What Chance Do Ex-Broodmares Have?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I want everybody to be VERY honest and blunt with me.

I want to take my ex-broodmare, Bow, who has been through 6 pregnancies (hence her extreme broodie belly) to some AMHR shows in the next couple years. My ultimate goal is to show her in the Youth Jumper class at the Iowa State Fair, for fun. That's what I'm hoping to do next year or the year after. (I assume the year after I would be in the adult since I'd be 18)

I do show for fun, but I'm curious if any of you guys would think she would have a chance at doing good. I don't care about winning or anything but I feel kind of intimidated since you know I'm just a small town Iowa kid who has pretty much the only Miniature horses in the county and no shows around me. (I'm in southern Iowa and the Miniature Horse shows are in NORTHERN Iowa.) To make it even better none of the shows around me have performance type stuff. Only halter and showmanship.

Now, *I* think my mare is doing a fantastic job. I mean, she can jump 16'' at the moment (started about three weeks ago).

Here's a video (I'll get a new one tonight). I do realize that I am too far in front of her. Working on that. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOny_phx8Ek

Picture:

262280_125781187508432_100002296543466_201595_5896426_n.jpg

But honestly, would you expect that after loads of work (safe...) that mare with that body and that jumping technique could actually do well at a state show? I don't know. I REALLY don't just want to go to a show with LOADS of BEAUTIFUL miniatures and totally embarrass myself. I couldn't imagine what some people would think of Bow. Come on. What would YOU think of a mare with THAT body competing against slim maiden mares and geldings? LOL! Bow's has some history behind her!

I kind of think this to be like entering a woman who has brought more than one child (or TEENAGER! ROFL!) into the world and putting her in a swim suit contest with young women half her age.

Would you think that after a year or two's training that I'd be setting us both up for intimidation and embarrassment?

Im so glad you started this thread!
default_yes.gif

I myself, am also a youth and have an ex-broodmare who im debating on getting back in the show ring. She has had four foals, and also has the "belly" like Bow. My goal with my girl would be to someday show her in the hunters and youth showmanship, as she has jumped up to 34" with square knees, good pace, no problem, and is sound and quiet. She has great bloodlines, and is a pretty nice little mare, but she would probably be an "outcast" as you said aswell! (We could make our own "ex-broodmare turned hunter/jumper division" LOL!) I know my mare isn't perfect and fit and tight, but it'd still be a blast to get out there to the shows and have some fun!

Definitely keep us updated on her progress if you do decide to train her to show!!
default_yes.gif

Here's my mare LR Scouts Little Jeannie, in her prime years before the babies started coming along:

jeannie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! We should make our own class! LOL!

Your mare is MUCH better quality than mine though. She is a LOOKER!

I have a video of her tonight where she jumped 20''. I'm uploading it now. (Its about halfway done.)

Haha! We should make our own class! LOL!

Your mare is MUCH better quality than mine though. She is a LOOKER!

I have a video of her tonight where she jumped 20''. I'm uploading it now. (Its about halfway done.)

Hey, im game for that!
default_laugh.png
LOL

And thank you, I adore her now very pudgey, out of shape self! It's amazing how fit she was back then compared to four foals later.
default_wacko.png

And im uploading a video if my girl jumping right now too! Should be up within the hour
default_smile.png
Then you can see how different she looks now....... hehe

Hey

I have an Ex-Brood mare that I bought and showed. She has had 4 or 5 foals registered to her. She showed sucsessfully last year. Made it in 4-H Great!! Overall High point Horse and youth in our local club. I bred her for this year for a foal. It will most likely be her last, Maybe. I will show her next year for sure after baby is weaned.
default_biggrin.png

Oh ETA She does everything, but drive. ( that might change soon) Halter, jumping, Trail (halter obstcale sp), Hunter, ETC. I trained her myself. Incase you didn't know I am a Youth also.
default_biggrin.png
(I don't think many people here know that.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png
)

Here she is.

(This is last year middle of the show season.)

005-Copy.jpg

Hey, im game for that!
default_laugh.png
LOL

And thank you, I adore her now very pudgey, out of shape self! It's amazing how fit she was back then compared to four foals later.
default_wacko.png

And im uploading a video if my girl jumping right now too! Should be up within the hour
default_smile.png
Then you can see how different she looks now....... hehe
I'll look forward to the video! Feel free to post it here!

Thanks for the compliments on my mare's new found jumping ability!

Your mare is adorable, well taken care of an obviously much loved. I wouldn't think twice about giving this a shot if she were mine. The thing I like about this is that you are thinking SMART and giving yourselves a full year to get things tuned up and tucked up. Keep in mind that belly may not all go away but some of it will and that should help her over the jumps. Just be sure you do continue to think SMART and not over-do the training and get overzealous and start working her half to death like many do.

Ten minutes a day of good excercise is plenty for now and don't keep focused on jumping her daily. Do other things and mix it up a bit and make your plan to condition her fun. Don't go the starvation into shape mode either, but again, keep thinking smart and plan a good nutricious feed program for her with all the protein she will need. I'd like to see another picture of her this fall to see how you are progressing. I really like this girl and you too! Good luck.

PS: I love that crack about

I kind of think this to be like entering a woman who has brought more than one child (or TEENAGER! ROFL!) into the world and putting her in a swim suit contest with young women half her age.

Yes that would be ME! Knock it off child and play nice!
default_biggrin.png

Hey! Congratulations!! Bow looks great!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

She looks as though she really enjoys her fun jumping too. I think you should go for it and have fun together doing what you both enjoy.

I agree with Marty, you are one smart young lady, so just take it slow, plenty of food for Bow, lots of different types of exercise (just short spells each time/day), occasional short jumping sessions, depending upon the ground conditions, to give her legs and muscles a chance to strenghten, and several months down the line you will start to see her become fitter and change shape (dont expect her to lose that Momma belly, it isn't going to happen, but it will reduce given time)

Good luck to you (and the others on here thinking on the same lines), please keep in touch as you progress - I just know you and the lovely Bow are going to enjoy future success!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Go for it! Who cares what others think- go to have FUN. You have a very pretty mare.

I had a friend years ago that showed a mare in showmanship. She was not a pretty mare: large head, long backed, short legs... but that mare would PLANT that hind foot to pivot. Stood up immediately when halted. And she was groomed IMPECCABLY. It was VERY hard to beat her! Almost impossible, in fact!
default_laugh.png

I once bought a brood mare at one of those premier sales, supposedly in foal, well she wasn't. My daughter decided to condition her and show her, she did very well, winning many first places in showmanship, obstacle, etc. problem was she was happier being a brood mare, and not very happy in the ring. So now she is back in the broodmare band. Very happy girl!

Thank you for the responses guys.

I am trying to do this as slow and as safe as I can. We are hoping to find more ways to keep exercise entertaining for Bow. Last night we cut training VERY short when she flew over the 20''. Tonight, I WON'T be exercising her because of the heat and the fact that she was busy prancing around the pasture with the herd. Its much to hot to do anything but give horses baths which they don't mind!
default_laugh.png

Marty mentioned a nutritious feed program. Last night I did up her feed since previously she had been doing good on less but since I had been exercising her I had noticed that she had *just* started to get hippy and ribby. So, I was glad that I caught that early. I did up her feed to the recommended amount. (she had been half that)

We're thinking of doing ground poles more and jumping every so often. (Not high. Just under 20'')

I don't winter to come though! I don't want to stop training her, but she deserves a break. Next spring and summer will be fun though. I'm thinking of showing her locally this August and next summer in halter just to get her back into the ring and for fun. I could care less if she would win or not.

Thanks for the honest feedback guys.

Back in April I had the pleasure to see a 11yr old mare come out of the broodmare line and take her class at the show. Go for it and have fun. Showing is about the fun and friendships made in my books. Winning or placing is just icing on the cake.

Hi Tremor
default_smile.png

I love your little mare, what a good jumper
default_smile.png

I am a youth as well, well here in Australia I am hehe a bit older then you girls I turned 21 last year, I have just recently bought two mini's one in foal who should foal any day/week ( don't know her dates which sucks but oh well)

my other mini is lots of fun and a great jumper!! thinking of training her up and doing some shows with her in the spring before I put her into foal :D here is a pic of her just after I got her, she has a little more weight on her now and is looking much better
default_smile.png

Penny.jpg

It's not a very good pic and she has rounded out better now but am so excited to try her out with the jumps
default_smile.png

keep us updated with how you go with your little girl :D very interested in what your doing :D

question, do you not put jumping boots on minis when you jump with them? I do with my stockhorse, just wondering if mini pple do with their minis??

Here's a video of my ex-broodmare, LR Scouts Little Jeannie, jumping a small jump this afternoon. She is 7 years old, and has had 4 foals, and I plan to get her into shape and hopefully show her in the hunters in AMHA, just for the fun of it of course!
default_yes.gif
She is a very sweet mare with a cute little jump, and should be a ton of fun to get in the ring!

^^^ thats the link. Im not sure how to post videos on here
default_wacko.png

Thank you for the responses guys.

I am trying to do this as slow and as safe as I can. We are hoping to find more ways to keep exercise entertaining for Bow. Last night we cut training VERY short when she flew over the 20''. Tonight, I WON'T be exercising her because of the heat and the fact that she was busy prancing around the pasture with the herd. Its much to hot to do anything but give horses baths which they don't mind!
default_laugh.png

Marty mentioned a nutritious feed program. Last night I did up her feed since previously she had been doing good on less but since I had been exercising her I had noticed that she had *just* started to get hippy and ribby. So, I was glad that I caught that early. I did up her feed to the recommended amount. (she had been half that)

We're thinking of doing ground poles more and jumping every so often. (Not high. Just under 20'')

I don't winter to come though! I don't want to stop training her, but she deserves a break. Next spring and summer will be fun though. I'm thinking of showing her locally this August and next summer in halter just to get her back into the ring and for fun. I could care less if she would win or not.

Thanks for the honest feedback guys.

I just upped my mares feed aswell!
default_laugh.png
Seems as if we have alot in common!

Latest posts

Back