What can I do differently?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onequarterfarm

Reaction score

This is my four yr old 34" gelding. I took him to our third show yesterday and he placed horribly...3 out of 4 in multicolor and 5 out of 5 for miniature 4 and over. The minis that placed above us were markedly heavier, not groomed as nice and some were bigger or smaller...is there anything I need to change weight wise or anything, or was the judge just not fond of his more refined look? He is a gorgeous boy with more white on the other side and a past the shoulder mixed black and white mane...I'm new to this, so learning all I can!

Not sure why he would not have placed better, without seeing the others, but he looks like a very nice boy to me!

Multicolor is truly on the preference of a judge that day, some love dilutes and some hate them, just depends on the judge. As far as halter, he looks like a very nice boy, one thing I would say to do based on this picture is to show him square rather than stretched. He looks like he has nice conformation as far as I can tell by this one pic but overstretching him makes him look longer and weakens his hind end. Otherwise he is a beautiful boy and I would def. take him to more shows. Remember each show that you are just paying for that judges opinion on that day, doesnt mean that is what all the others will think too.

Thanks all:) We are working on the stretching...he over does it on his own:) I am curious about his weight...every show this year we have competed with minis that have way more "groceries" than him. Right now he is being conditioned by his daily ground driving lessons:)

What type of shows are you taking him to? Breed shows? Open Shows? Might make a difference, as to the type of judges the shows have; many open shows have stock horse judges so they'll "see" the horses differently than mini judges might. Just a thought.

Without seeing your competition, its hard for us to tell anything from just one photo. Keep trying, maybe that particular judge has a slightly different preference.

I think he's nice!
default_yes.gif
Looks like you're doing a good job to me!

I would (like you said) set his hind feet just a little more under him so his body doesn't look as long. And maybe sweat his throatlatch just a little. I love his color! I wonder if there is anything that can enhance it (feed additives) like BOS or paprika. If you do that, make sure it's not something that shows up as a drug in testing (if the shows you go to do that sort of thing)

I say keep up the good work! You're doing fine!
default_thumbup.gif

the black and white won??? well he wouldnt be my cup of tea but I did rather like the bay , your boy is lovely although I do agree with the others stand him square , its hard to see but what are his front hooves like? I suspect that are very upright and boxy and that will affect how your horse moves , just one other suggestion , I dont know if its allowed over there but I think your boy would look fab with a little dark face makeup , it would pretty up his head and define his bone structure a bit more , use some whitening products on his legs to get more contrast , talc or chalk will do the job without breaking the bank

Just remember that every time you show you are getting that judge's opinion on that day, against that competition. We just went through this with one of (what we feel is) our best minis. Last place in her first two shows, with one other horse in each class. Now at the first show, it was a saddlebred, and at the second show it was a 2 X AMHR National Champion, very well fitted and shown by an experienced young handler. We didn't give up and at her third show, the judge LOVED her even though she never stood that well. She still didn't win but she placed well and he gave us compliments each time we left the ring. So don't give up!!! Your boy is nice. Remember, someone has to place last.

Yes, you never know what a judge will do. I took a mini stallion to an open, all-breed show. I was just going to show in the one driving class, but figured I might as well show him in halter for giggles. He won both the stallion classes and took champion halter! Okay, heres the funny part. He is NOT a halter horse, thicker neck that ties in kind of low, clubby feet all four. However he has the finest head I've ever seen on a mini and he was just so well behaved. After the judge gave us champion she commented to me she just loved how well behaved he was, had never seen one so good! So who knows what a particular judge is looking at or for.

I've seen a stallion place third or fourth because he's too extreme a month or two before the Nationals where he placed National Grand
default_smile.png
. So you never know!

gosh he is gorgeous! I love him, conformation and color.

About all I can say is don't get discouraged because he is a winner.

I like him, of course there are a lot of things you can't tell from a photo like movement. I have basically no showring experience but my sister, who does, has told me to enter the ring as if your animal is the best there. No matter what. Exuding confidence can make all the difference between a win or barely placing. This advice may not apply to you but it was the first thing that entered my mind! Best wishes!

WE went to another open show, but with a miniature biased judge:) She placed him first in mini halter open and sixth against the big horses in english halter, 12 in class. Feeling better. I did stand him more square and he looked better:) Still working on getting him to use what neck he has better:)

I would have given him a 1st or second to the bay. Your horse is lovely and i very much like his conformation.

You have to realize when you show in an open show you run the risk of having a judge that doesn't have a clue what to look for in a miniature. That's what happened there. Heh probably judged on color.

Go to a breed show and show him in model. He's really nice nice nice.

Whatever judge picked the b/w as first, providing he looks as the picture shows him, must like plow horses or Belgians. You'll get a large variety of opinions from judges and at open shows you never know what they are looking for. I actually had a Pinto judge come over to me once and tell me that my mini was "so cute, he looks just like a 'little' horse." I couldn't believe that I paid for that guy's opinion!

That's the thing with showing.... You are merely paying for one persons opinion... And what they may like is not what your horse is. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your horse at all.

Latest posts

Back