What classes for my mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
Hello! I am fairly new to driving and VERY new to showing in driving and am trying to figure out what classes my mare should be in for AMHR. There are so many different options and I want to be sure I put her in one where she has a chance to succeed. Any pointers?

It all depends on how your horse moves. If your horse has flat/more QH type movement with a lower headset enter Western (Classic in AMHA) pleasure driving, for country pleasure a bit higher head and higher knee action, (single) pleasure driving requires a naturally high headset with high knee action and big movement. This is a generalization of the classes, of course it does require a bit more than explained. A video of your horse trotting would be helpful.

This picture might help.

performance-futurity.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also going on youtube and searching for those types of classes will help as well with a visual

I Am Ranch has some fantastic videos on YouTube that shows the difference. I searched a lot of videos, but also read the rulebooks for AMHR/A to see the differences. There's a 4-H club in Oregon I think that also had some things broke out in a pdf. Just google your heart out! Posting pictures or videos of your mare will help the experienced drivers help you out. Also, just wanted to say welcome! I am new just like you, it's been a fun (& interesting) ride so far! Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Thank you so much! This mare is very spirited and probably should be in roadster (LOL) but I want her to learn more than speed. I think she is probably a Country Pleasure as her movement is not huge but she does have a high-knee trot and decent headset. I just hope I can get her where she needs to be to at least be competitive at the shows, but also so she is safe.

When I first started training my boy, I thought he was going to be western ® or classic (A) because he had a low headset, easying going etc but since bringing him in and stall boarding him, giving him supplements and a balanced diet (unlike what he would get field boarding) his energy has jumped up and he carries a much higher head set and his step is coming out so it looks like he will be country pleasure now. I doubt he will be single pleasure but then again he might surprise me again.

Here are a few pictures of my mare. I Will try to get some video of her today.
default_smile.png

1010274_10200538194149856_1194370986_n.jpg

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

Back