What classes should I enter? PHOTOS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Looking at the photos below of my little stallion at 1 and 2 years old, what classes do you think he is best suited for in an AMHR setting (By his color, conformation, etc)? I need to get a good one of him squared up for you. He's all fuzzy right now though. I don't have any three year old photos due to this. He will be showing as a 3 year old stallion (36 inches). Would a video of him trotting on lead help? THANKS!

1 year old

2 year old

How is his movement? Is he training to drive?

I would enter him in everything until I figured out what worked best for him and you. As the season goes on you will know what you both like to do best.

His movement is nice and smooth, but not overly animated. He is very consistant in hoof placement and timing of motion. He carries his head high and proud with a bright eye and perked ears. I am training him to drive. We have made it to ground driving and so far he seems to really enjoy that. I have done a few local shows and done very well in those. We did halter, cross rails (18 inches), obstacles, etc. I am going to my first AMHR sanctioned show this year and wasn't sure what all to try. They have almost 150 classes and it is overwhelming. At $30 a class, I want to be sure it is something we qualify for. :0)

You think color classes would be good? I think his color is GREAT, but I am a little biased :)

What about stallion? No underbite or overbite at all, I think good conformation overall...pretty head and eye.

(But then do I do "Modern Stalion", "Pleasure Stallion", "Foundation Stallion" "Classic Stallion", "Aged Stallion", "Model over stallion") ...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is registered back to Boones Little Buckaroo, IMA boones little buckaroo too, Toyland Zodiac, Gold Melody Boy, toyland...and more. Lots of foundation in him.

The AMHR showbill is here if you want to see the show classes to choose from: http://tmhv.net/events.html

You don't think you have to worry about the Classic/Modern/Foundation classes because he is not a Shetland, right? Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Pick classes that say AMHR in them otherwise you will be competing against show ponies.

Here is what I would pick--

- Halter Obstacle (Over/Under depending on height) this will be a good practice experience

-Class #110 Newcomers Halter Class (Its non-rated and will be a good practice

-Multi-Color Stallion/Gelding

-Showmanship-- If you like it

-Hunter/Jumper

-Amateur Halter Gelding/ Sr. Gelding Classes

-Liberty

I would recommend doing the $150 flat fee for 12 classes, so you feel less pressure than feeling like you blew a $30 class, its only $12.50 and it gives you the opportunity to try more things.

Last edited by a moderator:
fourluckyhorseshoes she is showing him as a stallion not a gelding. lol

Have you been to any AMHR shows to watch classes? Have you read the rule book on any classes you are interested in? I would not pay a bunch of money to enter your (very attractive) mini in many classes and not do well. This is not "on the job" training. You need to practice at home and decide what suits him and you. You should consider Halter Obstacle (practice at home),Showmanship (if he will stand still for you and you know the pattern) Multi color Halter, Liberty (if you can catch him easily) and Halter. Are you a youth? (under 18) Best to go in the Youth classes if they have them rather than the Open classes. Also, showing takes a lot of energy for the handler and the mini. 12 classes are way too many. Where is this show that charges $30 a class?

BTW If your stallion is 36" AMHA probably won't register him. The height limit is 34". Also, go on You Tube and enter "Miniature horse halter obstacle" and watch.

Yes, "Little Ones" I went for the last two years and watched most of the show. We have practiced a LOT at home. We practiced jumping ( not his best, but I am new to training for jumping), halter - great, halter obstacle - great, multi-color (given), and we don't have a place to practice Liberty in an arena, just a round pen, but he does okay, he just isn't very animated in the front. Lots of bucking and running, but not the big exaggerated trots.

I am not trying to register him in AMHA as I realize he is over their size limit.

Yes I read the AMHR show book from cover to cover.

The show is in Shelbyville TN and is a once a year big deal show. It is expensive.

IMO if the classes are that expensive (we are pretty lucky here with all day fees at most shows), but I would do the Sr Stallion Halter class to see how he does, I would do Model also but keep in mind it is not a HOF accredited class just all star points, I would skip color he is a pretty color but since in R that is pretty much all they are judging its not worth the money (once again just my opinion) I only show it when offered the all day fee, if you get him driving I would obviously do that, you will need to determine if he is western, country, or pleasure (descriptions of each in rulebook), obstacle and showmanship are both good too, hunter/jumper (since you say he isnt great at it yet I would pick one or the other to start with so you dont burn him out, hunter is slow, steady, and pretty, Jumper is speed and clean rounds), and my personal favorite is Liberty as it is a great class to just let me and my horses unwind at the end of the day!

Like I said though that with classes that high in price, depending on what your budget is, you should pick and choose whichever classes you think you will do best in and also have fun in. Make sure and let us know what classes you decide on and how you do. Good luck and remember to smile and have fun!

Reactions: JAX
Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely use it and let you know how we do!
default_thumbup.gif

Liberty isn't only about the animation, it is also about the walk, trot and canter in both directions, the use of the majority of the ring, the catch at the end and even the presentation of song, horse and handler (put on a show, wear a costume, pick a song that suits the gates). It is about the joy of watching the horse and the handler interact.

Carolyn... The walk doesn't usually come in to play during liberty. However, the trot is the most attractive gait so if the majority of the run is at the trot, the horse typically places better.

Latest posts

Back