What do you all feed your Mini's? And questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAddict21

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Okay, as I have stated in my "introduction" in the picture section, I am new into the world of Mini's.
default_smile.png
Arrow is my first mini. He is 17 month old colt. I will be getting another mini on saturday and my big horse will be leaving. (Yes I have left the big horses for minis hehe).. Anyway moving on to the actual question.. What do you all feed your mini's? I want to make sure I do everything right with mine. And as I have seen there is some differences in the ways horses and mini's are fed.
[/SIZE]

Here is what Arrow has been getting. [SIZE=14pt]He is out on grass 24/7 but it isn't lushious grass.. He has free choice of hay as well and I have been feeding him the Reliance pelleted feed twice a day 1/2 a grain scooper each time. Which measures out to about 1/2 a lb-1 lb of pellet's aday. He can get to a salt/mineral block. Winter is coming and I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to keep him healthy.[/SIZE]

I know about the beet pulp and have asked our local feed store if they could order me some and they are supposed to. I have seen a lot of you talking about supplements..Should I be giving him a supplement? If so what should I get?

Also the mini I will be getting on Saturday is a 4 year old Stud. He is WAY over weight and the only thing they have been doing as far as feeding goes, is having him turned out in a 25 acre pasture. So what should I be doing with him? Almost all my grass is gone and it has done got quite cold here. Should he have free choice hay as well? Should he be grained? How should I go about feeding him all together?

Another question (haha I am full of them tonight), both of them will be gelded soon. When they are gelded should I feed anything different or continue doing what I have been? Thanks so much and any advice yall can offer would be great!

Are they on, do they have a dry lot? I think more important to miniatures. I like it as then I can really say for sure what they are getting food wise.

I feed Safe Choice, lessons the weight problem, they don't need a bunch of empty carbs anyway. Mine have all done great on it! I also use beep pulp, but not big on supplements,,,like to keep it simple and simple works here.

You will get many different types of answers,,,all that works well for them.

Are they on, do they have a dry lot? I think more important to miniatures. I like it as then I can really say for sure what they are getting food wise.I feed Safe Choice, lessons the weight problem, they don't need a bunch of empty carbs anyway. Mine have all done great on it! I also use beep pulp, but not big on supplements,,,like to keep it simple and simple works here.

You will get many different types of answers,,,all that works well for them.
[SIZE=12pt]It's not quite a dry lot but there isn't much grass left. Is Safe Choice the name of the feed? Sorry I'm not familiar with a lot of different brands of feed lol My dad is real old fashioned and he only ever fed sweet feed with a little whole corn mixed in.. I know that isn't good for them now but I didn't growing up. So I now need a "feed lesson" lol Okay... I am good on the beet bulp, I have that coming
default_smile.png
Thanks so much for the information.
[/SIZE]

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis. They are quite addicting as you have already discovered.

Ask 100 different horse owners, and you are likely to get 100 different answers as to what to feed.

There is a search feature at the top of the page, and if you search feed topics you will get more information than you'll know what to do with, but it'll provide lots of good information about feeding minis and the different feed programs used by the members here. [There are tons of topics on beet pulp, feed programs and everything else you might want to know about minis.] And, feel free to ask questions.

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis. They are quite addicting as you have already discovered.Ask 100 different horse owners, and you are likely to get 100 different answers as to what to feed.

There is a search feature at the top of the page, and if you search feed topics you will get more information than you'll know what to do with, but it'll provide lots of good information about feeding minis and the different feed programs used by the members here. [There are tons of topics on beet pulp, feed programs and everything else you might want to know about minis.] And, feel free to ask questions.

[SIZE=12pt]Alright, thanks so much I will try that. [/SIZE]

Welcome

Everyone has their own way of feeding. What works for one farm sometimes doesn't work for another. We all have our own pet peeves and favorite brands. I prefer Purina but there are plenty other brands that are also very good. I do steer very clear of sweet feed personally and I wouldn't have mine on pasture 24-7 or they would blow. Using the search feature above is a great idea. I would however suggest you go to Walmart or Staples and purchase an inexpensive postage scale, about $13.00 and weigh your feed. You would be very surprised to see how much you are actually feeding if it is not weighed. Just put the food in a little zip lock sandwich bag and place it on the scale to see where you are really at.

Also be sure you have separate paddocks ready so you can separate your two horses before you bring the new horse in or you might have a horrible battle on your hands. Two stallions together = disaster looking for a place to happen. Don't forget a good safe adequate shelter as well. Best wishes and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
WelcomeEveryone has their own way of feeding. What works for one farm sometimes doesn't work for another. We all have our own pet peeves and favorite brands. I prefer Purina but there are plenty other brands that are also very good. I do steer very clear of sweet feed personally and I wouldn't have mine on pasture 24-7 or they would blow. Using the search feature above is a great idea. I would however suggest you go to Walmart or Staples and purchase an inexpensive postage scale, about $13.00 and weigh your feed. You would be very surprised to see how much you are actually feeding if it is not weighed. Just put the food in a little zip lock sandwich bag and place it on the scale to see where you are really at.

Also be sure you have separate paddocks ready so you can separate your two horses before you bring the new horse in or you might have a horrible battle on your hands. Two stallions together = disaster looking for a place to happen. Don't forget a good safe adequate shelter as well. Best wishes and good luck.

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks so much. I am in the process of getting the scale.. lol I'm always going to get it but somehow end up forgetting it all the time hehe But I will get it. I have seperate fields ready.. And they both will be gelded sometime next week. Thanks
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Welcome! I'm a newbie myself, having only had minis for a little over a year. I've discovered that my big horses continue to lose more of their space as the minis take over! For now I have both sizes (kept separate) but as time passes and the oldsters leave, I'm hoping to replace them with minis.

Anyway, just wanted to say that when I first got my minis I completely panicked and felt like a total beginner, even though I've had horses for 45 years. I kept thinking the minis were a completely different species and everything I knew about horses didn't mean squat. I gradually relaxed and realized that while there are some differences, pretty much everything that goes for full-sized horses goes for minis.

I have my minis on the same feeding program as my big horses, with a few exceptions. I give my minis Triple Crown Lite (instead of a senior feed) and platinum performance (a general vitamin) with some beet pulp. My minis get a 75/25 grass/alfalfa mix hay. I weigh everything I give them, too. They are on a dry lot most of the day but get turned out in the big horse field for two hours. That field is basically a dry lot right now, as well, being that this is Southern CA. They also get "treat time" - 30 minutes in an irrigated grass paddock.

My minis are on the same worming/vaccination schedule as big horses. They get their feet trimmed when the farrier comes to do the big horses (every five-six weeks). And while I bodyclip my big horses during winter (for riding purposes), I bodyclip my mins spring, summer and fall (it gets really hot here).

This forum is a wonderful source of info - it's as addicting as miniature horses are!!!

As said you will get many different answers...

For example, I do not, nor will I ever, use a "dry lot" I just cannot see the sense, sorry!

Like you my horses are out 24/7 with absolutely no harm to them whatsoever, they are fine and fat and happy.

I do not grain feed my horses at all at this time of year.

NOTHING, zilch, nada.

The only horses being fed are my old stallion and my yearling stud colt and the weaning foals.

The mares are on grass only, and will be til Christmas, that is my "start feeding" time.

This cuts back considerably on cost and work.

I do have stalls etc, but if the horses can crap in the field, you don't have to muck out!!!
default_wink.png

I do believe they are happier, too, although I should point out that most horses are happy with whichever routine you settle them into.

But when I see people asking about horses chewing the barn or making an awful mess in the stall I do think those horses would be much happier just out grazing, as they were intended to.

Before I would make comment on the stallion you are getting I would need to know how tall he is and roughly what he weighs, and hopefully see a picture, it is very easy to mistake a blown belly full of worms and a big shaggy coat for fat at this time of year.

But just off the top of my head, accepting that he is very fat, I would continue feeding the colt as you are and cut out all grain for the stallion and just let him graze, even though you say your grass is nearly gone.

Once he has started to lose weight you can reassess the situation.

You know about horses....these are horses too, they are just little!

Use the knowledge you already have and you will be fine.

PS do not use QUEST to worm Minis!!!

I have a mare that would founder on a pasture 24-7, but a donkey that wouldnt, I also have a mare that wants to be in the stall even if it means being in there alone while the others stand around outside. You have to get to know your horse and their likes -dislikes , I have a horse that will have a mild colic in November , typically on a Saturday or sunday evening.. So, I do believe in a dry lot, or some place where they can move around quite a bit without getting extra food. If you have a sick horse and you are monitoring the food or meds this dry lot is helpful, also if your horse ends up being one that can founder, or colic. Muzzles are helpfull also if you are a pony owner. not to keep weight down, but to save them the pain of Laminitis or founder. We lack sillium (sp) here so we must provide a mineral suppiment ALWAYS or the skin becomes thin and tears open. If your giving your horse a nice pasture to eat from , then chances are you wont need a grain or hard food also ... however when that grass is gone (next month ) you might want to add a supplimental food, just depends on how good your hay is , and what the horse needs....they are all very different. You have to go by the the horses needs , not by what others do , we all do something different .

my (7) minis...

2 studs on dry lots 24/7

2 mares on dry lots 24/7

2 mares in stall at night: daytime dry lot

2009 filly in stall at night: daytime dry lot

everyday small flake of hay 2 times a day. (clover/grass mix) & (orchard grass mix)

grain is a snack and gets a 2 cup scoop 1-2 times per week (Platform mini)

if i tie them out on the yard/field with 35" leads to graze for 5 hrs, then only 1 small flake of hay a day.

I feed 12 hrs apart: 10am & 10pm (11:30pm x2 per week because of work)

Filly gets same but way less of hay and her diet will be changing soon to Equine JR

As said you will get many different answers...For example, I do not, nor will I ever, use a "dry lot" I just cannot see the sense, sorry!

Like you my horses are out 24/7 with absolutely no harm to them whatsoever, they are fine and fat and happy.

I do not grain feed my horses at all at this time of year.

NOTHING, zilch, nada.

The only horses being fed are my old stallion and my yearling stud colt and the weaning foals.

The mares are on grass only, and will be til Christmas, that is my "start feeding" time.

This cuts back considerably on cost and work.

I do have stalls etc, but if the horses can crap in the field, you don't have to muck out!!!
default_wink.png

I do believe they are happier, too, although I should point out that most horses are happy with whichever routine you settle them into.

But when I see people asking about horses chewing the barn or making an awful mess in the stall I do think those horses would be much happier just out grazing, as they were intended to.

Before I would make comment on the stallion you are getting I would need to know how tall he is and roughly what he weighs, and hopefully see a picture, it is very easy to mistake a blown belly full of worms and a big shaggy coat for fat at this time of year.

But just off the top of my head, accepting that he is very fat, I would continue feeding the colt as you are and cut out all grain for the stallion and just let him graze, even though you say your grass is nearly gone.

Once he has started to lose weight you can reassess the situation.

You know about horses....these are horses too, they are just little!

Use the knowledge you already have and you will be fine.

PS do not use QUEST to worm Minis!!!

[SIZE=14pt] Didn't even think of posting a picture for reference until you said something.. These are pictures the current owner sent me. Please excuse the flies they apparently don't believe in fly spray/fly masks. He is 32 inches. I know in some of the pictures, his legs look a little off (That's what I was told anyway) But keep in mind he will be GELDED! I am in no way at all going to use him as a stud. Also I seen him in person and his legs look fine and he has had a vet check and everything passed
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

billythekid3.jpg

Billythekid.jpg

Billythekid2.jpg

While he might be a little chubby, he is no where near obese; and going into winter I wouldn't worry about being in a hurry to take any weight off. And, if he's not to be shown, then I don't know if I'd worry at all. [i don't think I'd want him to gain any, but I wouldn't worry about putting him on a diet.]

Nice little horse , nice legs. I think he looks fine too. I like a little extra weight on them before winter too.
default_smile.png

Okay.. So he should be fine going into winter then? I do want to show him.. And it would be next year before I did anything like that. Not really anything big but just to have fun.. And I plan on teaching him to drive
default_smile.png

Welcome to the world of minis! As a newbie mini owner and newbie horse owner, I totally understand trying to grasp everything possible as quickly as possible.

Don't worry! You'll get there. And there is incredibly fabulous information being offered here on these boards. I always start with a search first...we're not the first newbies! Then I try to ask my questions as specifically as possible to help get it narrowed down sooner rather than later.

I'm still fussing over my own feeding program right now so I'll hold off giving any advice on that yet. Good luck and don't forget to share pictures!

Photos of my girls can be seen on my blog: www.simplyme.typepad.com. Just scroll through the posts until you find the pics
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back