What color is this Filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

Our filly born April 19. Folks told us she was bay. We are thinking she might be silver bay.We know they have to have once least one parent who is silver, but could one of the parents be hiding the silver gene.

Her dam is sorrel

her sire is buckskin
buckshotDSC_2706.jpg

foal at month

DSC06711-1.jpg

photos from today may 24. these photos are not the best but she comes to you to be petted so we can hardly get photos now of her.

DSC08043.jpg
here mane is very light. We have a bay colt who mane is black hers is baby power brown.

DSC08064.jpg
Her tail is lighter then when she was born her legs are very light as well. so what you all think could she be silver bay or something else?

DSC08058-1.jpg

DSC08056-1.jpg

here is her half sister same sire.born may 17.

DSC08027-1.jpg
we were told she is black pinto

her dam is homozgyous for tobiano(sorrel pinto)

same sire as above buckskin

we hate we sold this stud.
default_no.gif
He now lives in NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my! BOTH are adorable!!!! (Your little black and white tobiano is a show stopper!) Your other cutie looks like a silver bay. Our stallion, Raider, was also silver bay and was a deep red like your girl with the smoky mane. I always loved that color.

Oh, and your black and white, COULD be a smoky black and white, because of the dilute gene coming from her sire! That should be fun.

Your little filly does appear to be Silver Bay.
default_yes.gif
As Silver "can" hide on red, she most likely got the silver from her chestnut dam. I see no signs of silver on her Buckskin sire.

BTW....all your babies are just beautiful!!!
default_wub.png

The first filly's dam may actually be a silve bay as well and not sorrel.. The silver bay mare we had looked just like a sorrel with flaxen mane and tail, only give away was that she produced a silver buckskin foal and in trying to find where the silver came from we noticed that her lower legs were darker than her body..

the filly dam dam is a red roan and the filly dam sire was sorrel

The filly sire sire is solid white(little kings buckwheat) and filly sire dam is grey

I can't wait to shave her.I really think she might be silver bay. We had a bay colt born the same day.

he looks alot different in color then her.

here is the bay colt born the same day as the filly above.

This colt's sire is palomino and dam is black

DSC06814.jpg
His mane and tail are darker now almost black, but his legs are still light.This photo was last week. So do some bay have no black on their legs?

Do you have a picture or two of the filly's dam?

So do some bay have no black on their legs?
Some bays do not get the dark legs until after they shed their baby fuzz

here is the filly dam in foal with the filly recently/This dam is register as sorrel.

DSC05852.jpg

here is savannah with her filly

DSC06366-1.jpg
few days old.

we don't have photos of this mare dam or sire.

DSC06356-2.jpg
her and her dam

this mare has had PINTO CHESTNUT, PINTO SORREL, SOLID BAY, TWO SOLID PALOMINO, DAPPLE GREY, SOLID SORREL, SOLID BLACK.( I DON'T KNOW IF ALL THESE ARE RIGHT)

Looks like the filly got the silver gene from her dam
default_biggrin.png

Well, you can always test the filly for silver, if she doesn't have it, then she's bay.

Here's a couple pictures of my bay stallion (silver test wasn't available when I color tested him, but his mane and tail are black with frosting and his legs are dark brown; he tested Ee, AA, no cream). [He was registered as a red dun. Both his sire and dam are buckskin. A couple people have told me he's "wild bay".]

With his dam (photo taken by a friend who visited the breeder):

duncolt04%20-%20also%20Levis%20dam.jpeg

Sale photo taken by breeder:

duncolt04b.jpg

Last summer (3 year old):

Dakota%20-%20June%205,%202007%20-%20pretty%20boy%20-%20webpic.jpg

I agree that the first filly is silver bay
default_yes.gif

Chanda, the transformation of your stallion's color amazes me
default_yes.gif

First one looks normal bay to me, if het mane and tail lighten up more she could be silver but for now I´d say just bay.

Second is indeed black.

Definitely think the filly got the silver from her momma
default_yes.gif
But momma's color has me stumped, she's way to dark, to me, to be red based.. To me, she looks like she could be silver black or brown silver with self-colored mane/tail instead of flaxen/white mane/tail

Here's some proven brown silvers/silver blacks that look similar in color to her:

Beautiful babies, both of them!

But, IMO, there is NO WAY that dam is a sorrell. No way. But...I bet I know how she got registered as a sorrel. I think she's a liver chestnut which she could have very easily been bright red as a younger horse. I don't have a pic of a confirmed liver chestnut, but Jamie on here from JMS Miniatures has a gorgeous liver chestnut that started life very red. His name is even Red because he was so bright red as a youngster. Maybe Jamie will post a pic.

And I think the baby is a silver bay and got that silver gene from her liver chestnut dam.
default_yes.gif

Regardless of color, you have two fantastic babies to be very proud of!
default_wub.png

No colour expert here but...the dam looks like a liver chestnut. The foal, I'll bet, is bay. But, like others have said, you won't know until you test. Beautiful little one!!!!

Okay,

here she is shaved from today may 25, 2008. She was very bad when I shaved her.

She try to kick us both
default_wacko.png
I shaved the bay pinto Twinky first she was great, so i decide to shave another.

So what color is she now.?

DSC08112-1.jpg

look at her googles eyes neat and her nose very light.

her legs look very silver to me now.

DSC08102-1.jpg
she her tail

DSC08100-2.jpg

DSC08122-1.jpg

Well......now after seeing those clipped photos of her...I see very little to suggest she would be a Silver Bay.

Her mane looks VERY dark in those shots ...even down at the roots. If she were Silver Bay, the mane would be getting lighter where it's growing in.

I'm not so sure she is a Silver Bay anymore....looks more like a straight Bay. But, colors can be really deceiving on these computers.

Latest posts

Back