What color do you think she is???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secret Hills Ranch

Reaction score
When my bf and I body clipped this mare she turned this color. Before we body clipped she had a very long black winter coat... Any ideas? I was thinking maybe somehow or another she got sunbleached underneath?????

fioma2.jpg

fioma4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well the second picture is not working but from the looks of the first one, she is buckskin pinto!!

-Gage-

eddited to say: now the second picture is up and she even more looks buckskin pinto!!

-Gage-

How exciting to unwrap a black horse and get a buckskin! She's lovely.

Is she really buckskin????? I thought she must've been sun bleached or something???? Her foal looks EXACTLY like her except with a white spot going over the opposite direction across her withers. I'm curious what she'll look like body clipped.

Here's a couple more pics. I can't find any full body shots, I'll keep looking though. Is that normal for buckskins to do that? I would have never guessed she was a buckskin. lol.

fioma3.jpg

fioma1.jpg

I am starting to wonder if she is a blue roan pinto or a grulla pinto? It would help to see full body shots!!

what color is her sire and dam?

-Gage-

Unfortunately I don't. I should've taken some.... I was expecting her to be black like Cinder after I shaved her... It was so weird when her color turned up like that... Her coat was as dark as his... Here Cinder is before and after being shaved...

Before body clip:

cinder6.jpg

After body clip:

cinder_best.jpg

Edited to add:

I actually don't know who her sire and dam are. She's unregistered at this point. I'm going to try and hardship her which is why I need to figure out her color. LOL. She was sold to me as double registered and when I made the last payment on her the lady sent me a hauling pass thing from AZ and now I can't get ahold of her. It's really quite upsetting as she is due next year with Cinder's foal... I tryed contacting AMHA and AMHR to see what horses were registered under her name, they couldn't even find any horses registered under the woman's name. Nor had she ever been a member. She kept on making weird excuses for me not to see the papers, I should have smelt a rat a long time ago and just taken the horse back. My mistake. I just like the mare a lot and she was realy in terrible hands...

If her coat was that dark before clipping she could very well be a Smokey Black, not a buckskin, IMHO there is no doubt that she carries a cream gene.

You can have her tested for Cream and Agouti to be sure.

Either way, gorgeous mare!!!
yes.gif

I actually have seen black horses clip out this light after the winter-woolies came of...

But she is very light, I don´t see any brownish teint for buckskin or bay, I won´t rule out grulla or smokey, does she have a dorsal?

No, she really doesn't have a dorsal. That's why I really didn't think she was buckskin or grulla. I am leaning towards smokey black, but I just don't know
smile.gif
I give up, LOL, what is she???
giveup.gif
LOL

Edited to add:

I will take some new pics of her tomorrow so long as my camera will allow me to do so!!! lol. That way you can see her entire body... Thanks for your help guys!

IMO she is black. My black gelding clips out that color his first clip of every year. THen he goes back black.

[SIZE=14pt]Buckskins dont always have a dorsal strip. That strip makes them a dunskin. She could be a sooty buckskin which looks black. If she was sun bleached her mane would be too. What # blade did you clip her with? I still vote buckskin.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I clipped her with a 10. I didn't think that would be too close. That's what I've always clipped everyone with... Yeah, I don't know what to call her. I like the color though, I'm sure not complaining about that... It's very interesting. I've never seen anything like it. But she's literally as dark or maybe even darker than Cinder's winter coat before clipping...

We have carpet movers here all day, so I will be away from the computer but I will return later tonight. Thanks all!!!

agouti is what all buckskins and bays have (and other colors can have it too) it is what makes there legs black! so if a bay didnt have the agouti it would be a black horse! if a buckskin didnt have the agouti(wich is not possible for a buckskin to not have the agouti) then it would be a smokey black!! a buckskin IS a bay, just with the cream gene!!

I also this she could be smokey black!!

My vote it either smokey black or sooty buckskin!

Maybe you should have her tested!

-Gage-

Latest posts

Back