What color is this foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrack

Reaction score
We first thought this filly was cremello. She has 2 blue eyes as a cremello. However, after a few days her mane & tail looks mousey colored. It doesn't seem reddish like a perlino. She also has a shadow of a dorsal that I've never seen on a cremello. So, what color is she??

11 filly.jpg

11 filly1.jpg

What color are her parents? Either have dun?

I'm going to guess perlino, perhaps perlino with dun, although the dorsal could still be countershading. I don't know that a perlino would have to have reddish points, just "darker" points.

She is colored just like my perlino dun fillies
default_wub.png

Dam is Smokey Black and sire is Silver Buckskin.
Any chance the silver buckskin has dun too? I know when you combine multiple dilutes it'll affect how much they show. [i have a silver bay dun, who's dorsal is hard to see (at least compared to a regular bay dun).]

The smokey black dam could be hiding a dun factor.

I thought perlinos had more of a reddish cast to their manes and tails...is that not correct?

She could be Smoky Cream, that would be my guess. I bet that dorsal will go away with her foal coat, especially if neither parent is dun. She's adorable!!

She looks perlino to me-i don't see dun, just normal light countershading.

I agree with Perlino or Perlino Dun.. She has very light skin, and I can see red shaded points on the baby..
default_smile.png

Very beautiful little girl! Congrats..
default_smile.png

Could be either Perlino or Smokey Cream, as foal coats can change so much. But, my guess would have to be Smokey Cream. :)

Okay...might have to change my mind after researching color genetics. :) Could use some help from some of you genetic experts!

From what I can find on color descriptions; cremello is black based and perlino is red based (palomino with cream gene). So, for this baby to be perlino, it would need to have 2 red genes?

It seems highly unlikely that this foal would have gotten a red gene from both the sire and dam. Both are black, but not homozygous so it is possible, just not probable.

Also, the coloring in tail and mane appears black based (mousey) not reddish. So that would indicate black base, which then indicates she can't be perlino. Or am I reading too much! lol

Okay...might have to change my mind after researching color genetics. :) Could use some help from some of you genetic experts!

From what I can find on color descriptions; cremello is black based and perlino is red based (palomino with cream gene). So, for this baby to be perlino, it would need to have 2 red genes?
Both perlino and smokey cream are black-based. Cremello is red-based.

Perlino is bay plus two cream (bay is black plus agouti -- buckskin is bay plus 1 cream)

smokey cream is black plus two cream (smokey black is black plus 1 cream)

cremello is red plus two cream (palomino is red plus 1 cream)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fastrack-it's opposite. Cremello is chestnut with two cream and perlino is bay with two cream and smokey cream is black with two cream.

I believe this foal is a smokey cream. They have darker bodies than perlinos, which are pretty white but have dark points and mane/tail.

Andrea

Im going to say she is perlino, we have a filly that is very similar in color to her, just a little darker points.

here is our Perlino Filly at a couple weeks old forgive the bad clip job she was just home from the hospital and they clipped her

She had a tan color to her mane and tail not reddish. But she had no dorsal or countershading before clipping

spice118.jpg

Latest posts

Back