What color is he?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
I have a stallion that was born in 2002. He is registered as a black pinto but I don't think he is really black..... He isn't bay either -- I am thinking he must be hiding a color of some sort but I don't know.. He appears black with a sunbleached look but he looks that way YEAR round... He has a mealy colored muzzle that he passes on to his foals and his flanks have more of a brown shade to them instead of a black.

I am pretty sure he is heterozygous for tobiano as he has sired solid foals as well as pinto so dont really feel the need to test for that....

In 2007 he sired two foals. One was a solid silver black filly out of a silver black mare and the second was a black pinto filly out of a black mare.

In 2008 he sired a grey colt out of a grey mare and a silver black pinto out of a silver black mare.

And so far in 2009 he has sired a black pinto filly out of a black pinto mare, a silver dapple pinto filly out of a silver dapple mare, a silver dapple pinto out of a sorrel mare (who I am pretty sure is hiding a silver gene), and a red bay pinto colt (possibly roan) out of a red bay roan pinto mare... (pictures of all the foals can be seen on my website if needed). And we are expecting one more foals from him this year...

Here is his pedigree...

Sire LOWERYS NFCS PEPPY POWER 32.00"

SireBOND PEPPY POWER 30.00"

SireBOND SHOWBOY 28.50"

DamBOND TIMBAL 31.00"

DamJUSINA VAN DOUBLE DUTCH 33.25"

Dam CEDAR HILL JUST BREE 34.00"

SireTUCKAWAY'S JUST DANDY 30.25"

Sire TUCKAWAY'S JIM DANDY 30.00"

DamTUCKAWAY BOND GALAXY 31.50"

Dam CEDAR HILL LACEY 36.00" Sire

Thanks for any help in deciding what to test him for...

(edited to add picture)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know colors come in different shades and I wondered since he has the lightened areas on his muzzle and flanks and so forth -- he just didnt look like any of my other bays or any that I had seen... Most of the bays I have seen (or the ones I own that I knew were bays) are a deep almost mahogony (sp?) color.

Would you say this mare is a bay too then? She is homozygous for tobiano and was also registered as a black pinto and so far all of the foals she has had have been black pinto (from previous owner when bred to a solid bay stallion). This year she is bred to the stallion I was questioning color on but she has a faded looked like he does and I have thought she might be bay as well but wasnt sure....

Bays can have mealy/Pangare coloring on their muzzles and underside. My rescue Icelandic has that too. It is a gene that causes them to have lighter hair in those areas.

Actually, I think your stallion may be a brown/seal brown as opposed to a regular bay.

It is hard to tell with such a small photo, do you have anything larger? I also have to pint out, it looks like he is in his fuzzies, do you have any photos of him shed out?

Just a thought, can't tell without a larger shot, he may be a very sooty buckskin (or as pointed out, the pangare gene kicking in), mine is just about black when she is in her fuzzies, she has gotten very dark over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to tell with such a small photo, do you have anything larger? I also have to pint out, it looks like he is in his fuzzies, do you have any photos of him shed out? Just a thought, can't tell without a larger shot, he may be a very sooty buckskin (or as pointed out, the pangare gene kicking in), mine is just about black when she is in her fuzzies, she has gotten very dark over the years.

He is shed out in that picture. That is a middle of summer picture. I cant get a bigger one to upload to the group but there is a bigger one on my website on the stallions page if someone wanted to see it...

Thanks for the help.

well, he is black based, I am guessing he carries the agouti which would make him a bay, and if he would also carry cream it woud then make him a buckskin, not sure if there is a test for the sooty gene. It would be more helpful if we knew what color his dam and sire are.

I would test for both cream and agouti, if he were positive for both I would assume he is a sooty buckskin.

If you look up uwarrie here on the forum, she has a very sooty buckskin on her sight (sire to my mare) looks very similar to the coloring on your guy.

He really does look Bay with Pangare to me, not soot Buckskin.

If it matters, test him for Cream....

I dont think it matters other than I would like to know what he is because I know if I compare him to my black pintos he doesnt LOOK like they do but since that is what was on his papers that is what I have called him so thought it would be nice to know what he actually is
default_smile.png

His sire is listed as Brown on the papers and his dam is listed as a grey pinto... I havent ever seen either of them though so only have what is on the papers to go off of...

Latest posts

Back