What bloodlines are in?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Was wondering what is your guys opinions, what bloodlines are in, hot right now?

I know conformation is #1, but what lines are proving it currently?

Just for fun...
default_smile.png

McCarthy's Jesse James of Rivenburgh

Oak Bay Salsamio

-Those are my two favorite lines for the unders right now. I will probably think of more later, but I love the proportions these two stallions are producing. Really beautiful.

in europe

Oak Bay Salsamio is the new big thing ,billy idol lines are always popular as is top banana bloodlines and the champion farms nighthawk mares are also very

I dont have any of those bloodlines myself but Ive noticed that theyre very popular , I have several different bloodlines , I buy because I like the horse itself , a good pedigree is a bonus though

Last edited by a moderator:
We are pretty pleased with our own stallions and what they are producing but as for bloodlines we look for when buying it would have to be Alvadars Double Destiny, Gold Melody Boy, Rowdy, and L & D Scout as some of our favorites, there are others we love too but too many to list.

I dont base anything on bloodlines either- I go by movement, disposition and conformation........ any well known bloodlines are a plus.

I buy the horse because I like what I see, bloodlines are a bonus.

Personally, we like the Grahams horses a lot. His horses are really starting to kick butt and take numbers!

I know we dont always buy because of lines, just was wondering what produces really well and whats winning in todays market. Not asking what lines you own or buying...

I dont buy on lines either, but since all I own are a few older lines (mostly King Supreme) and not current on todays current lines, shetland or mini, just was wondering what ya all thought was doing well out there.

I watch nationals on the web and seen some repeate farm names, but that only says the name of the horse (if ya can hear it clearly). I notice King Lees name a lot and like some of his offspring as well as some Erica's horses... just looking at them and enjoying looking at something different. Im a horse lurker on my spare time and love looking at as many websites as I can.

Since I'm new to all things mini and am interested in eventually showing at the breed level (AMHA) are there lines that produce more ammy friendly dispositions as holds true for certain lineages in large horse breeds? I know there are variations in temperament and each horse is an individual but many full size horse breeds have certain lineages bred for specific purposes and I'd be interested if the same holds true for miniatures? Are some more suited for driving, halter, performance in hand, etc?

You can PM me so we don't hijack the thread of the original poster, thanks!

You know it is always the conformation of the horse that draws me to a certain animal. But I will say when buying breeding stock, I do look at bloodlines in order to try and remember what we have seen cross with other lines we may have that work well together. Over the years we have seen really beautiful horses that when bred together did nothing, but others with certain bloodlines no matter the looks produce exceptional babies.
default_yes.gif

We have one ugly mare that has produced 6 babies in her lifetime. 5 national champions some of them multiple national champions and the 6th one will be going out this year.
default_frusty.gif

For us any of the Rhapsody horses, Rio De Oro and Double Destiny have done well for us in the show and breeding pen.
default_thumbup.gif

Hope that helps,

Although, there are many others on this forum, much more well versed than I on this topic –our experience is that sometimes it helps to go back a generation or two to find the determinant bloodline that contributes to the factors you are looking to produce – For example King Lee’s sire and dam both are Red Rock bred horses- line bred Winks Showdeo Kid via Kid Lee. Someone else mentioned Oak Bay Salsamio, a heavy Arenosa bred amha/amhr stallion - whose sire was Bristol Pepito, aspc/amhr/amha and Pepito’s sire was Kewpies Paposo of Arenosa. Pepito is linebred top and bottom Kewpies Monterry of Arenosa (sire and dam were both by Monterry) – Monterry who some Arenosa breeding experts consider one of Audrey Barrett’s best stallions – Interesting that Monterry happens to show up three times in Salsamio’s pedigree (twice for the sire and once in the dam) . Actually Ragtime is also Line bred Winks Showdeo Kid.

Often when you find a stallion or mare – aka King Lee or Salsamio who tends to “stamp” a look, one may find that stallion or mare could be line bred to a common outstanding ancestor….

Hope this is of help.

Since I'm new to all things mini and am interested in eventually showing at the breed level (AMHA) are there lines that produce more ammy friendly dispositions as holds true for certain lineages in large horse breeds? I know there are variations in temperament and each horse is an individual but many full size horse breeds have certain lineages bred for specific purposes and I'd be interested if the same holds true for miniatures? Are some more suited for driving, halter, performance in hand, etc?

You can PM me so we don't hijack the thread of the original poster, thanks!
Not a hyjack at all. Im curious too!
default_smile.png

Keep naming more... I have been looking at the names and am really impressed with them. I like looking and seeing whats out there. I may not be able to ever go buy any, but it helps to see whats cleaning up the ring currently.

Around here locally, D&S Peeping Tom and Spooktackular lines seem to be very popular in the ring, and are at a lot of Michigan farms.

Unlike Jenny I love the Rock E. Bred horses Can not count how many I have shown to National Grand Championships in both AMHR and at Congress also can not count how many I have shown that have been PONY OR HORSE OF THE YEAR. 4 2012 Horse or Pony of the year have the Rock E breeding behind them. Also Erica' s breeding is a combination of Rock E ,Red Boy , and Buckeroo !

So I say give me a Rock E bred horse any day. ,,
default_smile.png
))

I agree wtih Belinda - it's the crosses that make the best blends. Buckeroo, obviously, crosses well with a lot of lines. Scout, Patton, the building blocks of the miniature horse green. Some of the newer lines are the pony blends. Rock E, Grahams,J & S, etc. In my opinion, the new shetland blends are a little hotter than the Original miniatures. That is NOT to say there's anything wrong with the blends - I have 2 in my barn and I swore up and down I'd never have one LOL!! But I like their finer lines, and many of them have a little more action that the original miniatures.

A lot of times it's more in the "farm" than the individual bloodlines. Erica is a prime example. She raises what she shows, but has several bloodlines in her barn. Belinda too. Outstanding examples being presented in the rings and winning.

Of course I'm kind of partial to the Lightning Bolt line!!!

Double post

Latest posts

Back