What Color Am I?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
I think from what I've seen on the forum this filly is a smokey black with the silver gene, but having never actually had one it's pretty much a wild guess. Her dam was a palomino. Her sire appears to be a smutty buckskin, but her paternal sister is a silver buckskin out of a traditional buckskin mare, so I think he must carry silver. You can see that her forelock and mane are a mixed mousy/tan color and her tail to me is the clearest indicator that she carries silver. Her eyes are not amber exactly, but are definitely a lighter and golder shade of brown than my other horses. What do you guys think?

dusty726trot.jpg

dusty726.jpg

dustytrot.jpg

She looks like my silver black gelding, Cruiser. He tested Ee aa Zn and no cream. You can see him on the mini geldings page on my website www.CheyAutRanch.com

Jessi

The "chocolate" rockies that are that color are silver black
default_smile.png

Here are some photos of Cruiser... couldn't put them here before since I was in the middle of uploading photos to my photobucket ;)

cruiser6117.jpg

cruiser26117.jpg

81e43495.jpg

Here's his winter coat

cruiseradt3-29-8.jpg

cruiserdrive152-27-8.jpg

Jessi, I own and have seen several silver black minis, but I've never seen one quite like yours! He's pretty cool! Dusty's pasture mate is actually a silver black, but even sun bleached and ready for another clip there's a clear difference. This is the only picture I could find of the two of them (taken from the background of a picture of another horse), but you can kind of see what I mean about Dusty's mane and forelock compared to Dora's. Plus Dora definitely has silver tones on her body while Dusty's undertones seem to be more chocolate. She's registered as a grulla, but I'd like to have that corrected when I transfer her papers.

doradusty.jpg

(And thanks for the compliments Erika and Brandi--I'm pretty fond of her regardless of color.)

EDITED to say that those photos sure make a convincing case, but I've never had a silver black like this before!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a filly here that I wonder if she doesn't carry cream even though she is what I would call silver dapple (no dapples!). She is a taupe color pinto with very light brown to amber colored eyes. I can't seem to locate a picture of her to post. Her sire is a buckskin and her dam is a silver bay roan pinto. I wonder if your filly is the same 'color'?

yup she is the same color as a colt I had last year sired by a perlino and out of a silver dapple mare.. He is a smokey silver black. He does look like a chocolate rocky mountain horse in color.

I would see it as very possible she is smokey silver black (black, silver, cream). She is very pretty!!!

Latest posts

Back