What brand do you feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What commercial brand of feed to you feed?

• Purina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nutrena

• Progressive Nutrition

• Blue Seal

• Triple Crown

• Farnam's Platform

• LMF

• Manna Pro

• Buckeye

• Local Mix

• Other

• Mix own feed from straight grains, hay pellets and beet pulp, etc

• Don't fit any category - please explain

• Total voters

chandab

Reaction score
Just curious what brands of feed are fed.

I feed primarily Progressive Nutrition, but also feed Woody's senior (found it before I discovered PN, and I like it).

I think I covered everything. Thanks.

I feed Platform Mini to my Mini's and Lakeland Nutrition (Pellets) to my Full Size Horses.......
default_yes.gif
:

I feed Tizwhiz Broodmare for all my minis, not too add anything more but hay and water.

Must go by their weight, & build.

Worry Free for my,

Stallion,

Gelding,

Mares,

& foals :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: All on the same feed

Check it out. Distributor recommended this.

http://www.tizwhizfeeds.com/products/broodmare.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Show horses get:

Buckeye Growth as their base, then add Buckeye Grow N Win, Ultimate Finish 40, flaxseeds and beet pulp as needed.

Broodmares get:

Buckeye Growth and beet pulp.

Everybody else (including big horses) gets 12% sweet feed, whole oats and beet pulp.

Eveybody gets grass mix hay and treats (Nicker Makers, Stud Muffins, Nature Valley Granola (oats and honey), carrots and apples. They don't get treats every day...well, I try to be disciplined!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I feed Tizwhiz Broodmare for all my minis, not too add anything more but hay and water.

Must go by their weight, & build.

Worry Free for my,

Stallion,

Gelding,

Mares,

& foals :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: All on the same feed

Check it out. Distributor recommended this.

http://www.tizwhizfeeds.com/products/broodmare.shtml

I have like 12 categories and I still managed to miss one. :lol: I've heard of TizWhiz, but can't get it here.

I feed Buckeye Gro N Win w/ Oats mixed to my show string and my weanling. The ones i dont show get Platform mini/pony and oats mixed as well.

I use steamed rolled oats btw.

I just switched over to LMF and LOVE the results. It is formulated for my area and has everything that I was having to supplement my other grain with already in it. It is also formulated for grass or alfalfa hay which I liked. I was feeding Purina until I found out that their hay was alfalfa that they used in all their feeds. Well my warmblood can't have that and my mini's shouldn't have much so I switched. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

outlaw

I use Agway Superior Feeds. Our Agway get their grains on a regular basis so I always know it is fresh. Looks like I am the only one on that uses it or maybe it is only available in my area ??
default_wacko.png
:

Agway Feeds

I just switched over to Hirsch 12% pellets. Not sure if I will stay with it or not at this time, we'll have to wait and see. I will be adding beet pulp and flax seed, and biotin along with it, but haven't yet. We give apples occassionally, and our pockets get raided for the "Horse Treat" brand apple and oats biscuit by Nutri Source, (it smeels sooo good!)

~Karen

Just oats and vita-plus vitamin mineral supplement with boss, flax seed (sometimes beet pulp.)

Well, we're kind of odd....

Sunny gets Platform. (working gelding)

The foals/youngstock get a mix of complete pellets, Equine Jr, beet pulp and sunflower seeds.

The stallions get Purina Horsemans Edge complete pellets. Broodmares in their last two months get this, too.

Broodmares, open mares just get hay, no concentrates.

Working geldings get pellets.

Lucy

I've used Blue Seal and Agway. Currently I'm using Agway's Performance feeds.

Tammie

All horses here get alfalfa hay in the morning

at night

some get Nutrena Lite balance

others get

Nutrena Life Design youth

all get soaked beet pulp

All of our minis get Purina Strategy and my very old QH's get Purina Senior mixed 50/50 with Mana Pro's Sweet 10. My older mare will not eat straight pellets so the sweet feed is for enticement.

Chanda, Leave it to me to make a mistake on your poll! haha

I marked Manna Pro, since I use their calf manna as a ration balancer. But then I also checked "other" not realizing that made the Manna pro vote go away!

So anyway, I feed Calf Manna by Manna Pro, and IFA beet pulp pellets soaked, and Horse guard, plus grass hay.... mostly wild timothy.

Susan O.

Chanda, Leave it to me to make a mistake on your poll! haha

I marked Manna Pro, since I use their calf manna as a ration balancer. But then I also checked "other" not realizing that made the Manna pro vote go away!

So anyway, I feed Calf Manna by Manna Pro, and IFA beet pulp pellets soaked, and Horse guard, plus grass hay.... mostly wild timothy.

Susan O.
Susan,

I wanted a poll that would allow more than one answer, but that's not available.
default_sad.png
So, I did the best I could.

I wish I had some of the choices that others have.

I'm glad I can get Progressive Nutrition products and I love them, but...

It would be nice to be able to get some of the basics local: alfalfa pellets, grass hay pellets, clean beet pulp, clean plain grain (I'd like to get some rolled oats and barley, but not from the local mill) and easier access to baled grass hay (I'm surrounded by alfalfa round bales, but it's about impossible to find grass of any size or type).

I used ADM Patriot feeds for a long time but have recently switched most of my ponies over to Land-O-Lake's "Merit" brand. My picky Sr. stallion who didn't like Purina loves the Merit Senior feed. I'm still feeding ADM/Moorman's MoorGlo fat supplement to the Sr. stallion as a top dressing. He's a stall walker and needs the extra fat to keep him in condition.

We feed a local mix that is very similar to Omolene 200, and then one yearling and the two year old that almost died are getting Omolene 200 and alfalfa pellets. All get hay, the yearlings and the two year old get alfalfa and the rest are on a very high quality orchard grass hay.

We did try Platform, but it doubled our feed bill :new_shocked:

Most of our horses are getting fed the new Platform Mini/Pony feed. Doing very well on it. However, I will never stay away from Purina and in fact feeding Omelene 200 now to my yearling filly. Would never think about mixing any two feeds from different brands.

Latest posts

Back