What color is Dreama?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleenie

Reaction score
This is one of the girls we recently took in as a rescue. Her mother is black with a few white spots on her rump, no idea what dad was. Her mom & aunt were rescued with her.

So before we got these girls there was another woman looking at them(said she was from a rescue group but it turned out to be a lie an she was only interested in one mare). This woman insisted this mare was a buckskin... To me she doesn't look buckskin at all, but I'm also no color expert... Last horse I had was red & white, lol.

I'd love to know what color she might be considered.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To me she looks to be a smutty buckskin. There are different tones and shades of buckskins. They are not all that creamy yellow with a perfect stripe. She is very cute! Her father was most likely a dilute. If her mother is black it doesn't really make sense though for her to be buckskin. She could be brown but I don't think she is, since she has points ( black on legs and ears). Is it possible her mother is dark brown? There are quite a few buckskin breeders on here that could tell you what she really is maybe they will see you post soon
default_smile.png

That is a little helpful. She looks black, with some sun bleaching. If possible can you take a face shot? Some times there are lighter shades of color on the face and it can help distinguish between a dark bay and black horse. She has some winter fuzzies coming in so her color is altered.

A black mare can most certainly have a buckskin foal. Buckskin is cream on black with agouti (or in other words bay) so if the mare contributed black and the father contributed cream and agouti the foal would be buckskin. I agree the mare in question is smutty buckskin BTW altho she may be roan as well.

Really wow I need to re look over color genetics. I thought is was only bay, sorrel, and chestnut. But that totally makes sense with the agouti. Hmm we'll disregard my response bleenie. Sorry if I led you in the wrong direction.

She is very cute. I'm sticking with smutty buckskin. Especially after what reignmaker stated about agouti. She looks like a nice rich black, her star really compliments her color
default_smile.png

She reminds me of my smutty buckskin yearling mare:

gingeratlastshow.jpg

You can see sun bleaching in her mane and tail but her forelock is actually blond.

This is a poor picture but it was taken right after her bath and you can really see how dark her

neck is compared to the rest. One of the reasons I didn't think she could be graying out.

image.jpg

Unless she has a grey parent she will not carry a grey gene and can't ever become grey. This picture makes me even more convinced she is a smutty buckskin. The abundance of lighter hairs in her body really has me thinking roan as well but pictures can be very deceiving. Testing would confirm it or rule it out.

If she has white hairs all over her body except her legs and head... Then she's a roan also.

Smutty buckskin for sure!!!

Back