What Do People Want?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I was wondering wha type of miniature horses seem to be in the most demand for other people? For me it is 34-36in big moving mares. I bet I get a couple calls a week from people that want broodstock for their driving programs. Wish I had more of them.

Here is the clicker. About half of those people that call WANT them AMHA- AMHR registered.

Half of those who've contacted me regarding foals for sale have wanted ASPC/AMHR. Almost every email has "How tall will they get".

[SIZE=12pt] Yep, most of the people inquiring about my ponies want big moving, flashy ponies that will stay under 38-ish inches
default_wink.png
I have 1 or 2 a year that might, although I have mostly larger ponies and no ASPC/AMHR HORSES, but most are just what they are advertised as, ponies
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I know people keep saying on here how the taller horses or the ASPC horses are in more demand but I get very, very few phone calls or emails on those. Why would I? We are not known for having those. I get the bulk of inquiries on smaller AMHR/AMHA black pintos even though our focus on those went by the way side a few years back.

Around here, I feel like most of the people interested in showing at a rated level, are interested in the A's. Quality comes first but most of the quality I see selling is double registered.

I find that those who are looking for pets, or for horses to show locally, are less concerned with size and registry and more concerned with finding a nice tempered, safe and sane animal, and sometimes color is a factor.

Personally, I prefer the A's that are close to 34", as I like to do performance, but I also want the dual registry because it offers more options in showing and breeding.

Most of the general inquiries I recieve are for halter quality double registered (ASPC/AMHR) intact colts. I haven't had any general inquiries on double registered (ASPC/AMHR) mares or fillies, but I offered one for sale earlier this year, and she sold the same day with several people interested. Then I have a list of people specifically interested in Red Alert foals.
default_wub.png

On the other hand, I have a really nice National Top Ten AMHR Over mare (Red Boy breeding) for sale that I get nibbles on, but still hasn't sold. I'm guessing if she was AMHR/AMHA registered (like Lavern mentioned), she'd have been snapped up quickly.
default_wacko.png

I think I kind of misstated what I meant. They WANT big moving too tall AMHA mares.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it stands to reason that most of us get calls from prospective buyers looking for what we are noted to have. We have both AMHR and AMHA minis and that is what my preference is. I don't breed for what others may like, I breed for what I like and on a very limited bases. I like a mini that is 33" to 35 " and have no desire to have the ASPC horses. We have had a number of calls this year for minis but will only have one available to sell. Our buyers seem to like a package of good conformation and great dispositions. Mary

For the most part, I prefer the 34-38" minis (which is what 6 of my 7 minis are), but that I said, I just adore my new 31" stallion (he'll probably be a really nice cross on my B mares).

laVern I get it I to have had calls for horses that are in the 35-36 in range and people wanting to know if they have AMHA papers on them. As well as those ASPC/AMHR reg horses that are easily over 38 inches but still wanting R papers

BIG MOVING AMHA/AMHR 32"-34" palomino/pinto, mare. Don't want much do I?

Oh Whitney, I just got goose bumps. Maybe -a Big Moving Bay with four socks. Dang it, thats why we breed too much. Alway the selfish dream. And, after all these years of trying, I sometimes feel that it has nothing to do with my planning. I think once in awhile God just says," Let this one be special."

Latest posts

Back