What do professional photographers use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I know about the skunks (not looking forward to acquiring one of those)!

Shiny stuff, animal skins, etc. I saw a fake skunk at my local feed store. Looks like the real deal, but its fake. Try looking for that, it was in the dog section.

A full length mirror strategically placed. The horse will often think it is another new horse.
default_wink.png

I use plastic bags, chip bags, dog toys that squeek, cell phone ringtone, water bottle, small blanket or pillowcase, crinkly paper, tick tacks ..those are just a few things that i have personally used. Plastic bags normally work good, but i do have one or two horses that just wont "show" at all to them and need grain.

A friend of mine using one of those stick horses that makes sounds, she shall remain nameless
default_risa_suelos.gif
. I actually bought one to try it out, i just have not gotten around to that yet.

If you have a colt or stallion that you are photographing, grab a broodmare or other stallion
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When we had the picture made of our mare, we used a mirror. It worked great.

I've used a full length mirror in the past that worked well and then it got steped on and cracked and it worked even better.

Be careful using a mare to get a stallion to "show" for a picture. We tried this once.

First, let me say we are NOT professionals by any stretch of the imagination, more like 3 hillbilly's with a picture box. Second, the stallion we were taking pictures of had never been shown so he had never been taught to stand up etc... There were 3 of us doing this, Dad taking pictures, I handled the stallion and Mom had the mare. Apparently the mare we were using was in heat and every time she came near the stallion which I had set perfectly for the picture, all we needed was neck arched, ears forward you know... the look, he moved before Dad shot the picture. After several times of this happening, Dad got frustrated and told Mom and I that we were doing it all wrong so I told him if he wanted to hold the stallion I would be happy to take the pictures. Of course he was going to show us both how to do things "right" and he got the stallion stood up, told Mom to bring the mare closer and of course the stallion moved. So Dad gave a big yank on the show halter and the lead broke and the stallion took off for the mare. As I said she was apparently in heat and the stallion took off and jumped the mare. Mom tried to lead the mare away but the stallion stayed up there and followed. So, we now have Dad standing in the yard holding an empty lead and muttering under his breath something about dang women (I'm not sure if he meant Mom and me or the mare), I'm chasing after the stallion who is after the mare and Mom is doing circles in the yard with the mare who now has a stallion attached to her.

Kelly

I finally got the stallion dismounted and settled a little bit, I fixed the lead, we put the mare away and finished the picture taking session. Didn't hear alot out of Dad the rest of the day.

Now this was way back in the dark ages before digital cameras and I think we took 8-10 rolls of film (24 exposures each) of 2 horses that day and we did get a couple really good ones of each. You can see a picture of at least one of the horses (the one in this story) Circle S Cadillac Jack on Fikes Miniature Horses website from North Dakota.

If you are going to try to take pictures yourself, have plenty of help. Either have people who are true friends and will forgive anything or people you didn't much care for anyway as you will probably be fighting with them before it is done.
default_biggrin.png

With all of mine, I used a donkey and a draft horse. My mare sets up when she sees someone new, so for 2 the draft horse worked. With my stallion he had never seen a donkey before, so he had his neck arched, ears up, awesome expression, I got some pretty good pics of him! Soon to be posted on photo forum.

But that doesn't work for my gelding, he could care less about other animals. So for him I use a feather duster. He looks at it like...
default_new_shocked.gif
... and it's pretty great.

mini1 that was too funny! Yup I agree, if you aren't fighting when you're done either one of you is a saint or you gave up before things got to far out of hand. lol So far our sad little attempts at picture taking haven't led my husband and I to divorce court but then I haven't gotten any truly fabulous pictures either.
default_biggrin.png

I don't know about professionals, but i use my digital camera and take about 25 for each one that is usable. Thank goodness for the delete button.
default_biggrin.png

Person number one.....with the camera.

Person number two.......handling the horse.

Person number three......crawling around just out of camera range acting like an idiot with all sorts of props.

Person number one.....with the camera.

Person number two.......handling the horse.

Person number three......crawling around just out of camera range acting like an idiot with all sorts of props.
That sounds like a " normal " photo session here
default_risa_suelos.gif
. Sometimes i wish there were three of me though
default_biggrin.png

Oh Mini 1 that was a priceless story..
default_biggrin.png
I just loved it..

Taking pictures has always been a 2 or more person job, and having a attention getter always helps..

And I try to pep talk my helpers before we start because some one usually always gets their toes stepped on in more ways than one.
default_yes.gif

MINI1 that story MADE MY MORNING way TOO FUNNY!!!!!

Is that a "family" story that gets pulled out and retold often, if not it SHOULD BE.

THANK YOU!

Usually, I have just pure luck. At the exact moment, someone or something will become interesting and, its a magical picture. I've also used mirrors once and a squeaky toy duck.

Oh boy, well, I am the only one here, so am out of luck when it comes to 'posed' pics.... I have to just try to catch some pasture shots and hope for the best!

What a crack up- I am sure we could all come up with some bizarre and funny photo session stories. Maybe I can find a full length mirror at a yard sale or something... a cheap one in case it gets broken!

That was a true story. We don't bring it up very often but every once in while something happens that reminds me of it and I will start laughing no matter what I'm doing. When I read this post I had to tell it, I remember it like it was yesterday and as I was typing it I was giggling, good thing no one else was here, they'd have thought I'd finally gone round the bend.

Even though we were all getting mad and frustrated that day, after it was over and I got to thinking how it would have looked if someone had pulled into the drive at that exact moment, the only thing to do was laugh.

Kelly

Dannigirl, taking an enormous number of photos is how the pros do it, too. They may get a higher percentage of usable shots, but you can bet that the ones that you see are not all that they took. Not only lots of shots, but bracketing exposure, etc.

With digital cameras, there's no reason NOT to take lots and lots of photos in hopes of getting at least one good one. (Although my mother-in-law still thinks she needs to limit her shots...)

I do most of my photographing early morning or late afternoon. This eliminates harsh light as I use all natural lighting. For action shots you need a high shutter speed. For posed shots a good handler is a bonus. I tend to take mostly natural shots so I spend a lot of time with my herd. I am always looking for something unique.Foals are fun to photograph as they are full of energy. I take lots of photos and eliminate most. A good DSR camera of 10 M is good. Nikon or Canon.I will then edit the photos in Adobe Photoshop. Always make sure you back up your photos to a cd. Here is my website so you may check out my photos. Just click on kenben equine photography.

http://www.geocities.com/kenbenca/homepage.html

KenBen

Latest posts

Back