What color is my Opie????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Can not decide on this little guys color!!!!! He almost looks palomino, but with a little redish tent, maybe a light red dun? He does have a dorsal. He has been partial clipped and is the first mini I have ever clipped that the color underneath was the same as what I just clipped off! There is usually some difference, in a few cases, big differences, but his is THE same.

I can't tell you how much we love or PeeWee, at 6 weeks he has grown to 18" now! He has the biggest doe eyes, his very wide blaze goes across the top of both eyes and has eye liner, top and bottom of both eyes. He is for sure a lady killer!!!

Pictures can be different. Pictures 3 and 4 are the closest to his actual color by these pics.

Thanks for suggestions!

opie2.jpg

opie11.jpg

jewelcolt3.jpg

jewelcolt4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, his mom is pictured and his dad, well never could figure out his color. But he was a bald face, splash sabino that clipped out like a blue roan. Pretty sure he has some silver in his background. The dams background is her color and black.

But opies mane and tail are getting redder.

He looks as light as Theia did as a baby... she ended up a nice Chestnut color.

Was he born with pink or red skin around his eyes,, or was that area black right after birth?

He is a Red Dun Splash. (Probably!! could be Frame
biggrin.gif
) Mama us a Red Dun - they both have Flaxen by the look of it and Mama may well have Sooty as well. I have a mare exactly the same colour, I should have some pictures of her soon as I had a photo shoot done a little while ago and am awaiting them. Have you pics of Dad I'd love to see the colour??
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Carolyn I think he is a red dun. Spikes dad you know is black and white but his mom was like a frosty black with lots of white hairs thru her coat. I described Spike to someone as a gunmetal grey once. He isnt grey, he isnt silver and he isnt blue but as a baby he had a dorsal stripe too.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn, every person that saw that horse said the same. Only it was, he looks kind of black but not really, he looks kinda of like a blue roan but he stays to dark on the body, and my favorite,,,,,he likes like someone squashed an oreo cookie with the creme still in it and threw it on him!!!!!!

Opie has the same belly splash his dad does, about softball size and is shaped like the geometric shape on the intro to Nickalodion (sp) shows.

BlueDunsDogs034.jpg

This is a just AWFUL picture of my Red Dun mare who likes to pretend she is Silver Bay!!!! She is proven to be Red Dun (ie Dun factor foal by non-Dun Stallion) Apart from the fact that she is standing like a cow and is FILTHY- her favourite state) you can see the colour similarity.

Frankie said:
Oh, his mom is pictured and his dad, well never could figure out his color. But he was a bald face, splash sabino that clipped out like a blue roan. Pretty sure he has some silver in his background. The dams background is her color and black.But opies mane and tail are getting redder.

451374[/snapback]

Carolyn, Many Sabinos will clip out looking "roany"......that's the Sabino roan causing that...not Silver. Sabino can manifest in many different ways. Sometimes causing uniform body roaning, making their overall color look lighter. I have a filly right now that I was torn between whether she was a Silver Dapple pinto or Black Sabino pinto. (Dam is a CockRobin daughter so "could" carry Silver...and this is her first foal) This filly is a uniform gunmetal gray color. Her coloring is not changing as she ages either. So...since the small colored part of her mane is definitely black(not coming in lighter) ....I DO believe she is a Black Sabino pinto.

I think your mare looks like a Silver-Red Dun tho. Your little colt "could" be the same.
yes.gif

rabbitsfizz said:
BlueDunsDogs034.jpg

This is a just AWFUL picture of my Red Dun mare who likes to pretend she is Silver Bay!!!! She is proven to be Red Dun (ie Dun factor foal by non-Dun Stallion)  Apart from the fact that she is standing like a cow and is FILTHY- her favourite state) you can see the colour similarity.

451471[/snapback]

Rabbit.....does this mare exhibit any dun characteristics, such as dorsal or leg and shoulder barring?????

Latest posts

Back