What Color Would He Be? (foal)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNSnowMini

Reaction score
I have a colt born April 14th and i'm wondering what color he'd turn out to be. The pinto is his sire, and the silver bay is the dam. He seems to have a dorsal stripe, we asked a local horse trainer and he said he looks like he'd turn out to be some sort of dun, but we dont know where he would get the dun from. His legs are a lighter color and we dont know where that came from either when both the dam and sire have dark legs.

Pinto is his sire* Sorry about that

013.JPG

023.JPG

033.JPG

185.JPG

196.JPG

448.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The dorsal you are seeing could just be baby dorsal, it'll likely disappear when the foal coat sheds. Colt looks silver bay to me. The light legs are also a foal coloring thing and should darken with age. [And, there is always a chance he could be sorrel (both parents could have recessive red genes to give to foal), but not likely looking at the greyish tint to the mane and tail.]

I am guessing sorrel. If each parent only has one black gene and one red, It is completely possible to get a red based foal, with or without agouti. Agouti will not show on a red based foal.

Silver bay-the dorsal is countershading and the lighter lower legs are just a defense mechanism. They'll darken up a little bit when his foal coat sheds.

Agree with silver bay... cute little guy!

Silver bay-the dorsal is countershading and the lighter lower legs are just a defense mechanism. They'll darken up a little bit when his foal coat sheds.

I agree with Amanda .....silver bay

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think he looks silver bay
default_wub.png

Back