What do you do for preg test near due date?

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Pregnancy, Foaling and Mare Stare' started by LostandFound, Apr 26, 2020.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Apr 26, 2020 #1

LostandFound

LostandFound

LostandFound

My mare was confirmed in foal with a blood test at 4 months, then with an ultrasound at 6 months. Now here we are over a year and no foal. Weefoal is only accurate to 300 days, and ultrasound isn't supposed to be very helpful at this point either. My vet won't palpate a mini. She doesn't have much of a belly or a bag, but she is a maiden. What other options do I have?

2. Apr 27, 2020 #2

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Are you able to post some pics of her ? One from directly behind, down at her level 5m back ? One of her udder.

Unless your vet has really small hands , it is often very hard to palpate. With Maiden mares, they often carry much higher up in the rib cage, so less noticeable.

3. Apr 27, 2020 #3

LostandFound

LostandFound

LostandFound

There is little to nothing to see. From behind one side of her belly stuck out a few inches further than the other up until a few weeks ago. Now both sides are the same, which I figured was the baby getting ready to come out. But it's an impossible call if she is slightly overweight or a maiden that is hiding it very well. Udders most of the swelling is in front, nipples still tight together, not enough to see any bag in a picture but if you grope around you can feel that there is some swelling and it is firm most days.

4. Apr 27, 2020 #4

Maryann at MiniV

Maryann at MiniV

Maryann at MiniV

I take it you've not seen any movement or kicks? Remember, maidens don't always bag up like experienced mares.
    When was it estimated she'd be due?

5. Apr 27, 2020 #5

LostandFound

LostandFound

LostandFound

I thought I had but very minimal. I figured that was about normal for a maiden carrying high, but now I can't think back and swear they were kicks. She would be 370 days today.

6. May 6, 2020 #6

Holly Chisholm

Holly Chisholm

Holly Chisholm

MHT Supporter MHT Supporter

7. May 6, 2020 #7

LostandFound

LostandFound

LostandFound

Nope. She did show some colicy signs one day and then the shape of her belly changed a bit. And I'm almost positive I saw some actual kicking but this is getting ridiculous. She now has the tiniest dip down in her belly, and nothing at all from behind.

8. May 16, 2020 #8

Kristin

Kristin

Kristin

I bought a said to be pregnant (and due this spring/summer) mini mare almost 3 weeks ago... I wanted confirmation and to know she and foal looked healthy, I had vet out and she did a basic external ultrasound, she could see the foal moving and the heartbeat.

9. May 21, 2020 at 9:26 AM #9

LostandFound

LostandFound

LostandFound

What I have been told is that it depends on how far along they are. Though maybe my vets just have cheap ultrasound machines because I have never had one tell me they would be able to hear a heartbeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted