What do you do for preg test near due date?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

LostandFound

Reaction score
My mare was confirmed in foal with a blood test at 4 months, then with an ultrasound at 6 months. Now here we are over a year and no foal. Weefoal is only accurate to 300 days, and ultrasound isn't supposed to be very helpful at this point either. My vet won't palpate a mini. She doesn't have much of a belly or a bag, but she is a maiden. What other options do I have?

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
Are you able to post some pics of her ? One from directly behind, down at her level 5m back ? One of her udder.

Unless your vet has really small hands , it is often very hard to palpate. With Maiden mares, they often carry much higher up in the rib cage, so less noticeable.

LostandFound

Reaction score
There is little to nothing to see. From behind one side of her belly stuck out a few inches further than the other up until a few weeks ago. Now both sides are the same, which I figured was the baby getting ready to come out. But it's an impossible call if she is slightly overweight or a maiden that is hiding it very well. Udders most of the swelling is in front, nipples still tight together, not enough to see any bag in a picture but if you grope around you can feel that there is some swelling and it is firm most days.

LostandFound

Reaction score
I thought I had but very minimal. I figured that was about normal for a maiden carrying high, but now I can't think back and swear they were kicks. She would be 370 days today.

LostandFound

Reaction score
Nope. She did show some colicy signs one day and then the shape of her belly changed a bit. And I'm almost positive I saw some actual kicking but this is getting ridiculous. She now has the tiniest dip down in her belly, and nothing at all from behind.

Kristin

Reaction score
I bought a said to be pregnant (and due this spring/summer) mini mare almost 3 weeks ago... I wanted confirmation and to know she and foal looked healthy, I had vet out and she did a basic external ultrasound, she could see the foal moving and the heartbeat.

LostandFound

Reaction score
What I have been told is that it depends on how far along they are. Though maybe my vets just have cheap ultrasound machines because I have never had one tell me they would be able to hear a heartbeat.

LostandFound

Reaction score
She changed shape, got a full bag, waxed up, she lost a mucous plug, she went into pre-labor. Then nothing. I finally got someone else out to ultrasound and there was no foal. Absolutely the most frustrating experience ever.