What colour are these ponies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie

Reaction score
Thanks all, got my answer, deleted pics as i didnt take them.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my eyes, the mare looks sabino bay roan (vs. "true roan").

First foal looks silver bay.

Second foal looks sabino roan sorrel.

Stallion -- Grey?

Stallion by the stallion, sabino roan sorrel I think.

To my eyes, the mare looks sabino bay roan (vs. "true roan").

First foal looks silver bay.

Second foal looks sabino roan sorrel.

Stallion -- Grey?

Stallion by the stallion, sabino roan sorrel I think.

Wow, thanks.

Ok, but to be a roan, you must have a roan parent & the mare doesnt?

To me eyes the 1st foal pictured looks liver chestnut, or a paler shade off.

2nd foal (headshot) looks chestnut?

1st stallion is definite silver, he's produced silver to none silver mares (i've owned 1, his dam had no silver parents), this is the boy i owned out of the grey looking stallion.

new_UPWBDA.jpg

The last stallion pictured, produced a silver to my black tobiano mare, she has no silver in her bloodlines neither.

new_100_0538.jpg

Its interesting isnt it, lol.

To be true roan, one parent must be roan, but I think your mare is sabino roan. She's not true roan with all that white ticking on her head (true roan would have a solid, dark head).

I love "mini" colors
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

To be true roan, one parent must be roan, but I think your mare is sabino roan. She's not true roan with all that white ticking on her head (true roan would have a solid, dark head).

I love "mini" colors
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Lol... well im just informed the "grey" coloured stallion was roan but greyed out & is now reg as a silver??

Hmmm so if he's not a silver, how'd i get a silver (black silver) out of my black tobiano mare?

Im confused, help me out Jill, lol.
default_biggrin.png

Silvers can go grey
default_smile.png
He could even be a sorrel silver gone grey -- where'd you'd never even know to look he carried silver. OR he could be a very roaned out (vs. really greyed) sabino but to me, he looks grey at this time.

Silvers can go grey
default_smile.png
He could even be a sorrel silver gone grey -- where'd you'd never even know to look he carried silver. OR he could be a very roaned out (vs. really greyed) sabino but to me, he looks grey at this time.
Thanks Jill.

I've always wondered about it as when we got the black silver fella.... people said it's not possible, as the sire is reg as roan.

Always played on my mind in fact.

Have delewted the pics, i didnt take them so shouldnt of put them up.

But no harm in asking.

Its funny the colours & whatnot, this is a mare i had everyone tell me was silver.

What do you think, lol.. she's 15.

4f3ce8fc.jpg

51787043.jpg

That mare is not silver. I think people must have looked at the body color and use that to describe the horse color (which sounds reasonable enough but isn't correct). If that mare were silver, she'd have a flaxen mane and tail like the silver dapple you posted. She's black based and silver on black turns the mane / tail flaxen and would change the body color, too.

She's tricky, though, and I do not know what her color is. I want to say black sabino, because if she were a horse going grey and is 15yo in the picture, then I'd expect her to be "white" now and not have that black mane and tail still at all. If she were a much younger mare, I'd have guessed she's a black going grey.

I sure don't have the definitive answers, but it's fun to try and your horses are easy and nice to look at as well
default_yes.gif

That mare is not silver. I think people must have looked at the body color and use that to describe the horse color (which sounds reasonable enough but isn't correct). If that mare were silver, she'd have a flaxen mane and tail like the silver dapple you posted. She's black based and silver on black turns the mane / tail flaxen and would change the body color, too.

She's tricky, though, and I do not know what her color is. I want to say black sabino, because if she were a horse going grey and is 15yo in the picture, then I'd expect her to be "white" now and not have that black mane and tail still at all. If she were a much younger mare, I'd have guessed she's a black going grey.

I sure don't have the definitive answers, but it's fun to try and your horses are easy and nice to look at as well
default_yes.gif

Thanks Jill.

The very 1st pics i put up (& now deleted) be;long to a friend, lovely ponies, especially both colts!

The black silver & the brown silver i owned.

As for my "grey" mare.... she's actually a very well bred Mini Pony, but due to whom i bought her from, there was no paperwork & the society she is reg with, wont allow me to transfer her over.

So, i know the stud that bred her (but breeder hasnt her records that far back im afraid), but we dont know anything about her.
default_no.gif

Her sire could most likely be the "grey" (silver/roan, lol) stallion above but the dates dont work out, he would of been much too young then, or a stallion called Sterling Prince Charming, im told he's black roan (so blue roan??). Thats from the breeder direct.

The dam, we dont know.

A shame it is, so i've registered her simply as a grey with another society & with unknown breeding, because the society she's reg with, are playing hard to get. :DOH!

The pics of her where in Feb 2008, so recent pics, yep a genuine 15yo too.

Thats what i thought, at that age she should be much lighter?

If i was to colour test her, what test?

Some more pics of her & Jill.... thankyou for all your help.
default_biggrin.png

new_15thfeb1.jpg

10thfeb1.jpg

new_28thdec.jpg

See the lacing over her back?

new_19thnov3.jpg

She is so neatly colored!!!! I still am thinking black sabino roan. That lacing is just too cool!!!! I do see it and spotted it before I read the text. I do not know if there is a color test for Sabino? But at her age, if she were "grey", I cannot imagine her having that black a mane and tail.

The colors people register horses as are so often wrong which makes it confusing. Greys as "blue roans", silver dapples as "greys", silver bays as "sorrel". And who knows what else!!! But I do think she's black sabino.

Hopefully someone else that knows more about sabino can chime in and verify or correct my hunch!

Latest posts

Back