What color am I?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I thought it would be fun to start a thread identifying colors for minis. With your help my Hershey is now a silver bay instead of a just a bay;)
Maybe there are others who would like help knowing what color their minis are. I’m hoping you will all join in. And if you already know the color of yours, maybe you will share pics for examples . I look forward to learning and seeing pics of your pretty minis.
Here are pics of my Mint She is gray with brownish coloring. I just always have called her a pinto. Is there another name for her coloring? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 6E6D348B-4025-4FB2-AAE7-27F9E9BB4818.png
    6E6D348B-4025-4FB2-AAE7-27F9E9BB4818.png
    806.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1AC0A961-A1EA-46FC-BB79-B91686DE2248.png
    1AC0A961-A1EA-46FC-BB79-B91686DE2248.png
    907 KB · Views: 13
  • DF2CF317-B791-4E3B-B777-26049BEFBBA0.png
    DF2CF317-B791-4E3B-B777-26049BEFBBA0.png
    943.5 KB · Views: 14
I would say she looks like a liver chestnut tobiano to me. Maybe a tovero. Tobiano is the most common pinto color in horses. Tovero is a mixture of tobiano (large patches of white that extend onto the rump, generally no white faces) and overo (normally a colored horse with smaller, more jagged white markings as opposed to “smoother” white markings with tobianos. Also overos normally have a white/bald face and lots of the time at least one blue eye) And she doesn’t have a black mane or forelock, her forelock is the same color as her body where is brown. So that leads me to believe that she’s a liver chestnut tobiano. She’s super dark, definitely not a regular chestnut! She’s gorgeous! How old is she?

Your first photo is almost a perfect picture of a beautiful silver dapple. The confusing part with the color is it varies so much with the seasons (winter is the worst to me). Stormy doesn't have the contrasting points and usually a lighter/redder body of a silver bay. JMO, lets see what all the smart people say.

I would say she looks like a liver chestnut tobiano to me. Maybe a tovero. Tobiano is the most common pinto color in horses. Tovero is a mixture of tobiano (large patches of white that extend onto the rump, generally no white faces) and overo (normally a colored horse with smaller, more jagged white markings as opposed to “smoother” white markings with tobianos. Also overos normally have a white/bald face and lots of the time at least one blue eye) And she doesn’t have a black mane or forelock, her forelock is the same color as her body where is brown. So that leads me to believe that she’s a liver chestnut tobiano. She’s super dark, definitely not a regular chestnut! She’s gorgeous! How old is she?

Hi, Mint is 8 yrs. My first pinto. I’ve never have known how to tell the difference from tobianos or tovero. Thank you 🙂

Here is Stormy…. What color am I? And why?💕

View attachment 44811

View attachment 44812

View attachment 44813

Edited to add:
He is registered as SILVER DAPPLE, but others have called him SILVER BAY.
I was gonna say he looks like a silver dapple to me! Especially in the first pic. Do you know who Matt Harnacke is? He’s in the Netherlands (has a YouTube channel) and he’s got a silver dapple mini named Bear. He looks very similar to your Stormy, except no white markings. I also almost picked up a mare that looks similar instead of my two rescues, it was gonna be her and a buckskin filly (before I met them I was going on color cause the people didn’t tell me any personalities, just that they were all friendly. They all were, but those two were the most shy and ran away from me. I decided to go with more friendly ones first, and then I’d I wanted to get more then I could have enough experience to work with more shy ones. My black mare is already pretty shy, but she wanted lots of attention at the end. There were two flaxen sorrel mares that were pretty friendly too, but I don’t know, they didn’t really catch my attention too much. There was a smaller lighter one and a bigger darker one. The dark one was ear shy, but I kept petting her and she basically got over that in like ten minutes lol. The small one was pretty good but she hadn’t had her feet done so they were really pointy and I didn’t want to deal with that. Plus she was so small with a big belly (not pregnant) that I didn’t think she could maybe jump as well as some of the others. I kept telling myself maybe I should sneak another one into the deal, cause originally they wanted me to take a few more. But then I’m like, I want to breed a foal with the next mini I get after these guys. If they’re a rescue, they probably won’t let me breed this girl, so if I got another filly or mare, then that’s another one I can’t breed. So I might sell Baccardi in the spring and look for a loud colored mare I could breed or that is already bred (color like dun pinto or buckskin pinto, maybe a silver something lol, grulla, idk something different than your average bay, black, sorrel etc) sorry for the rant. I had to get it out haha. Just saying, everyone’s horse is gorgeous! I love Stormy, I love Mint, and I love Hershey!

You’re welcome! I just learned that about a week ago haha, Google is an amazing thing and so is this forum! I love this place!

Your first photo is almost a perfect picture of a beautiful silver dapple. The confusing part with the color is it varies so much with the seasons (winter is the worst to me). Stormy doesn't have the contrasting points and usually a lighter/redder body of a silver bay. JMO, lets see what all the smart people say.
That’s exactly what I thought! The first looks silver dapple, the second looks chocolate brown, and the third looks almost like a caramel color! Can you tell I’m hungry? Lol 😂

Here are pics of my Mint She is gray with brownish coloring. I just always have called her a pinto. Is there another name for her coloring? What are your thoughts?
Mint is likely a smoky silver black, the mix of cream and silver on a black base often gives a wet paper bag coloration and the mane and tail are closer to self-colored than the lighter flaxen in silver blacks (silver dapple).

Here is Stormy…. What color am I? And why?💕

View attachment 44811

View attachment 44812

View attachment 44813

Edited to add:
He is registered as SILVER DAPPLE, but others have called him SILVER BAY.
Silver black, also called silver dapple. Silver dilutes black pigment to shades ranging from flaxen to silvery taupe in the mane and tail, and silver grey to the chocolate color on the body.

Dun stripe? It's hard to tell he even has a stripe because of the roaning....but, you can kind of see it right above his tail in this picture.

I've seen others post pictures of their horses on other forums asking if their horse is dun and the stripe looks pretty defined to me .....luckily I didn't post my opinion because then someone would always post saying it's countershading not a stripe....so I definitely don't trust my own judgement 😆

IMG_20211007_101731.jpg

Mint is likely a smoky silver black, the mix of cream and silver on a black base often gives a wet paper bag coloration and the mane and tail are closer to self-colored than the lighter flaxen in silver blacks (silver dapple).

Silver black, also called silver dapple. Silver dilutes black pigment to shades ranging from flaxen to silvery taupe in the mane and tail, and silver grey to the chocolate color on the body.
Thank you Chandab, I've been on vacation and just reading what I've missed.

Latest posts

Back