What causes whites around the eyes to be red???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBarakah

Reaction score
Hi,

My precious little girl is NOT doing as well as I am likeing..........I saw her poop, but she is rolling back and fourth and swishing tail. She's NOT nursing like she should and needless to say I have "YET" gotten to bed!

And the whites around her eyes are red?

I thought I have seen a topic about that before but wouldn't know where to look. My computer is ONLY working (internet connection) VERY DANG little this early A.M.!!!!!!! NOT a happy camper!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try to give her a enema? Should I give her some mineral oil, if so how much? I've not encountered this problem before... of course TOO early in the a.m. to call anyone~!!!!!!!!! arh! If anyone's up I'd SURE like some suggestions!!!!!!!

The red I'm told is from pressure during birthing. It will go away over time. But it could also mean that she wasn't getting enough oxygen during the birthing process, so sometimes they can act a bit "slow" when that happens. I hope you can get a vet to help you if you need it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Check and see if her eye lashes are turning in they may need cut off. I have had several foals that the eye lashes curl in and irritate the eyes. Also a enema should take care of the pooping thing. As for nurseing I would call the vet no matter what time it is she only has so long to get the transfer,or milk mare and try to bottle feed her.

Hi Chesa,

Congratulations and I hope your new filly is doing better by now.

The red around the eyes is caused by pressure in the birth canal. It should go away within a few days. I did have something happen on a foal born here a few weeks ago. The birth went just fine but when I checked on the foal a few hours later, he had a huge red blob sticking out of one of his eyes! It looked gross and I'd never seen that before. Called my vet on that one and he said that if it looked like a blood blister, it too would go away. He had me use some opthalmic antibiotic ointment in it and in a couple of days it completely resolved. It was also caused by pressure in the birth canal. I'd never seen that in all my years foaling!

You can give your girl an enema. I would use warm water with a little mild detergent in it.

If she doesn't get the nursing thing down, you will need to have her tubed. I had one that couldn't figure out the nursing (preemie) and I had to take them to the vet clinic. They got him nursing and two plasma transfers and antibiotics for a joint infection, he now appears fine at a month of age.

Good luck with your filly and keep us posted!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry your filly is not doing well. Perhaps she is better now?

You can use a childs enema on her, that should help. I had a filly born Wed in mid day in this heat, she was fine when she was born, jumped up starting nursing, pooped. But by eve., about 6 hrs later she was laying around alot, not nursing and so on. I gave her an enema and she was full of hard balls of poop., both dark colored and then lighter colored. Nursing/milk is a natural laxative and if they don't get enough of it they can get constipated fairly quickly. I think the heat pulled her down some too, even though she was in covered stall with lots of ventalation.

Perhaps your vet has contacted you by now? Or been there by now? It is vital that they get the colustrum they need and poop really well within the time frame allowed for this.

Please let us know how she is doing? We are hoping for good news in your next post!

Beth

* Yes on the red around her eyes. That is from birthing and should go away soon. I have had several like this in the past, even tho., they foal quickly sometimes it can still happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
Ok! FINALLY able to get back on the comptuer! Stinking computer was down til about a hour ago and then had to fight the kids off the computer!
default_wacko.png
AND to make matters worse my water quit working last night around 9pm! SO NOOOOOO water in the house OR outside!!!!!!!! WHAT A PAIN! Luckily my mom lives a mile down the road so had to take the horse feed over there this a.m. to soak and water jugs for drinking.

As for my new little Gwen filly.... I do believe that the red around her eyes if from the FAST birth! I think she must of just shot out of there because they mare "JUST" started pushing when I headed out to the barn, and the barn is VERY close to the house and when I got out to the barn she was already out and the umbilical cord was already broke! Very quick delivery!

And maybe she did lack some oxygen why it's been SO hard for her to figure out the nursing thing.

So I went out there every hour to 2 hours to make sure she would nurse.

WHen I came back with the soaked feed to my DELIGHTFUL suprise the filly was nursing mom and she nursed her a couple times while I was feeding and even saw her run and do a little hop!
default_wub.png
So she is DEFFINATELY doing MUCH better!! She is SOOOOOO little....... just like a little fawn! So I am still going to watch her like a hawk and SOOOOOOOOOO glad the mare foaled the day "after" the terrible storms we were having!!
default_yes.gif

Glad your little one is doing so much better........

Has she pooped yet? Often the nursing can move things along in that department.

We keep the children's Fleet enema applicators for re-use. Our homemade enema is: Half warm water, half mineral oil, and a drop of liquid soap.

Thanks miniv for asking! She has pooped! And I think that was her whole problem even though I saw her go to begin with, she was still stopped up inside! So I should of given her a enema........but things are good to go now! Such a relief!
default_yes.gif

Congrats on your new filly and I hope she keeps on improving for you Chesa..

Latest posts

Back