What are your "must haves" for first aid?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of getting a barn first aid kit together and I know of some things that should be in it, like banamine, but I'd like to get a comprehensive list together to start accumulating. Can everyone post what is in your kit and where you get it if it? Like banamine...I know I should have it, but where do you buy it from? I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks a bunch!
default_biggrin.png

These are the things in my vet box and foaling kit:

• Banamine paste and injectible
  • SMZ's
  • Tribressen Paste
  • Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment
  • Probiotic Paste
  • Vitamin B Paste
  • Buffered People Aspirin (Buffrin) and Horse Buffered Aspirin Paste
  • Flavored Vitamin C Tablets
  • Nolvasan Scrub
  • Betadine
  • Fura Septin (sp) Salve
  • Lyme Dip (for rain rot)
  • Peroxide
  • Gator Ade / Power Ade [SIZE=8pt](not in the kit but always on hand)[/SIZE]
  • Big Dosing Syringe
  • Injection Syringes
  • Vet Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Stethescope
  • Surgical Scissors
  • Digital Thermometers
  • Baby enemas
  • Clean towels
  • Fleece foal blankets
  • Lubricant
  • Twine
  • Ivermectin
  • Some syringes of Rompum
  • Book -- Miniature Horses: A Vetrinary Guide for Owners and Breeders

I've gotten the Rx types of items directly from my vet.

WOW Jill..that is an awesome list. Thanks so much!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Can you buy any of the medications online or only through the vet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-stick telfa pads, and heavy bandages are great to have lots of, and for these, I have found feminine hygene products that work just as well, and are sooo much cheaper.
default_smile.png

Jen,

Some of the things you have to get through a vet, or order online with a prescription from the vet.

Of my list, I think you'd need the vet to get:

Banamine, SMZ's, Tribressen Paste, and Rumpum

Good luck,

Jill

Reminds me....one thing that we have hanging in every building on our place is something like a bolt cutter, great to cut cattle panels etc with in an emergency, great leverage, so easy to use a 5 year old could cut a cattle panel with it with ease.

Very handy and have had to use it once. Glad it was there.

My list/supplies on hand is pretty close to Jill's, the only thing I would add is pepto and biosponge.

Carolyn

Since my last show, I now keep saline and visine one my list. If you catch the eye right away, you can rinse with saline a couple times a day and follow with visine and get out what may be causing the problem before it needs antibiotic ointment. this information came from a vet and we went right to the store and solved the problem by morning. Lucky for us cause he had to show the next day.

Saline solution is also good for rinsing out a wound.

We have a generic first aid kit for the trailer but keep different 'kits' here for the - gawd I hate to say it but normal stuff!

We have -

bandaging kit - assorted bandages, tape, vet wrap, betadine, antibiotic ointment, saline, fly spray & swat, empy syringes, bandage cutter, thermometer

eye kit - saline, antibiotic eye ointment, syringes, acid water (alternative vet product), baby wipes, fly spray

colic kit - pepto, mineral oil, syringes, empty child size enemas, gatoraid type product, (for foals pedialyte), senna, nex vomica, simethicone drops (infant gas drops),

buscopan and banamine (both types), thermometer, probiotic paste/powder

general - flashlight, miner's head light, box cutter, rubber gloves, garabage bags, baby wipes, betadine wipes, nolvason and a container to mix it to 10% strength,

tubs of vaseline from the dollar store (one horse/use per tub its to cheap to use contamined product).

We also have a foaling kit and my 'bucket' for farrier visits (dewormer, extra syringers, ziplock bags/markers for mane hair pulls, scissors, pen/paper for notes, saline and baby wipes for cleaning eyes/noses, antibiotic eye ointment, treats (baby carrots), bottled water

Buckt with lid - assorted clean rags, towels and a sheet.

I know there are other things but that's off the top of my head (lol), I just this year made up the individual kits into clear plastic kits with lids so they can be easily identified and carried.

On the rare occasion we have multiple 'patients' we make up individual kits for each based on what is going on. The worst time - 2 different leg injuries requiring daily bandage changes and meds, a colicy horse, and an eye injury. Felt like a vet hospital!!!!

Dollar stores are great for many products as is Walmart or other super store. Some human stuff is cheaper than the equine version so check. We found that out with the leg injuries that non stick pads and tape were cheaper at Walmart than any vet supply and easier to get! Same goes for pepto off brands, vaseline, zinc oxide, etc. I buy a few pepto/vaseline every year at $1.00 each and if I toss them it's still cheaper than not. I've seen people buy the gallon of bismuth subsilicate (sp?) pepto generic and it sits for years - ugh! How good can that be?

911 paste and baking soda for colic issues

In addition to the great list that Jill provided.................

Last edited by a moderator:
Scarlet Oil wound dressing. It's a spray and works great and will definitely keep flies off the wound.

Latest posts

Back