What color is this!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smlotsocats

Reaction score
I just got a new mini today (again!). His sire is registered as a buckskin pinto but his color is very dilute like this little guy and his mane has this brownish tinge to it. This colts muzzle has a pinkish hue to it and his sheath is also pink. His eyes were bright blue until recently, now they are an amber color, like the color of his coat. I took these pics this afternoon and it was cloudy out so the golden higlights don't show up. His sides at times seem to have brindling but then at other times, looks more like blackish dapples. His dam is registered as a dun but has mottling on her muzzle and vulva and is now starting to roan out. I own the mares last foal, a 3 year old mare that is a grulla with zebra striping on her knees and hocks, a cross over her withers and a very black stripe down her back. If you need to see him in the sunlight I can take more pics tomorrow when the clouds clear out. I hope to compete in combined driving with this colt eventually, he's built like a little draft horse! He will also be gelded in the fall, VERY studdy already! Bad bad manners! Anyway, what color should I register him as?

100_3672.jpg

100_3670.jpg

He sounds almost like a champagne. I'm not for sure on that as I've only read about them but from what I've read it seems like he fits the bill. Maybe somebody else with some expertise could clarify?? Is his coat shimmery? Love his coloring!! Very pretty.

I would have said Smutty buckskin or buckskin. But don't listen to me, I am still learning about colors

Sorry but he can't be buckskin-buckskin's HAVE to have those black legs-unless you start getting into those mixes! If not champagne I'd say Dun and then the pink would probably be from the appy. Does he have striped hooves? Why I had said champagne earlier is because I have read that champagnes are often like that buckskin color only they don't have the BLACK legs which makes it easier to determine a buckskin from a champagne. Champagne's do however have slightly darker points which your boy does.

Last edited by a moderator:
No striped hooves. They are nice and solid black feet. His lower legs look like they are shedding out dark and he has a scuff on his knee that the hair is growing back in black. I was thinking champagne as well but do they have the dark mane and tail? I'll go and see if I can find a website that shows them better. I'm planning on giving him a good bath tomorrow, oh, and yes, in the sun his coat is very shimmery. Maybe after he's clean and the sun is out I can get better pics of his coat.

I would have said Smutty buckskin as well....
wacko.gif

EDIT: He does look like he has darker legs, not black but darker - and in order to be dun he would need a dorsel does he have one?

Last edited:
Yep! The pictures I've seen they have had BLACK manes and tails and that's why people get them so mixed up with buckskins/duns. I really think you have a champagne-especially if it's shimmery in the sun. How old is he? Usually our foals are born with lighter legs and then shed to have black legs so that could explain the grayish legs. By the looks of the pictures is seems as though his legs will most likely not be black black but maybe a couple shades lighter with maybe even a brownish tint to them. Please do research the champagne thing and let me know what happens!! You could e-mail pictures to the registery and then add a discription and they'll tell you if he's champagne or not.

Ok, I found a great website. http://www.champagnehorses.net/amber_champagne.htm

The little foal on these pages that is dark with blue eyes looks just like Cappy when he was born. Then, if you click on the eyes section it shows the progression of the eye color which my little guy is doing as well. No more pretty blue eyes! So, I guess we are all right, he's champagne!
aktion033.gif

Now, does AMHR recognize champagne as a color???
unsure.gif

Definately champagne! The way you described him - right down to the eyes changing to amber is classic champagne , I would bet his sire is probably a champagne too - do you have any pics of the sire. Very misunderstood color often mistaken for buckskin or palomino. I have seen that website and it has great info!

By the way, Buckskins don't necessarily have all black legs - a have one who only has black pasterns and the rest of his legs are gold because he is has the creme gene tested Cr cr) on what is called wild bay

By the way, Buckskins don't necessarily have all black legs - a have one who only has black pasterns and the rest of his legs are gold because he is has the creme gene tested Cr cr) on what is called wild bay
He did have the BLACK though right? I've actually never seen a dilute on wild bay...do you have any pictures??

Does he have any frecles(SP) on his nose eyelids, or private parts?

I am not sure if he is a champagne or not, we need to get champagne breeders in here to say forsure!

-Gage-

I would need to see closeup pics of his muzzle and eye and under his tail to make an educated guess as to if he is champagne, and also to know that one of his parents is a champagne.

Horses that carry the cream gene can also often have a pinkish tint to their skin and also I have recently learned that blue eyes can change from blue to amber just from having the cream gene also on occasion.

But I'd love to see pics of his sire and also real closeups I mentioned. :)

Susan O.

Yes, he has freckles on his muzzle and around his eyes. Due to a forest of hair in his southern parts, I can't tell if there are spot there as well!! I am going to give him a bath today and we will be able to see skin down there then! I had pics of both parents but they went to hard drive heaven when my computer crashed! I'll have the owner take some and email them to me. The stallion is a pinto but is the same exact color as this colt including the mane and he does have mottling as well. He is out of an appy mare and by a pinto stud. The mare has the mottling as well but doesn't have the pinkish skin like the sire does.

I'll get better pics today when the sun comes out and I have help holding him still.

Thanks for all the input!
aktion033.gif

OK- Possibly Buckskin- they most certainly do NOT have to have black points!!!! In fact they often do not. Darker points, yes, and, if there were not something else going on here I would have expected his legs to have been darker - is he clipped???

Also possibly Champagne- send details to the Champagne Horse Society and they will help you out - details on Equine Color site

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

He could also be a Smoky Black.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I was going to say that too, but didnt want to open my mouth and be wrong!

-Gage-

rabbitsfizz said:
OK- Possibly Buckskin- they most certainly do NOT have to have black points!!!!  In fact they often do not.  Darker points, yes, and, if there were not something else going on here I would have expected his legs to have been darker - is he clipped???Also possibly Champagne- send details to the Champagne Horse Society and they will help you out - details on Equine Color site

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

He could also be a Smoky Black.

448344[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I have read that buckskins HAVE to have black points. And from my experience with mine they have always had BLACK points so that is what I put. Very sorry if it was wrong. Actually I think I read in the MHW. If you look in the new one theres an article about champagnes and I think it said it in there. I could be wrong about that too I guess. Oh yes...if he has freckled skin I'd definitely say he's champagne as that is another characteristic. But then again i MOST CERTAINLY could be wrong about that as well.

Latest posts

Back