What color is this mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
I am wondering what color you would call this mare. When I bought her I was told she was a chocolate palomino but I have been told she is a silver dapple by some which she doesnt have any dapples so I dont know and then I have been told she was a silver bay also -- and I havent seen another horse with this coloring so I dont know what to call her..

Thanks..

edited because the picture wouldnt show up -- still cant get it to work BUT if you would like to give me your opinion she is on my website -- here is the link: http://www.dgrminis.com/miniaturemares.htm her name is Sophie.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really hard to tell from that one photo, because it is in the shade, sort of shadowed. She definately looks silver, whether it is silver dapple(known as silver black) or silver bay I cannot tell for sure. Definately no palomino there.

I agree with Mona, the picture makes it hard to see, and we can't even clearly see her lower legs, but she looks like a silver to me. Some call them silver dapples regardless of whether or not they have dapples, others call them silver black.

I would go with silver bay but you can always have her tested to see if she's either silver black or silver bay. She does look a lot like the color of Dakotas Lil Guten if you've ever seen pictures of him...he is a very odd chocolatey color and has the dilute gene, silver gene, and I don't even know what else! go to the Woodstock North website to see the pictures. Nancy has a couple of horses that color. I would test your girl to be certain.

She looks silver dapple to me. Silver dapple can be many different shades. From a gray (usually loaded with dapples) to a chocolate brown color (usually dapples don't show up) with a flaxen mane and tail.

Here are some of my examples of both.

Dolly2-04.jpg

Yearling filly out of two silver bays.

img_2163.jpg

This mare has had a silver buckskin and silver bay foal.

Ten2-0002.jpg

Yearling filly.

I have also had a couple that where the same color as your mare but I don't have pictures of them.

Sorry the one picture is so big and the second one did not show up (she is more of a dark gray liver chestnut color.

Well, I'm obviously alone here, but I would have called her a chocolate palomino. I think she may carry the silver gene, but I feel pretty strongly from my own experience that she also carries one copy of creme too. I'd have her tested just to solve the mystery!

Genetically there is no such thing as a Chocolate Palomino (unless you are considering Smutty or Sooty Palomino, which she obviously is not). I see no sign of Bay. IMO she is clearly a Silver Black (just doesn't have dapples).

default_biggrin.png

IMO, silver dapple(just w/o dapples) I had a colt very similar.

If she is without dapples and silver, she'd just be called a silver or silver black, no? Had this discussion many a time. I do actually prefer the term dappled silver, or silver black. "Dappled" is an adjective describing a trait in the colour, silver, the noun. Sorry...just a nit-picky, pet-peeve of mine

She looks silver black to me. do you know what color her parents are? It can help solve the mystery, unless their colors were misidentified on the papers.

Thanks for all the responses... Sorry I didnt realize the picture I had on the site was shaded. I am glad you could all help anyways....

On her parents I do not know what color they were -- when I bought her I got her in a package - I wanted a stallion and a couple mares the lady had and she was selling out so she would only sell them all together... But she doesnt have papers, I have been debating with hardshipping her into AMHA as she is 8 years old and is only 31.25" but I dont show so I am not sure on that aspect yet...

As far as testing her -- what exactly would I need to test for to see if she is a silver black? Would I test for the silver gene and what else?

Thank you!

As far as testing her -- what exactly would I need to test for to see if she is a silver black? Would I test for the silver gene and what else?

Thank you!
She looks silver black to me at first glance. Then I stared at it more and couldn't decide if she was silver black or silver bay. I believe the term "chocolate palomino" is an outdated term that once described silver blacks....either that or sooty palominos. Who knows. Ayways.....there is no need to test her for silver, it is obvious she carries it. To know what she is just test her for Agouti. Agouti is the gene that causes bay, so if she carries it, she's silver bay, if she's negative then she's silver black.

I'm gonna go with silver dapple, but add the possibility of being a creme carrier as well. She looks like one of the more common shades my gelding, who is a smokey silver dapple, tends to be. My boy I know is a creme carrier as his sire is a perlino. The smokey silver dapples tend to be weirder shades, and not the "normal" silver dapple/black shades. SO that's what I think she could be. The only real way to know is to get her tested.

Thank you!
If she were mine, I would not bother to test her as I am confident of what she is. That is just my personal opinion. If you do want to test her to be sure, here are the tests you would need to run based on the opinions of color you have been given:

Red Factor - will tell you if she is Red based or Black based.

Silver - obvious.

Agouti - will tell you if she is Bay.

Cream -

MUST have Red (homozygous) plus Cream to be a Palomino.

MUST have Black (homozygous or heterozygous) plus Silver to be Silver Black or Silver Dapple.

MUST have Black plus Silver plus Agouti to be Silver Bay.

Ayways.....there is no need to test her for silver, it is obvious she carries it. To know what she is just test her for Agouti. Agouti is the gene that causes bay, so if she carries it, she's silver bay, if she's negative then she's silver black.

Thank you -- I will test her for Agouti then
default_smile.png

If she were mine, I would not bother to test her as I am confident of what she is. That is just my personal opinion. If you do want to test her to be sure, here are the tests you would need to run based on the opinions of color you have been given:

Red Factor - will tell you if she is Red based or Black based.

Silver - obvious.

Agouti - will tell you if she is Bay.

Cream -

MUST have Red (homozygous) plus Cream to be a Palomino.

MUST have Black (homozygous or heterozygous) plus Silver to be Silver Black or Silver Dapple.

MUST have Black plus Silver plus Agouti to be Silver Bay.

Thank you -- that helps me alot
default_smile.png
I appreciate it
default_smile.png
I guess I will call her a silver black until I decide if I am hardshipping her
default_smile.png
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back