What color is this colt - continued...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just re-read the posts and saw where Sunquest said it was hard to tell his color since he is clipped, but that's just it.... Look at his neck in the second picture and you can see the longer hair... he is not clipped. He is in his natural summer coat and nothing on him has been clipped. The dark color in the base of the mane is dirt... not black hairs.

I could understand him being a funny color if he was clipped as that changes the look, especially of silvers but he is not clipped at all.

Ginny L

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I dont see any dun factors ( ok I know the blanket could hide a dorsal) and silver often has what appears to be a dorsal as well but I dont see in those pics any leg barring ect so I am going to rule out dun and say from the pics and the lighting.. silver bay I see definite points on his legs

Gotta vote silver/bay. Look at the chocolate lower legs.

Robin

Yes, I'm still going for light Silver Bay as most probable- altho' I still do not rule out the possibility of Dun lurking somewhere- I can't see it either but this light it's unlikely you would get leg barring that you could actually see (I have NO idea why you US people are so hung up on leg barring but I'll play along
biggrin.gif
) Also there is just the outside chance of Smoky Black- having seen some of the proven results on here lately I am not even going to rule out Sky Blue Pink
laugh.gif
smile.gif

We have owned alot of silver bays and although they might look sort of "similar" to this when they are body clipped, I have never seen one this diluted color in their natural coat. Silver bays that I have seen have a nickel color to them when first clipped and Bad Bad has a tan/yellow color to him in his natural coat. My vote is still something with the cream gene.... palomino or buckskin... :) But we will know for sure when the results come back. I'm definitely in the minority here as most of you think he's silver bay. If he's a silver bay and doesn't have the cream gene I will be so amazed.... LOL. Not that I prefer the cream gene. I was happy when I thought he was a sorrel and then happy to think he was palomino and happy to think he was buckskin or silver bay. It doesn't matter to me what color he is but I would like to have his color correct with the registries and for the studbooks etc and that will also help me understand what the possibilities of colors of his foals can be. If he has the cream gene I probably won't cross him on the couple of mares that I own that have the cream gene since we are breeding for apps and would like the pattern to show... that type of thing is why I want to know.

Thanks again for all the input and Getitia thanks for the comment on our MHW ad.... :)

Ginny Long

Actually Ginny, now that I see his photo on a different monitor - I do believe he is silver buckskin............instead of silver bay - perhaps, creme, black, agouti, and silver and of course all of those pretty spots!

What a pretty boy
wub.gif
! Love his coloring, and the mane adds some cuteness
biggrin.gif
! Can't wait to find out exactly what color he is!

rabbitsfizz said:
Yes, I'm still going for light Silver Bay as most probable- altho' I still do not rule out the possibility of Dun lurking somewhere- I can't see it either but this light it's unlikely you would get leg barring that you could actually see (I have NO idea why you US people are so hung up on leg barring but I'll play along
biggrin.gif
) Also there is just the outside chance of Smoky Black- having seen some of the proven results on here lately I am not even going to rule out Sky Blue Pink
laugh.gif

smile.gif

449393[/snapback]

Yep Rabbits Fizz U made a good point about smokey black!!! I own a lab tested proven smokey black and we think dun pinto filly and at birth she is kind of a light carmel color that is rather similar to baby pix of BadBad. She lightened up fast but now is getting her 2nd baby coat in and its coming in a slightly darker tan/carmel. There is no way in the world I would have guessed this filly to be black based so sometimes u just cant tell by what color they look. This is a pix of her brand new. I dont think anyone would look at that foal and think there is a black horse!!!

charadechampfillyrtsideshowcolorwalk4hr.jpg

Hi Jennifer.... that filly does sort of look his color although he has more yellow in his tan than she does. I wonder what color she will shed out next year. Bad Bad as a yearling shed out a bright red color on his body but because I thought he was sorrel and that's what I expected him to do I didn't take any pictures of him with that red coat. now after being exposed to the sun all summer has gradually lightened up to a tan/yellowish color. Crazy huh? Bad Bad's mom has had 4 other foals with two being black appaloosas and two being bay appaloosas without any other dilute colors going on. Oh well, we will know the base color and cream gene status soon... :)

Ginny

Ginny- that pix was the filly brand new and within days she lightened and yellowed out! By the time her 1st foal coat started shedding out she had lightened up so much u could hardly tell she was a pinto. Now the 2nd coat is coming in darker but still a carmel sort of color and rather similar to some of the baby pix of Bad Bad. I have always wondered just what color he is!

Ginny--I look forward to her test results! She is just lovely and it will be interesting to see how the phenotype differs from the genotype! Keep us clued in, ok? Thanks! jennifer
saludando.gif

Rbbitt I will bite on our "hang up" with the leg barring.......in order for a horse to be a dun it must have a dorsal stripe, leg barring, cobwebbing on the face, and on a good one you will also have bars on the shoulders.......these are components of the dun gene that seperate it from the cream gene............for years these two genes were believed to be the same this is why there is so much confusion between dun and buckskin.....so for myself after studying the color of horses I am hung up on proper identification of duns........................

I see tons of "rare golden dun with reverse coloring" silver bay
rolleyes.gif

Or "claybank/yellow dun" chestnut with pangare...or silver bay
wacko.gif

the best are those super rare "chocolate dun with flaxen" yep plain old silver dapple
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Runamuk... there is a breeder near us that has been breeding miniatures for over 50 years and when they don't know what color to call a horse they register it as - you guessed it - DUN!....
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Ginny Long

Latest posts

Back