What do I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Wonders

Reaction score
My newborn filly (about 8 hours old) has a very bad case of diarreah. It's orange and liquidy like water. I have heard watery diarreah can kill foals quickly..... Should I be concerned??
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

Thanks,

Carly

I would be very concerned if she were my filly. You should really call your vet.

Definitely call your vet ASAP. It doesn't take long for a newborn foal to become dehydrated when it has diarrhea.

Yes by all means call your vet asap if you haven't done so. I keep BioSponge on hand, best diarrhea remedy I've found. Probios would probably be good as well but won't fix what's going on.

Mom's milk may be really rich for her right now and just overwhelming her system, or you may have something else going on. Either way you are right, diarrhea is dangerous for foals.

Jan

PLEASE CALL YOUR VET RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

Both my 2008 foals had diarrhea and ended up in ICU.

My first foal, a very early premie had bright yellowy liquid squirty diarrhea, when it was cultured it was Clostridium Difficile. She needed IV fluids and three different antibiotics, Probiotics, biosponge, pepto, seramune, carafate. So did my second premie colt, but he wasn't as sick as Lucy was( she almost died)

You must be very aggressive with foals with bad diarrhea, they dehydrate quickly. Make sure she is nursing a lot too! PLEASE call your vet! I was lucky, they are both home now and doing well.

Robin

Did she have a shot of pennicilin after she was born? Some vets suggest it as routine, and I stopped doing it after I noticed it gave all the foals the squirts. I would give your little one some Pepto Bismol until you hear from the vet.

How is your foal doing this morning? Hoping for a good update and that all is well, or on track to be.

Well her diarreah is gone but now she isn't pooping at all
default_no.gif
!! I forgot to add that the whites of her eyes are bloodstot. We did call a vet but he just gave us these large pills that are very difficult for her to swallow, and a thick pink medicine that she spits out. He told us it didn't sound concerning!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Sounds like she's on some antibiotics.......The pink liquid is probably Amoxicylin? If it is and you taste it, it will taste sort of like bubble gum. The other may be SMZ's which often come in large white tablets...... You might try disolving it in water and syringing it into her mouth.

Hope your little one is doing better.........It's always scary when a young one gets sick.

PS: If your baby seems to be constipated? Let the vet know and ask if you should give an enema.

Last edited by a moderator:
When our some of our dogs had diarrhea awhile back, the vet gave us some pink liquid med. It wasn't pepto... Maybe that could be it, too? I hope she will be okay!

Latest posts

Back