What do do with extra show ribbons...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littleum

Reaction score
I was dusting today and put some Championship sashes on the floor. My cat found a great new use for them! I'm sure Catch Me would be thrilled.
laugh.gif

DSCN1491.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

What I do with the extra ones is, I take them to work for the people to take home for their childern. Little kids like to play and show off with them. I am not saying that we are tired of getting them it's just you can only hang up so many. So instead of them sitting in a drawer or closet, let someone get someone else get some enjoyment from them.
yes.gif
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute
biggrin.gif
Cats can have fun with anything LOL.

Jan

lol well this is my first year at showing and i got seven, so ill never have too many,if any one gets fed up you can post them to me lol
biggrin.gif
im still waiting for my hubby to put a shelf up so i can pin them to it, im very proud of them,ive been around horses all my life and this is the first opportunity to win some
yes.gif
yes.gif

LOL! Leave it to cats to find entertainment with anything! My cats think empty feed sacks are great! Empty a sack, put it on the floor and within 5 minutes there will be a cat in it!
smile.gif

Our club has a box where as soon as you come out of the ring you can return your ribbons and they get recycled for the next year. We only keep the red and blue ones and return all others we've also taken garbage bags full to the county hospital for the kids who use them in crafts.
laugh.gif

I had always been taught to return my ribbons, for recycle... If they have the year on them though, I find other uses for them. I have made bows and put them on my christmas trees. A buddy of mine had a quilt made with his. Beautiful!!

biggrin.gif

Pretty much the only ribbons we save are the ones from nationals. If it was a

special ribbon we would save it. We usually turn all the ribbons back to the clubs

including the year end and most champion ones. My house is dusty enough. Linda
wub.gif

I love the cat photos!!

I've always it was a good idea to have a box where people could deposit their ribbons after a show if they wanted to. It helps keep costs down for future shows and all that, for sure. However, "some people" (i.e. my husband) think it's tacky I never thought there was such a thing as too many ribbons, but I'm beginning to change my mind now.....

Depends on what color they are. At my last horse show I had an 8 year old boy and his 5 year old sister show my mare as I was still recovering from a surgery. He got a 5th in one class and wasn't worried that it was a 5th. He was upset because it was pink
biggrin.gif
. So, I told him if his sister got a different color maybe she would trade. She ended up with a second and they traded. So, you can always trade up
laugh.gif

Amanda

I have to say, I'm already not too fond of my own cats so they best stay out of the ribbons, especially the "good ribbons".

I have a trunk full of 2nd-10th and tons of reserve champions. I hang up firsts and championships, and the Nationals ones.

I'm soooo lazy and uncreative, but I was thinking you could make door wreaths out of the unused ribbons like using a styrofoam (sp?) form and wrapping the ribbons around it??? Maybe one day I'll try it out.

They're not Kitty's new toys, as much as she'd like to hope. ;) They were hanging off a trophy on the shelf, and I moved everything to dust. Although Kitty is now looking at them wistfully as I type. I imagine she'll get into them tonight.
rolleyes.gif

I want to have the boxes of sashes in the closet made into ribbon pillows, as soon as I manage to save up the pennies.

I'd always thought of a quilt, or just cushion covers- something anyway. ANYTHING would be better than throwing away trash bags full of the things as I did when I was doing Agility with the dogs- just too many to deal with. With the horses I throw away the low places straight ways- the Shows have no interest in having them back over here- I should bag them up and take them to a local school , I suppose. I'll have to get my act together!!

I do keep the important ones, like the Royal International and the Horse of the Year Show ones, they are extra pretty.

Speaking as the person in charge of 'caring for'(meaning storing, counting, ironing, readying and doing the order for the next year, etc.)the rosettes for our big annual club-sponsored show for nearly all of the 13-and-counting years of its existence, I have to say...please, if you don't want/won't keep ANY ribbon you win, donate it back to the show(in clean, unmarked condition, of course!) Even from the most reasonably-priced suppliers, rosettes/ribbons are getting increasingly quite expensive; donating back helps keep the overall expenses of the show down, and therefore benefits EVERY exhibitor! Of course, you should keep each and every one if you really want to, but if/when you don't, it is much more thoughtful to donate them back to the sponsoring organization, then and there, than to toss them into the nearest trash can(which, unfortunately, is seen....). We use the ones that aren't quite up to par for awarding at the 'big' show as "silly ribbon" awards at fun shows.

I only have a few ...nothing fancy. I do plan on keeping them all though just for a reminder and all that stuff. I have a couple hanging up in my room and the rest are out in the barn hanging up. But i only have like 3 left from everything over the summer because i loose everything after a while and i didnt plan on keeping them but im planning on keeping them from now on though.

I say let em' build up ..i dont throw away nothing.

biggrin.gif

Leeana

Last edited by a moderator:
Margo is right ribbons are soooo expensive for clubs and organizations to by I

can't see throwing them away. We hang them on the stalls when we win them at

the show and then when I go to settle up I turn them all in. Believe me it is

appreciated! It also helps keep down the cost of entry fees because it helps

keep down the show managers costs. I have so many on my walls I have no

space to put any more! The kids upon occasion will keep one that is special to

them or it will be a particular horses last show before retiring I will save that. We

have donated so many ribbons over the years all the fun clubs in the area call me

to save ribbons for them for donations. One lady up here is also making adorable

stuffed animals with ribbons, they are awesome! Linda B
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back