What do you all do ......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topnotchminis

Reaction score
Hi everyone with show season coming in the next few months clipping has been on my brain. I can't wait till it warms up. Anyway what do you all do with those hard to clip horses? Any tips or tricks out there? Any training suggestions? Thanks

We've only had issues with ears in general. Heads in general they don't seem to enjoy as much, likely the noise.

Two people help - one to clip and one to twitch (by hand on the upper lip) for the harder ones.

Otherwise, they get use to it, even if they never like it. It's important to use good blades that don't overheat (change them when they get warm) or drag/pull more than cut the hair. When we clip we keep a bunch of blades ready and two sets of clippers.

Good question. I will be anxious to see some answers too.

I have a nice mare that totally hates to have her legs shaved. So, I wasnt able to show

her last year. And would really like to show her this year.

Dormasedan. If I have one who is really fighting and if the twitch on the nose does not work, and I have tried everything I will put out the dormsedan. Its 100 degrees outside, i'm tired...pony is grumpy, I am probably a little bit grumpy...its just easier. You vet will give you a shot of it if you tell them how much the horse weighs.

The ears can be difficult, depends on the horse. Some are more picky then others. Some if you just give them a few minutes and a twitch on the nose and other ear, you can get them done. Other times, that will make it worst. Legs can be a pain, as well as the head as there is so much bone structure there.

But with all the work I put into it, months of work and feeding, show is paid for...if the only thing standing infront of getting to that show is getting the horse clipped, I pull out some dormasedan. Takes maybe 5 minutes for them to get fully out, will be standing but head hung a bit, then after im all done I turn them out in the roundpen to wake up and walk it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a horse used to the clippers at a time it isn't do or die, like getting ready for a show. But when it is show time and one is giving me trouble, I don't fight with them. I'm always clipping by myself, so I use dorm like Leeana. I buy it in 5ml bottles so I always have on hand. Also, I agree have plenty of blades that are sharp and don't let them get too warm. Put cotton in the ears as I think it reduces noise and vibration and reduces the amount of hairs that get down inside the ears.

Mostly, be patient. Good luck!

I've had good luck with clicker training horses that are bad with clippers. Let them hear and see the clippers, click/treat a few times, have them touch the clippers, C/T, lay the clippers on their body, C/T, clip a little, C/T, and so on. They learn really quickly that clippers are a good thing!

Even my ones that start out terrified of the noise and vibration end up totally relaxed after this process (at least in my experience). I was training a young pony (14 hh) for a neighbor, they had basically forced him into a corner and held him down to clip him the one time they had tried, making him totally afraid of clippers. I was getting him ready for his next show and needed to give him a trim, so I spent a few minutes clicking him and was able to clip him by myself while he stood quite and calm. My neighbor's mother who had watched both clippings was shocked that he was so good for me. He even let me trim the outside of his ears with no struggle.

I've had good luck with clicker training horses that are bad with clippers. Let them hear and see the clippers, click/treat a few times, have them touch the clippers, C/T, lay the clippers on their body, C/T, clip a little, C/T, and so on. They learn really quickly that clippers are a good thing!
I really want to try this on my big mare for sure. She is afraid of so much! Do you have a clicker training book you recommend?

Dormasedan. If I have one who is really fighting and if the twitch on the nose does not work, and I have tried everything I will put out the dormsedan. Its 100 degrees outside, i'm tired...pony is grumpy, I am probably a little bit grumpy...its just easier. You vet will give you a shot of it if you tell them how much the horse weighs.
I'm not a big fan of using drugs. I prefer training or if I need to, use of the humane twitch for ears and sometimes legs. However I was just discussing this issue with my farrier. This year I have a filly that has just been resistant to all of my usual training methods, now I'm actually planning on having my vet/chiropractor look at her because she had a fairly traumatic birth and I think her neck is bothering her. I was talking about showing her and how the heck can I clip her when she fights everything. He said that Dormasedan now comes in an oral liquid form and to see if my vet would get me some. I might just have to look into it! I certainly don't want to turn clipping into a knock-down drag out fight!!

Hi, I clip professionally for several Show Jumping yards and in my 20 years experience I have seen it all from frightened to viscous. Most of the horses I clip are over 180cm so I don't risk anything. I try training similar to the clicker thing. Clippers are shown treat, clippers nearer treat etc. If there is no hope or I am at risk I will eventually sedate the horse but I never use dormosedan as it makes them sweat I always use Prequillan in the muscle about 20 minutes before clipping. It is softer so the horse does actually know you are there but he doesn't care, he is in "Happy Land"
new_rofl.gif

I also do this with mini's but I only ever have to do it once as they soon learn. I have a small cordless dog style clipper that I keep in my grooming kit and I always trim up something just to keep them used to the idea. When it is the real thing I put cotton wool in their ears and turn up the radio.

Oh and don't forget to keep the foals and youngsters close by whilst clipping so they can watch and learn.

Good luck and have fun.
risa8.gif

I'm not a big fan of using drugs. I prefer training or if I need to, use of the humane twitch for ears and sometimes legs. However I was just discussing this issue with my farrier. This year I have a filly that has just been resistant to all of my usual training methods, now I'm actually planning on having my vet/chiropractor look at her because she had a fairly traumatic birth and I think her neck is bothering her. I was talking about showing her and how the heck can I clip her when she fights everything. He said that Dormasedan now comes in an oral liquid form and to see if my vet would get me some. I might just have to look into it! I certainly don't want to turn clipping into a knock-down drag out fight!!
Not a liquid, but rather a gel. The injectable can also be used orally.

http://www.dormosedangel.com/faq.html

Dr Taylor

I received a video as a prize on Lil Beginnings a few years ago. There were actually three, but one dealt with bathing and clipping for a show.

The lady used a small clamp on the horse's nose. It takes only 30 seconds or so for the horse to get his mind off the clipping and onto the fact that their nose is pinched. (bought the plastic clip at Canadian Tire)

I keep the nose clip handy for hoof trimming on those that are no enjoying their trim.

I could write a book on this, but I'll give you one hint on legs. Have a helper lift the off side leg while you clip the leg you want. Some times it works, but on the front if they have a mind to they can still hop around. On clipping in general, don't wait until the last minute, start with acclimating the horse to the clippers now. Rub the neck with them off, praise. Let it go. Next time the horse is being groomed, rub neck again with them off, praise. Turn clippers on, rub again. Easy does it. Keep doing this until the horse accepts the noise and vibration. I have found that they don't mind you clipping an itchy neck first, stay away from the head the first time and just do a small area. Keep clipping a small area every day. Keep blades cool with cool lube and keep on clipping every day until horse is done. The head is the hardest, and ears, well you may have to twitch. Just go slow and stay calm. Repetition and reward usually works.

I really want to try this on my big mare for sure. She is afraid of so much! Do you have a clicker training book you recommend?
I was told about Alexandra Kurland's "The Click That Teaches" when I was first interested in clicker training and it was great to get me started.

Many good suggestions. When body clipping I usually start at the hip and work my way forward. By the time you are getting to sensitive areas they don't like, they are desensitized somewhat to the clippers on their bodies.

Good question. I will be anxious to see some answers too.

I have a nice mare that totally hates to have her legs shaved. So, I wasnt able to show

her last year. And would really like to show her this year.
I had one mare that hated having her legs done. I used a blow dryer (hair dryer) on cool to gentle work up and down her legs. It got her used to the vibration without being in as much dangers from kicks. Just a few times with the dryer - about 5 minutes eachtime - and she was fine with the clippers. She just had to be desenstizied.

I also do the legs first. The clippers are cooler, I'm cooler, and the horse is cooler.

Many good suggestions. When body clipping I usually start at the hip and work my way forward. By the time you are getting to sensitive areas they don't like, they are desensitized somewhat to the clippers on their bodies.

I have to laugh, because I do it the opposite- I do heads first while the clippers are cool, then legs, then body.

But my guy goes to sleep, so no biggie!
default_laugh.png

My first mini had been shown so the clippers were no big deal to him. His ears were the worst but over time he has become accustomed to it. I clip by myself so mine have to first learn to stand in the cross ties. Next I work on whatever part that DOESN'T bother them. Most (I"ve started 2 yr old and months old babies) will let me clip the body right away. It has to do with trust so lots of handling and brushing and getting that trust.

Then I'll go to the part that bothers them. If it's the legs we might only get one or two done before we have to stop. I always go back to a part that they like or are comfortable with (so they stand quiet) before I quit. Always quit on a GOOD note. The first few times of clipping it make take a day or two days to get the whole horse done.

I also handle their ears, inside and out, when I brush and groom them. I also use the tiny Wahl clippers for ears as they fit into the ear better and are quieter. If the horse gets rowdy and impatient I try to calm them and then go to a place on them they aren't so touchy about. Most of mine actually like clipping and even the first time will almost doze while I do their faces. They really really like the one on one attention. Sort of like little kids in this way.

I have to laugh, because I do it the opposite- I do heads first while the clippers are cool, then legs, then body.

But my guy goes to sleep, so no biggie!
default_laugh.png
LOL - I always do the head on a separate day, usually the day before the show, so don't include that in the "body clipping" !!
default_biggrin.png

Knottymare said:
Amy and I can give you a crash course at the clinic next month. It's very helpful with a frightened or resistant horse!

ruffian said:
I also do the legs first. The clippers are cooler, I'm cooler, and the horse is cooler.
I finally figured out that trick last year. It looks incredibly stupid when I do the legs one day then the body the next but it's so much easier! No fussing over their legs because they're still patient and interested, the hard part is done, and the next day you can just zip all the body hair off and be completely finished. Hallelujah!

It makes so much more sense than doing the body first and dreading that just as you run out of light and patience, your back is killing you and the horse is ready to brain you...you get to do the hardest part. Plus that way I don't have to rewash the legs the next day before proceeding. I just put a sheet on overnight and the body is still clean enough to clip the next day.

Leia

Latest posts

Back