What do breeders do with "too tall" minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I didn't post what I was looking for, on this BB because you are NOT allowed to advertise, and I respect that. As for wanting a mare, I like mares. If she cannot ever be bred, that is TOTALLY FINE - in fact, someone emailed me about such a mare who would not be able to be rebred, but was wonderful around children. If this woman is near me, this is something I would certainly be interested in. I am NOT out looking for a bred mare either, and have no interest in doing so. I just wanted it to be known that I also wouldn't refuse a bred mare either.

I understand that show quality Minis go for thousands of dollars, and being that I have been showing full sized horse for 20 years, I also understand the dedication, time, and costs that are involved with that. However, as I keep saying over and over again....I am ONLY wanting a companion for my companion Mini. Thats IT. I just can't justify paying $1,000 or even $800 on something that just to be a buddy for my overgrown yard dog - much as I do love him. Heck, if I have to, I'll get him a Goat

"The amount you spent on your pony was exorbitant around here unless it was trained in western and english and would pony club, at which point you got a heck of a good deal."

Well, in the pony show world, while the jack of all trade ponies like the one you just described are wonderful pets, the money is in Hunters. Take a look at the Pony Finals going on in Ky right now. The majority of this ponies are worth several hundred THOUSAND dollars.

Yes, I agree the price of that over sized mare was fair, and I may go back and buy her, but the seller isn't desperate to sell, and I would rather keep looking a bit more, so it works out no matter what. Again, I am sorry to have ruffled your feathers, but for future reference, if a potential buyer ever ruffles those feathers of yours again, you may want to just contact that buyer directly instead of just dragging it all out on a public BB.

Now, if you have anything else to say to me, I would rather you just PT me, as I don't feel anyone would really care to read any more of our little squabble.

"and the price for the oversize mare is right in line....so it was $100 over the amount you wanted to spend? I got to tell you if you do not have the funds to negotiate the sale of a nice horse...how would you afford to vet one?"

My ponies are all up to date on their shots, worming, Coggins, trims, etc, and while we don't have a alot of money, if one needed emergancy surgery etc. we would just find a way to pay for it. So, whats wrong with trying to save money? You know, I understand that there is no such thing as a free horse, as I once got a 17 hand New Zealand TB for free because he was sick and crazy. I nursed him back and he was the best horse I ever owned, but I hate to think of all the $$ he cost, lol, but of course it was all worth it. Buying the horse is normally teh cheapest part - but nothing wrong in wanting to save money.

I can tell you when i see any add asking for a free, cheap or very low cost mini but.. they want a mare, they might breed, they might want it to be in foal. Doesnt have to have papers or be to correct or the opposite very correct and bred for cheap well i go straight on by. I am not a rich person by any means but... a companion is just that and most of the time a gelding would suit the needs - not a mare in foal or whatever

but that is just me and what I do
wacko.gif

I got my warmblood gelding from the slaughter pens he was cheap and went on to kick butt in the show ring both HUS and dressage but the key there was he wasnt a mare in foal

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back