What Color Is She?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
I am posting these pictures with permission from a friend, they don't have forum access.

What color is this filly? Before shedding out she was that solid golden color you can see in the picture that still needs to be shed out. I will post my opinion on color along with photos of her sire and dam once I scan them.......

Jazzy1.jpg

Jazzy2.jpg

Thanks.

I'm kind of torn here...

She is EITHER what I call a seal brown which would be genetically a black horse plus the pangare factor which lightens the muzzle, flanks, and underbelly to a gold. Most mules and donkeys have pangare, so do belgians and fjords....to give you an idea...its the "mealy muzzle" appearance.

OR ELSE

She is just a very very dark buckskin with alot of countershading.

There also may be some sunbleach going on there which is environmental, not genetic.

Was there ever at any point any true red in her coat?

My opinion on Jazzy's color is that she is buckskin, the only problem is that neither parent is dilute or at least appears to be dilute. No other stallions on property and this mare never left the farm. My guess is that Curry, Jazzy's dam is hiding the creme gene since her dam is registered as "dapple cremello".

Jazzy and her dam, Curry. --

JazzyNCurry1.jpg

Jazzy's sire, Brandy. --

EvansSgt.jpg

Lauralee said:
I'm kind of torn here...
She is EITHER what I call a seal brown which would be genetically a black horse plus the pangare factor which lightens the muzzle, flanks, and underbelly to a gold.  Most mules and donkeys have pangare, so do belgians and fjords....to give you an idea...its the "mealy muzzle" appearance.

OR ELSE

She is just a very very dark buckskin with alot of countershading.

There also may be some sunbleach going on there which is environmental, not genetic.

Was there ever at any point any true red in her coat?

427667[/snapback]

I agree with Lauralee 100%! That is the first thing I thought!! We think alike Lauralee LOL:)

But if none of her parents have the cream gene she cant have it! is one of her parents a black or a silver if they are it could be a smokey silver or a smokey black!

-Gage-

She sure looks buckskin to me too. Dad is for sure a silver, mom also looks like a silver bay pinto though.... Guess I have to say I have no idea then!

Lyn

The mare looks like a Silver Dapple to me. Since creme can hide in Silver Dapples, which are black based....making a Smokey Silver Dapple, I DO think that filly is either a smutty Buckskin or a Smokey Black.
yes.gif

She looks like a Golden Brown to me.

Golden Brown translates to Seal Brown + Cream or basically the same as a Buckskin except it's Cream on a Seal Brown base.

Is there a Dorsal?? I ask because this is the colour of hundreds of Exmoors, they are basically Bay, Dun + Pangaré

I don't think she has a dorsal ..... In the foal picture you can see the load of countershading, but that's about it.

Have you ever seen a "seal brown" that golden at one point in their life?!

Latest posts

Back