GUN in the other.

Oh, yes! I go out in my night gown when I hear strange noises, or even normal ones like whinnying if I do not know why they'd be making those noises. This spring, I ran out many times one night because some animal was making this squealing noise. I couldn't identify what was going on until the next morning when I realized one of the girls was in heat and just being a bit of a _h_r_ with the bewildered geldings in her lot.

A BEAR???
new_shocked.gif
YIKES!

Yep, it goes on here too. I swear, Frank could sleep through anything.

Thank goodness we are pretty well hidden from neighbors back here. A 60+ granny running around in nighty and barn shoes is not a pretty sight!

Two nights ago I did it again. Dancer and little Star Fire are spending nights out in the paddock right behind the back yard because of SF's eye meds. The weather report said clear all night.........never believe the weather men. At 2 a.m. I wake up and wonder if I hear thunder. Yep, lightning flashes. Out I go. Do you know how miserable it feels to slip your bare feet in your old barn shoes full of shavings? ... I mean, no time to put on socks!

Freeland, remind me to not come visiting unannounced
biggrin.gif

And hhpminis, I do that too.........more than I would like to admit.

Charlotte

We do what we gotta do!
yes.gif

I've been known (but hopefully not seen) to run out at night in just a bra and shorts. Hubby has had adventures too. A stallion got out with the mares and was "at" another stallion through a fence, so Karrel was out there with ONLY a flashlight and shoes on. In the rain and mud chasing a running stallion! He should have woken me up, I could have watched (I mean helped him)
biggrin.gif

Yep - I'm the one that goes out even though I'm scared of the dark and my hubby stands at the window in his shorts watching me - lol - as if someone or thing was to grab me he'd be jumping out the door to stop them in his underwear - probably stop them by them dying of laughter!!!

Yup that's me, pj's barn shoes, flashlight, gun, and here I go! I've actually had to shoot at coyotes that were too close to the barn. They usually won't come back if you scare them bad enough. I've scared off many dogs that way too. I figure that if it is a person, one look at me and that will be fright enough to keep them from coming back.

My hubby doesn't hear anything either except the gun if I shoot at something. He just lays there until I come back in then asks what I was shooting at. I swear I could tell him I just shot the neighbor and all he would say is "did ya get it"? I don't think he ever really wakes up.

laugh.gif
Mary, that's hilarious! You painted the most visual image with your post! Good ol gal in her PJ's, totin a gun to scare off those coyotes....only to return to a nonplussed husband half asleep. Thanks for the post!

Cindy

Guilty too
biggrin.gif
, mind you it's usually because I hear a thunderstorm approaching with lightning. It's not bad if I am wearing some kind of nightgown that is NOT see-thru, lol, but when I am well I lose the flashlight, ROFL. I have gone running before with only a pair of underwear and forgot I had nothing else on but hey I have no neighbours on either side of me or infront or behind me sooo the only ones I scare are myself and my critters
yes.gif

That's funny, Danielle!

We live about 1/8th of a mile off the road and I really get a kick out of visiting my pasture friends in my jammies with a cup of coffee in the morning....because I can!

Been known to forget about what I'm wearing and begin barn chores in my nightie. No, nothing by Victoria Secret....too darned practical for that. Our farrier stopped by once on a whim and SHE had a good laugh seeing a customer mucking stalls in her PJ's!
rolleyes.gif

Cindy

Oh I have done that too, yes a cup of coffee is a MUST. We had violent thunderstorms here yesterday which has made the weather even more humid and intolerable and this morning I was in my housecoat and couldn't find my darn rubber boots, you should see that fashion look when I am wearing those see-thru pjs and rubber boots
new_shocked.gif
, wonder if I can start an everyday fashion trend??? lol. Anyway this morning's fashion statement was the peach colored housecoat and white highheel shoes,
yes.gif
Well I just grabbed what was closest because I could hear my full size horses kicking down the barn to get out.

Latest posts

Back