What do you do with them?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsedreamer

Reaction score
Hi can everyone tell me a little (or alot) about what they show there horses in. I am trying to find out more about all the different types of compitions there are for minis and what they are like as in what do you do in the ring for each one. I also would love any neat sites to check out.

Amanda

I haven't shown very much (3 shows since 2002), but plan on making it a big part of my horse life throughout the next few years.

I have only ever shown in Halter classes, so far. Basically, you walk your horse straight at the judge, then on his/her cue you trot in a circle around the arena. This is so the judge can evaluate the horses movement. All the horses are then lined up and judged on conformation. Sometimes the judge will feel the horses teeth to make sure they are straight and come together evenly. Thats about it, lol.

Next year I'm going to do some Halter Obstacle. This is were you guide your horse around ground poles, tarps, bridges, etc. They are judge on the horses cooperation and willingness.

In-hand Jumping is pretty much you taking your horse over jumps of varing heights. I think its judged on whoever is the fastest, but not positive on that.

Hunter is more about the horses form when going over the jumps.

Then of course there are many types of driving classes. I don't drive yet, so don't know much about that. I'm training my horse right now, so maybe next year we'll try a class or two.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, guys.

Erin
saludando.gif

saludando.gif
saludando.gif

Glad to hear of a new one to the show arena.

My favorite classes are the obstacle classes. Never boring as every show is different set up. From a hula hoop over the horse, mailboxes with squeaky toys, water holes, empty swimming pools, over poles, over bridges, sidepassing in many variations, ground tie, etc. It is a test of how much you work with your mini and how much they trust you.

Obstacle driving is the same only in cart with pivoting left and right in place, backing, cone driving and always something new to show your agility and the horses in the cart.

There is pleasure driving and country pleasure driving depending on your horses movements in cart. I also do roadster as I am lucky to have a mare that loves to move fast in a trot.

Never be afraid to try something new, watch a few shows, ask questions and work with your horse to achieve your goals. Having fun is the best part, winning is just a bonus.

We have shown

4H: Halter, In Hand Obstalcle, In Hand Hunter, Driving, and Showmanship

AMHR: Halter, Showmanship, Pleasure, Country Pleasure, Roadster, Park, Youth Fancy Turnout, In Hand and Driving Obstacle, Hunter, Jumper, Leadline, Costume, Versatility, and Liberty (I think think the only class we HAVEN'T tackled is Chariot!)

ADS: Carriage Driving (Cones, Obstacle, Marathon, Working Pleasure, Reinsmanship, Turnout, Coach Dog), Horse Driving Trial, Combined Driving Trial, and Arena Driving Trial

Open Shows: Whatever we can
laugh.gif

This didn't happen overnight; we started showing minis in 1997 but have owned them since 1986!! (slow learning curve)

We have also done parades, classroom demonstrations, church activities, nursery schools, birthday parties, trail drives, girl scout/boy scout badge work, and driving clinics for our 4H, Pony Club, and Iowa Miniature Horse Club.

IowaStateFairSpiceDriving.jpg
Pleasure Driving

MassionCityCarriage003.jpg
Reinsmanship, Carriage Show

IowaStateFairTikiJumpimg.jpg
Jumping

allaroundpics014.jpg
Halter

MassionCityCarriage002.jpg
Working Pleasure, Carriage Show

2005IMHCshow052.jpg
Showmanship

2005IMHCshowLanceObstacle.jpg
In Hand Obstacle

Nationals028PattySally.jpg
Roadster

ChrisDraco-2000driving.jpg
Country Pleasure (the early years
biggrin.gif
)

carriageharness111.jpg
Combined Driving--Cones

Better stop--I'll be here all day!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is so much more to minis than showing--2 years ago, my daughter Patty was doing a poster for 4H call "What Can Minis Do?" and these are a few pictures graciously sent by Forum members and friends:

fouracross.jpg

caseywithshovel.jpg

This next one is my all time favorite picture in the whole world:

DejaVisit1.jpg

BestdressedcustumeGoldCoastHorsesho.jpg

2003taildrive2.jpg

IowaStateFairJesseLeadline.jpg

fawnie3.jpg

horsewinter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back