What are your favorite summer meals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
With summer officially here, I am looking to make some good summer meals. Thought you all might post your favorites to share.

My favorite summer meal is grilled burgers with sauted onions, peppers and mushrooms on kaiser rolls.... potato salad or cole slaw... sliced cucumbers and onions in a creamy mayo sauce.... slices of cold watermelon.... green beans with sauted onion and bacon.... and ice cold lemonade!

Mmm..good thread! I would have to say my fave summer meal is:

Steak (marinated in chipotle pepper, garlic and olive oil) grilled to a delicios med. rare, served with tinfoil packets of potato, onion and green pepper and a cucumber and tomato salad with balsamic and olive oil drizzle.

OR,

grilled chicken w/BBQ sauce, potato salad and corn on the cob. MMMM, now I am hungry!

Alicia

Last edited by a moderator:
After being out in the barn all day in the hot steaming heat i think cold chicken salad taists good or turkey salad!!

Musmellon (sp?) has to be my all time faverite snack though. Chicken salad and musmellon *drool* :bgrin

Ohhh maan... I'm on a fast right now, and you all would have to pull this one on me, lol. Seriously, I guess I could have passed up the post, but I just love summer foods!

My ultimate summer meal would be this: BBQ grilled chicken (could be substituted with fried catfish), home made mayo cole slaw (without the celery or celery seeds), fresh garden salad with the works, fresh fruit salad (watermelon, cantaloup, honeydew melon, bananas, strawberries, peaches, apples, and of course not to forget the coolwhip... I could eat coolwhip all by itself! grilled videlia onions, grilled baked potatoe with the works, Ohhhh yeaaahhh!
default_yes.gif
:

Anything I can do on the barbecue! Steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chicken kabobs, pork chops, pork steaks ...

For veggies, I like to shishkabob them and grill them alongside the meat. Always yummy, and I just use whatever I have on hand.

Growing up spending time on several of my aunt's farms and having fresh garden veggies. Here is my best summer time meal that I could eat 2 or 3 times a week.

Fried Country Potatoes, fried Okra, Fresh Purple Hull Peas cooked with a ham hock or two, and Tomatoes. For desert--fresh melon--watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew and can always add strawberries or fresh cherries--I would be a happy, healthy little piggy :aktion033: :aktion033: come on July and bring on the peas and vine rippened maters. :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Steak and salad for sure! I didn't eat any red meat for years; now I'm all over it (only a couple of times a week though
default_wink.png
: ).

I like cold spaghetti salad w/ green peppers, purple onion, tomato, etc. I also love cantaloupe w/ lots of salt. I love tomato sandwiches, too. Oh, and my dad's bbq chicken! Oh and fresh corn on the cob especially if Harvey cuts it off the cob for me (I'm one spoiled lady! and with a good appetite...).

Also, I haven't had this in years and really watch my sugar these days, but there is an ice-cream place in Fredericksburg, VA called "Carls" and they have some of the best ice-cream on the east coast. It's just chocolate or vanilla but it's soooooo good. It was on a PBS show a couple years ago. I have been contemplating getting some of that for a couple weeks now... it's a rinky dink looking place w/ a line of people wrapped around it nearly anytime it's open.

This is the time of year of BBQ EVERYTHING! And I make lots of Chef Salads as main meals too -- different kinds of lettuce, green onion, tomatoes, cukes, pickles, olives, Deviled Eggs.........and chunks of left over chicken, or ham. MMMMMMMMM.........

MA

Oh man...The pregnant lady has to chirp in on this one...LOL...

BBQ Chicken, Cold chicken salad, cold pickles, popsicles, homemade butter pecan ice cream, cheese like the lil cubes, Steak, green salads, and oh yes my grandmothers fried okra and squash. She makes the best.

Good Lord now im starving..i knew this was going to happen...LOL

Okay my favorite summer meal........GREEN FRIED TOMATOES!

With a few green fried tomatoes on the side and for my main meal a few fried green tomatoes and for dessert you guessed it!!!!!

default_wacko.png
:

Bonnie

Mmmm, Bonnie.........I LOVE fried green tomatoes! I usually make them but got some the other day at a resteraunt in Andover. They were so good....and I didn't have to do any of the work!
default_yes.gif
:

Alicia

I haven't made these for a while, but they were a couple of Dave and my favorites.

We make home made bbq sauce here, and it's more on the sweet side vs. spicey so it goes good with this. I make a fresh whole wheat pizza crust, spread some bbq sauce on it, motz cheese, a little onion, and some grilled cubed chicken. Dave will sometimes add a little pineapple chunk too.

The other one that we like, because it is very light, is a veggie pizza. I take two of the faquita wrap shells, put one down, spray a little olive oil on it, spread some fresh minced garlic, add some fresh motz cheese, and some baby spinach. Lay the second shell down, a little olive oil, and then layer with more fresh motz cheese, baby spinach, fresh Portobella shrooms, onion, and sliced cherry tomatoes.

You guys are much better cooks than me but I'll take anything on the grill, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, steaks......

I love melons......any kind of melons........honeydew, watermelon, cantelopes.....yum!

And jello.......love jello in the summertime

I make a pretty good potatoe salad and macaroni salad

And ice cream.......I love creamsicles and banana popcicles!

Then there is this drink I make in the blender.

It's a "virgins" version because I minus the liquor

It's supposed to have a dose of Galliano liquor but I leave it out...no alcohol here

I put vanilla ice cream in a blender with orange juice......it's really good

Then here is a "cool" recipe that's different for deserts:

Make up some white rice and chill

Add a can of fruit cocktail strained

and some tiny marshmellows

mix together with cool whip and chill

Looks pretty and is very sweet

Anything on the BBQ works for me. But lately I have been dieting and I found my new favorites are

grilled Portobella Mushrooms and zucchini squash. I still dream of steak, but the portobella mushroom are very close for me.

By the way great topic. :aktion033:

Wow you guys are pretty good.

We don't "cook" alot during the summer here it is to hot - we don't have air conditioning so it is as hot inside as it is outside (sometimes hotter) so we just eat alot of sandwiches and fruit of course with ice cream at night!
default_yes.gif
:

Steak and potatoes done this way.

Bake my potatoe first in microwave and fry up some onions

Cut potatoes up and add fried onions with margarine

/ put in foil and on the barbacue to get that nice taste.

When you top the steak with your special sauce

Add Cheeze whiz to the potatoes.

Fast and for sure cooked........

Mmm making me hungry:

I'm another for steak on the bbq, grilled just perfectly with veggies and potatoes and corn on the cob also done on the bbq. Or grilled chicken, I mix my own bbq sauce and love that too (again with grilled veggies).

I make a lot of fruit smoothies in the summer, always good for a meal.

Then brownies, squares, homemade icecream, cookies, icecream with cookies in it...I make a lot of desserts lol.

I am still thinking about the meal part but the kids and I love Kool-Aid slushies. Kool-Aid and ice in the blender wiht a bit of sugar added and puree. Nummy!

also, watermelon punch. It is a Mexican drink that is oh so good!!! All natural too. I love that.

Latest posts

Back