What color is this colt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelia

Reaction score
I have permission to post his pictures. I am somewhat baffled by his color. Both parents were silver dapple appies. His dam was a varnish roan and sort of a muddy brown color with flaxen mane and tail. The sire i have not seen in person, but he has a small blanket and he is close to the same color. His color may look a little more silvery. He has an almost white mane and tail. It appears these was some dilute back in the pedigre. There was creme and dun, but we know how the older records are sometimes not accurate.

He has bright blue eyes and pink skin.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/s.../img_048112.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/s.../img_047822.jpg

He surely looks PALOMINO (appaloosa) to me! Maybe the "muddy brown" was a smokey black? One parent has to carry cream to produce a palomino. Beautiful colt!

I was wondering if he could be champagne. His mane and tail are the same color as his body and he shows no appy characteristics.
default_unsure.png

I was wondering if he could be champagne. His mane and tail are the same color as his body and he shows no appy characteristics.
default_unsure.png
I had the same thought at Shelia, but one of the parents has to also be champagne. He LOOKS palomino, but his mane and tail color has me stumped.......plus you said his skin is pink.......which would indicate perlino??? There is OBVIOUSLY a dilute gene involved here!
default_wacko.png

Very often a palomino is born with the same color mane as body color, and as they age and the hair grows out, it turns white.
default_yes.gif

I had a palomino that had the pinkish skin when she was born, and it darkened up over a weeks time. Also like Mona said, the mane and tail goes white with age too.

Thank you all very much! She saw a lot of color possibilities with this cross,, but this certainly wasn't one of them! She is going to have him tested. I thought his color looked unusual and not like palaminos I have seen. I guess silver dapple and appy can hide cream. If he turns out to be anything different than palamino I will post it here.

Congrats on a gorgeous colt. I too had a colt palomino born a month ago, and mine got caught out in the rain a week or so ago, and much to my surprise, when he was wet, he was RED. So I guess, we have to patient to see what colour our boys really are under their baby coats. Congrats again.

Latest posts

Back