What brought you to the world of Mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father had horses all his life, my fathers father had horses all his life and so on and so on down the line. Dad had big horses ..everything from a mule to a percheron, to thoroughbred and saddlebreds to now TN walkers and gaited breeds. Ive had minis for about 6 years now, before that i had a few big horses ..i more just tinkered around with dads horses ..i never realy got into it.

Big horses just were not my "thing" and i am a big believer that there is more to horses then just riding, with big horses it always seemed that if the horse could not be rode then it was worthless ...to much of the same thing ride ride ride ....with the minis there is SO much more that I can do with them and i enjoy it all
default_wub.png
. Got my first mini six years ago, grade gelding name Coco ...he now lives with Linda (Lgahr here). Took him to a few local open shows and fairs ...then got a few more grade minis, then about four years ago sold the grade ponies and really learned about showing, conformation ext and started putting together a herd of AMHA , AMHR and/or ASPC horses.

My father had horses all his life, my fathers father had horses all his life and so on and so on down the line. Dad had big horses ..everything from a mule to a percheron, to thoroughbred and saddlebreds to now TN walkers and gaited breeds. Ive had minis for about 6 years now, before that i had a few big horses ..i more just tinkered around with dads horses ..i never realy got into it.
Big horses just were not my "thing" and i am a big believer that there is more to horses then just riding, with big horses it always seemed that if the horse could not be rode then it was worthless ...to much of the same thing ride ride ride ....with the minis there is SO much more that I can do with them and i enjoy it all
default_wub.png
. Got my first mini six years ago, grade gelding name Coco ...he now lives with Linda (Lgahr here). Took him to a few local open shows and fairs ...then got a few more grade minis, then about four years ago sold the grade ponies and really learned about showing, conformation ext and started putting together a herd of AMHA , AMHR and/or ASPC horses.
Thanks Leeana....they really do sound like there is so much you can do. They seem to make people happy.

What a great thread! My story is similar to yours in that I started with horses later in life - about 37ish, but in my case I never actually fell off of a horse or even came close, but it was always in the back of my head that it was going to happen sooner or later. I am a very tentative rider. I only really like to ride in a small enclosed arena. I bought a 22 year old "been there done that" and he is great, but his arthritis forced him into retirement 2 years ago. I still am around big horses everyday (we own 2 plus I very often take care of other boarder's horses). I just don't ride often at all. My daughter's horse has a little bit too much "go" for me.

As for minis, I have always like tiny things. The tinier the better. I even wished to be short (I'm 5'7" so not quite). My favorite dogs are yorkies (I have two - an average sized one at 6 lbs and a tiny at 3 lbs.). Tiny things just fascinate me. We first got to know this herd of minis that lived nearby and went to visit them almost daily. We even talked with the city to see if we could have one in our back yard - they said no. About that time is when my daughter and I started taking lessons and riding big horses - about 5 years ago.

Fast forward to this past May when we went to a mini show and fell in love with minis all over again. These minis were sleek and pretty and looked like "real" horses verses the chubby fur balls we knew from the pasture. We met one of the breeders at the show that lived nearby and spent quite a bit of time visiting his horses and getting to know a couple of them. We fell in love with all of them, but in particular our little Image. I'm not sure what we will do with him show wise, if anything, but if so, it would likely be the "fun" classes - liberty, obstacle, hunter, etc. My daughter thinks that we bought him for her and I did, I just thought she would have grown tired of him by now and passed him to me, LOL She hasn't! I just may have to get my own. My older daughter who rides her big horse about 6 days per week would like to get a mini to teach jumping, trail and driving. She has her eye on a 3 year old gelding and our breeder has made us an offer that is just too good to be true.... I'll keep you all posted on that....

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to everyone who has shared their story.

Hi Melissa and WELCOME!

I'm glad you were not permanently injured! It's still a scary thing to go through. A friend of our family was an accomplished rider, and ended up being paralyzed when I think she was 20. I've ridden ranch horses (QH, etc.) since I was a kid, but got away from it for YEARS. I saw my first mini when I was 11 and thought they were adorable. When my hubby and I finally had room for horses a couple of years ago, HE didn't want big ones but we both loved minis. So we've built a little herd of minis that are our pride and joy. And, what happens??? I get the idea that I have to have big ones again and we now have 4 Arabians. This is one of my hubby's few times where he gets to say "I told you so..." as I still enjoy our minis so much more. Like you, I'm terrified to ride again after I blew out my good knee last summer due to my own clumsiness (not horse related). So, now that the doc says that it will never heal 100%, I'm afraid of doing anything to mess it up again.
default_no.gif
It looks like I'll be selling our Arabians after all, since I'm too 'scardy' to climb back on, and they're too spirited for my younger daughter. LOL, or I'd think about trading them for some more minis!!!
default_yes.gif

Anyways, good luck to you in your entrance into the miniature world!
default_aktion033.gif
It's so fun and there are some really wonderful people here on LB. I do agree with the suggestions to find a mentor (preferably nearby, but there are plenty of people on LB that would likely be a great help), get more info from AMHA/AMHR, look through the breed magazines and online and identify the physical type you are most drawn to, attend some local shows and see what types of classes may appeal to you, and just take it slowly. There are alot of mini breeders/owners who will also work with you on payments to buy your dream mini, and will give you a break on the purchase price to help you get started too. Geldings make such wonderful companions, and you don't have to deal with the hormones interfering with their attention to YOU.

Hope to hear more from you in the future, and don't worry about asking questions that you may feel are 'stupid' (as there's no such thing).

When I was little and wanted a horse my uncle used to say to me "beg your parents for a draft horse and eventually they will compromise and buy you a riding horse and consider themselves lucky" Lets just say I had to beg for a reeealllly long time.......
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

My parents bought him for me because we couldn't aford the monthly expense of boarding a riding horse but had plenty of money and space to keep a small pony or miniature horse at home. They thought having the horse would keep me out of trouble and they knew I'd probably NEVER shut up until I had one LOL He was though a bit of an impulse buy on their part as we never planned to get one, we were only visiting the farm to see what they were like! In the end, he ended up costing less to house and feed than it even would have been to put me in weekly riding lessons ($35 a week approx, plus gas to the stable, clinics etc) never mind boarding or even leasing a riding horse!

Hello... I am in southern California, where exactly are you?

I can help assess horses for you if you'd like a second opinion on anything you find. Please e-mail me, go to my website to find my e-mail address link.

You will LOVE miniature horses
default_smile.png

Andrea

Hi Melissa & welcome, from friendly Manitoba!

I grew up with horses (big horses) and when I was a kid I did have a couple shetland ponies that I rode. One was a shetland, the other a Mini sized Shetland/POA cross that we drove a lot. Once I outgrew those I had only full size horses (Morgans actually, though I rode a lot of other breeds too) for years & years. I always thought Minis were cute, but didn't know why I'd actually want to own one!

Then in 2001 I rescued two starving little ponies, which turned out to come with AMHR papers. Soon after that I bought another little gelding. Turns out those little horses were so cute and just plain FUN...I was having a lot of work related stress back then, and I'd come home upset or angry and when I'd go out to the barn & see those 3 little guys I just couldn't stay upset or angry--they were great stress relievers, just because they were so friendly & affectionate and happy.

At the time I got those first Minis I couldn't ever imagine giving up the Morgans, but look at me now--we have umpteen Minis and only 1 Morgan. I could have never imagined giving up riding and selling my saddles,(we did drive our Morgans too) but I haven't ridden in several years now & last year sold the last of the saddles--our custom made, top of the line western saddles--to buy a Smart Cart and a better easy entry cart plus some extra harness & fancy show halters...now that we're driving these minis I don't miss riding at all!

My mom is in her 70's and rather badly affected by arthritis. She cannot ride any more, and cannot even handle the big horses anymore. She can, however, still handle the Minis and enjoys driving them, so our downsizing into Minis suited her too.

I have a friend who got into Minis after a big horse threw her & injured her quite badly. She decided that she didn't need a repeat of that accident in her future, especially since she was left with some residual back/hip problems after her spill. I've talked to many other people who are in much the same boat--either they had a bad fall & were injured badly enough that they are no longer able to ride, or else they lost their nerve and don't want to ride any more. They all say the Minis let them enjoy horses again.

I'm quite certain that you will enjoy Minis just as much as the rest of us do!!

Hi and welcome to LB.

Im so happy you didnt get to terribly injured. I used to ride last year. I was fine at my old barn but then I moved to a different one. This has been a huge night mare to me. I fell off which really isnt a problem every one does, but I fell off like a 16 hand ornery highstung in my standards gelding. and of course it was at a canter. So now I hate to canter. Then when we moved to our winter barn that was it I was done with riding forever. this barn wa sreally dumpy and had a dark old riding arena. The people I was riding from always told me to tell them how I felt. Even whane I did they never listened. they put me a novice timid rider on ornery old ponys and quarter horses. The only horse i felt safe on ever at that barn was an arabian mare that we had a special connection. To this day I rgret ever riding there. i liked working there, but because of me not doing anything before that happened, i probably will never ever ride again.

then, last summer my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I always wanted horses, so he told me that I could get minis. And gese I love minis so much Im trying to buy more. but the ones I have are a bit of a pain so theyll rpobably always be my faves i am always drawn to horse like that i do not know why.

I had big horses and showed them from 10-20 years old. When hubbie and I went to our 1st mini horse driving races we were hooked. It took us several years after that to buy land and move to it but we did it! Have had minis ever since and now shetlands too. Annd I am currently showing in driving. Sadly there are no more mini horse races in Florida anymore.
default_no.gif

So sorry your confidence has been shaken. Maybe you need a more "bombproof" horse; he obviously isn't.

I rode on the A Circuit for years. I had two thoroughbreds (one was a hunter and one was a jumper) and loved them both very much. I also catch-rode. So I got to sit on, probably, every type of horse (psychologically speaking). I was pretty fearless and had a knack for the difficult ones. I stopped riding when I was in my early 20s, cold turkey, for various reasons. I moved from downtown Toronto to 3 hours southwest on a farm about 3 years ago. We don't have the facilities yet for a big one (paddock space, stalls, etc.) so I chose minis because I needed my horsey fix
default_laugh.png
I just love the spirit of the horse (big or small). I train some young warmbloods in the area and will be starting a 3 year old big girl next year, and I go trail riding every once in a while with some friends on their horses. We actually went for a bareback ride last night and I fell off after she made a huge jump over a puddle, after coming down a hill...in the mud LOL (It's been at least four months since I rode, let alone bare back...balance was shaky to say the least). She was so sweet. She just stood there stock-still and waited for me to hop back on. It was also a soft landing
default_wacko.png
That's what you need
default_wink.png
Eventually I'll get big ones again, but I'll always have my little ones too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I love hearing all your stories and i am excited to start my mini adventure. Of course I must sell my TWH first so I can buy the mini or mini's. My daughter still has her 15 year QTR mare.

Do mini's and big horses get along?

Hi welcome to LB, this is a great place and I am sure you will find a wealth of information here.

I to had to give up riding biggies because of the potential of getting seriously hurt. I have 3 QH's that are in their 20's that will be yard ornaments until they pass on, If I tried to place them these days they would be dog food. They are our pets and will live out their days with us. I have had 2 knee replacements and it's not worth the risk of falling off even once.

I got into minis because they are ALL horse, lovely temperments and it is just as rewarding to work with them as big horses but it doesn't cut of your toe if they step on you and it is so much easier to handle them. You will love them too.

I would get a couple of good books on minis and do some research and shopping before you buy so that you make the best choice right off the bat. Go to some local shows and talk to people that have the type of mini you are interested in. Look for good confirmation and temperment 1st, then color. Good luck.

My story is different l grew up in the city and wasn't even close to a horse till in my mid 30's when l'd go to ride at a local stable with a horse crazy girlfriend and loved it but my husband thought l spend to much time there and wasn't impressed...he worked with a guy who was one of the first up here into minis and l got one as a surprise for christmas 27 years ago. l was not happy he was a weaner and so tiny l thought it was a joke as l'd never even seen or heard of miniature horses before. And what the heck would a person do with one how so boring. Big surprise that one mini turned into 2 then 3 then 14 when we had to either move or downsize the herd because we had limits where we lived on 8 acres...again the old man wasn't to happy but they were so much fun for me and the kids he said lets move and we bought a quarter section and moved...the one daughter and l've enjoyed having them in our lifes the other never from a toddler liked horses and still doesn't..but probably knows more about them then we do..

I've ridden and shown throughout my life(about 30 years). I still have two QH's(one is 16.2 and growing(he's 3 years old). I've gotten hurt a couple of times by horses that fell on me. One was the horse tripped and fell. I ended up losing my memory for 24 hours. The other was a horse that reared and flipped over(some permanent long term memory loss and broken bones). I have never regained my confidence from the horse that flipped over on me.

I have an older QH mare that I've shown through the years and she has become such a laid back, sweet horse(now a pasture ornament). Two years ago I bought a yearling QH colt from a breeding that I love. It was a dream come true. I had him gelded. He's still growing. My son was out the other day feeding one blade of grass to him at a time. He was on one side of the fence and Moxie was waiting patiently for each blade. He's very sweet. He needs to be trained which I'm not sure when that's going to happen. Plus, with my confidence shaken I'm a bit uneasy about getting back on a young horse. We will see.

In the fifth grade I did a report on miniature horses and dreamed of owning some one day. When I was 18 I answered an ad for a farm that wanted a miniature stallion worked with. I lived too far away for the work they wanted done, but I was hooked at that point. I knew someday I would have a miniature.

Fast forward about 10 years later.... same farm...... I got to go back to the farm and visit. I fell in love with two miniatures. One of them was a gelding(named Major) sired by that same stallion that I had a chance to work with.
default_smile.png
And a palomino mare named Merri. Major my little bay wonder passed away in 2002. We still have Merri. She's 22 years old and still just as beautiful as ever. We now have 9 miniatures(two of them are Merri's sons). They really have been a dream come true.

Kim

Welcome from Australia! We LOVE our minis here too

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Get a mini, you will never regret it.
default_wub.png

I started out riding, trail riding, and then got into dressage. Then I joined a local driving club and started driving, still with the big horses. I had always wanted a mini, but couldn't seem to justify getting one until I got into driving and found out that you can drive them. In the meantime I was still driving and riding my mare. We were doing really good and were even going to ADT's and a CDE. But as her training progressed she started to get more "hot" and then more spooky. I had her vet checked for physical issues, but nothing. She behaves well for my trainer so we figured that I would get nervous when she starts looking and it transfers to her. Plus she takes advantage of me. But we were doing okay with consistant lessons. Then during a clinic, she spooked badly and started to hop around and run back. The clinician took the reins from me and calmed her down, and we finished the lesson well, but it really shook my confidence. So now I am not real comfortable working with her without a trainer helping me. We were both green, which I would never do again and it is a very common mistake people make. And for the past several months my trainer has been very busy and out of town a lot, so I have got nothing done with my big horse.

So during this time I had bought an oversized mini/shetland that I drive and then aquired three other mini geldings. I have discovered that I have more confidence with the minis and I can work with them without having my trainer there every minute. I have also discovered that while I will always love the big horses and riding and driving them, there is something very special about minis. They have so much personality. They are easier to manage, take places, etc. Go visit some farms if possible and decide what you might like to do with minis. I don't think you will ever regret getting into the minis, even if you miss riding someday and get another big horse.

I am not real sure how to send a reply . I guess I wll figure it out.

I came the the mini world for a number of reasons.

I have been showing big horses for 60+ years.

I decided that the fuel was prohibitive and the feed was going high.

There are a number of mini owners/breeders in this area, who are good friends of mine. I have watched the drive their minis and have a great time.

I just decided it was time to make a switch.
default_aktion033.gif

Here I am with two minis now and one large QH. As soon as I find an appropriate home for the QH, he is leaving.

I will say that I am having a wonderful time with my little guys.

[SIZE=12pt]Hi....[/SIZE]
I am new here and just wanted you all to share the reasons that you choose Miniature Horses. Do you ride full size horses as well or do some of you strictly breed/raise/show minis?

Now to explain why I am curious.

I started riding 3 years ago at the age of 39. I did what everyone says not to do and bought a 5 year old Tennessee Walking horse. I got very lucky with him because he had the best temperment, quick learner, very forgiving and willing. All I can say is these past 3 years have been tough. I often find excuses not to ride and when I do I am always tense and fearful. I have had other people ride him and they say he is awesome.

I was starting to "cowgirl up" the last couple of weeks but I was always fearful. 2 years ago he took off on a gallop on me because horses we were with did. I fell off and really got hurt. It's been a struggle. I am great with him on the ground but in the saddle it's a different story. He's 16 hands and that's high.
default_smile.png

So last night I ended up in the ER. I was in the arena and he seen another horse and rider down below the arena and all heck broke loose. He took off on me started crowhopping and bucking and I came off hard. He had never done that before. I landed hard on my back, hit my head on the ground breaking the helmet and sat there for a minute. I was very dizzy, nausueos, and felt like I was going to pass out and I could not breathe...I guess I had the wind knocked out of me. 2 weeks before I had been in the ER for a really bad back spasm when I bent over to grab my purse. I have thinning disks, and often get sciatica. In 43 years those 2 times were the first time ever in an ER. They had to give me percoset because I could not even lay down in the bed. Turned out I sprained my back, have Sacrolitis and a moderate concussion. Today I feel like I was hit by a mack truck.

When my husband picked me up I started bawling like a baby and told him I am done! I tried to overcome my timidness and fears for 3 years and i just can't. I think some people can ride and others just can't. If I had been more confident and experienced I might have stayed on or knew how to handle him. But it was such a terrifying experience I cringe everytime I think of it.

I think all along I knew this was coming. I love horses. I loved horses coming out of the womb
default_smile.png
and I can not see living life without them. The last 6 months I have had miniature horses in the back of my mind. I always wanted to show my Walker but he was a pacer and that is unexceptable in the TWH show world. And now I plan to sell my Walker because it's not fair to just make him a pasture pet. He has got too much potential and I am done with riding. Even my 14 year old daughter asked if getting an older shorter horse but I don't think I want to ride but I want horses in my life. I have never been comfortable in the saddle.

So this is why I ask you all about your choices. I know absolutely nothing about them. I seen some gorgeous mini's at the Equine affair. I have seen many body types and colors. I love the mini's that look like this:

8bbe64c7.jpg

Then there are these which are smaller:

peaches.jpg

What are the differences? Which can be shown in shows? Are there several types? Rules about size etc? Are some better as pasture pets than showhorses? What do you look for in confirmation. babies all look the same, how do you know what they will grow into?

I want to do my research and find out as much as I can about the breed. About showing. Are there books out there that someone could recommend? There are some breeders in my area and I thought it would be nice to go and talk to some of them. I know they eat less. lol. I know this website has a lot of great info.

and I wanted to know why everyone here has them? What advice would you give to someone like me who is interested in the breed and possibly showing?

Thanks...I know that was a long post for my first one.

I am 48 years old and have been in and out of big horses since I was 20. I basically learned to ride from just getting on and going, no lessons no nothing! I have never fallen off or been seriously hurt though having not been riding for quite a while now my confidence is shot!! I did take a couple of trail rides last summer and that helped a little but as for being able to jump on and go--NO WAY!!! I have a 7 year old green broke Arab gelding that I want DESPERATELY to train and ride but I just can't seem to do it...anyways, I have a friend that has been into horses-both big and minis- for a very long time and she was the one that got me hooked on minis!
default_aktion033.gif
The very first mini foal she had, she sent me an email with its pic and I fell in LOVE!!!
default_wub.png
:wub That was about 4 years ago and I swore I would have one of my own someday!!!! well, now I have 3!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I'm hooked for life and loving every minute of it!!!
default_biggrin.png

Am sorry you have been hurt riding a big horse. Can be very hard to over come ones fear. If you still want to ride you might look into and well trained Fjord or Icelandic horse. They are much shorter to the ground and if you get an older(10 to 20 years old) been there done that horse, you might be suprised that you will love riding again.

I am riding again,, taking it very, very slow and will only ride my grey Icelandic at this time.

As for the Mini parts.....

I bought Maggie,,,wayyyyy back when because I had always wanted a mini and my neighbor told me about this really nice mare....and I bought Maggie on sight!

As for type.. Maggie is more of an inbetween... not quite like the old types and not quite like the ones being shown now...which is fine with me because I drive on trails.

If you want to get mini's, they have the same issues big horses have and temperaments. If you want to get a mini to drive...finding a one that is well trained and steady in temperament will make it more pleasureable for you in the long run.

Have fun mini shopping.

I had riding horses for years and thought minis were "cute... but what would I do with one?" Then I drove a mini and found they tack up so fast and are just so much fun. I liked driving the mini more than driving my big horse. So, once I found an activity I knew I'd like to do with a mini, I got one. I still thought I wouldn't like minis s much as big horses, however, it's been 10 years and now I have one big horse and about twenty minis... I love them as pets, to show, to drive, to breed... It turns out I enjoy miniatures more than full size horses
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back