WHAT COLOR IS MY STUD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
ALRIGHTY SOMEONE HELP ME HERE. I WASHED AND CLIPPED MY FOUR YR OLD STUD THINKING WE MIGHT SELL HIM. HE IS REGISTERED AS A SORREL BUT EACH YEAR THAT HE HAS BEEN CLIPPED A DIFFERENT COLOR SHOWS THRU :DOH! SO I AM THINKING A SILVER BAY OR POSSIBLY A BLUE ROAN. HIS COLOR IS ALMOST A GUNMETAL COLOR SINCE WE CLIPPED HIM THIS MORNING. SIRE WAS A BLUE ROAN AND DAM WAS A PALOMINO. THESE ARE PICS I TOOK OF HIM PLEASE EXCUSE AS THEY ARE NOT PRO AND CLIP JOB ONLY WENT TO THE BELLY AS THE BUGS ARE BITING AND I WANTED TO PROTECT HIS LEGS AND UNDERSIDE...WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?
022.JPG
025.JPG

I don't know what his color would be correctly called. It looks very unusual (and beautiful) to me, though. It reminds me some of "Destiny" (Ericas Echos of My Destiny), who is a smoky silver black.

If he were mine, I might have him color tested for cream and silver to know for sure. Others may see some other possibilities as to his color, too. It will be fun to follow and see what colors people think they may see.

Those "gold" tones to his coat make me think cream dilute, and I know cream dilute inhibits the expression of silver to the mane and tail -- that's why I wonder about smoky silver black.

I do not think silver is possible. You would have silver in the mane and tail.

I would say black bay or smoky black (carries cream).

Testing would certainly tell you.

I say smutty buckskin. Wouldn't it be possible for a blue roan and a palomino to make one? He is cute either way! LOL...Go pick a crayon out of the box! That's his color!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks very similar in color to a black sabino mare of mine, Redrock Corkers Sandi Lassie. The sabino 'roaning' lightens her coat to a gunmetal color in the summer. She is heterozygous black and does not carry cream or silver.

2-07Sandy3.jpg

Ok my two cents for what it's worth.
default_wink.png

Not a sorrel nor chestnut.

Not a roan of any color.

Not a silver bay either.

I'm going to guess smutty buckskin.

Have him tested than you'll know for sure. It really isn't that expensive or hard to do.
default_yes.gif

Ok my two cents for what it's worth.
default_wink.png

Not a sorrel nor chestnut.

Not a roan of any color.

Not a silver bay either.

I'm going to guess smutty buckskin.

Have him tested than you'll know for sure. It really isn't that expensive or hard to do.
I agree with this. Possibly Smutty Buckskin, but to me just looks faded Black.

:DOH! I think I will just have him tested. He is a deep blackish gray on the legs...such a little snot. Hubby says to keep him and get him tested. He did throw what looked to be a smokey black colt and a sorrel filly this year but I lost both. I will let everyone know what it is on the color. Thx for the imput...I am sooo
default_wacko.png
cornfused!

He looks very similar in color to a black sabino mare of mine, Redrock Corkers Sandi Lassie. The sabino 'roaning' lightens her coat to a gunmetal color in the summer. She is heterozygous black and does not carry cream or silver.

2-07Sandy3.jpg
Becky...I have to say that your mare looks alot like him...so we shall see! She is VERY nice.

Smokey black would be might guess. Many people register their horses chestnut when they look liver chestnut, but they are really smokey blacks. I have quite a few smokey blacks and they look like liver chestnuts.

No silver in his coat, no white mane and tail.

YOu have now put his picture on much larger and I am now goaing to say, based upone the v by his tail, he is a bay.

Clipped coats do nothing to help decide a colour...from the bit of real coat left on him I might hazard Bay...NOT Silver , no sign.

From the head I might guess Sooty Buckskin, but it could easily be Pangaré doing that, and he could just be Bay + Pangaré...pretty boy, though!!

To me he looks like a liver chestnut. I've seen allot of quarter horses that color and that's what he looks like to me.

Seal Brown?? I am seeing way more brown than any other color in the pics I am getting.

Clipped coats do nothing to help decide a colour...from the bit of real coat left on him I might hazard Bay...NOT Silver , no sign.From the head I might guess Sooty Buckskin, but it could easily be Pangaré doing that, and he could just be Bay + Pangaré...pretty boy, though!!
I'm thinking DITTO...
default_yes.gif

I am gonna have him tested and will post the results on him cause his papers say sorrel? I will let folks know later
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back