What color is this mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverRose Farms

Reaction score
This is a new mini to us who needed help.

Friends of ours were looking for a mini for their daughter and asked for our help. During our searches for them we found this little mare. (She needed too much love for them to be able to give her) So even though we didnt need another mini we took her and am gonna get her fixed all up with food and teeth and see if we cant track down her heritage.

I am assuming shes a tovero as shes got lots of face white and 1 and a half blue eyes.

We dont know anything about her other than the lady we got her from thinks shes around 11 and about 35" tall. However we dont think shes actually that tall. Shes dwarfed by our friends 35" mare who is he pasture buddy. I think shes about 33-34 if that big. Though we will try and get an actual stick on her when we can.

Im thinking shes either a Smokey Black or......

The colored parts of her mane are the same color as her body.

I dont have any other pictures at the moment. Im going to try and get some tonight.

apache005.jpg

What a pretty girl - good luck with her and well done you for taking pity on her!
default_thumbup.gif

Thank you.

Shes super sweet but scared and obviously skinny.

She certainly looks like there are papers out there somewhere for this beautiful little girl. Our plan is to register her Pinto and show her eventually.

I would say you are right on color, Smokey Black Tovero but the cream gene isn't 100% confirmed on her until you have her tested.

Congrats
default_smile.png

I would say you are right on color, Smokey Black Tovero but the cream gene isn't 100% confirmed on her until you have her tested.

Congrats
default_smile.png
Yeah until I color test I wouldnt be positive about her color. Just wanted others thoughts on her color. As I havent actually seen an unclipped smokey black horse in person. And very few even clipped. But thats about the only color I could come up with.

She is not Silver - there would not be that contrast in the mane colour if she were. Looks to me as if she is Splash White + Tobiano, but if there is a chance she is bred, or you intend breeding, obviously test for LWO. "Tovero" is a really obsolete term, these days, it mans nothing and is just confusing, so thankfully is dying a slow death!

Nice mare, thank you for taking her in.

I use the term Tovero simply because she is not tested and there for I do not know whether shes Carrying Splash or Frame or.....

Shes doing better and gaining some weight.

I would really like to know if anyone recognizes her or thinks they do. She knows how to lunge and set up. Because she is under weight we have not tried the harness on her yet. To see if she knows what one is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back