What Are Your Favorite Breeds of Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheltie by FAR.

I have only had a shetland sheepdog, a husky, and a beagle before and I am 100% sure my favorites are shelties. I also groom dogs in my animal science class so I am exposed to many breeds every day. Shelties are sweet, quiet, protective, loyal, loving, obedient, and smart. The ones I have been around have never run off, always come when called, and learn very quickly.

This is my girl, Kasey. She is around 10 years old and I had her since she was a pup.

7d70de17.jpg

cdda6493.jpg

5295ce39.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Img_0403.jpg

Img_0710.jpg

KiriSam006.jpg

KiriSam005.jpg

KiriSam004.jpg

Kiri, Kitty and Kassy proving that dogs can fly.

KiriSam001.jpg

Sam ( telling the photographer he could eat her if he wanted!!) Kitty ,Tessa (Sheltie) and Evil

Personified otherwise known as Moppet, my Tibetan Spaniel.

I had to give her to a friend as she kept attacking Kitty (No, REALLY!!)

Just in case you got the idea that the Dobes I have now are unsound!!

I was quite lucky with these.

Large breed is the Labradors. These two in the pics belong to my husband, although we have both had several of them.

As far as small breeds, i've only had two different ones. One was the Pugs, which I still have a 16yr. old fawn. Lost the black one last year also 16 yrs. old. I also currently have two adorable MinPins. They have become our kids, since our boys are grown. They are also just so entertaining, I can't imagine not having them.

Here's my pics.

jessee%20katee.jpg
minpins%20(2).jpg

How funny that we both own black labs and minpins (I have one of each). I love my spoiled rotten minpin!!
default_wub.png
:

Lauralee --

It definitely s a "dog by dog" kind of thing because my parents had an OES (Old English Sheedpog), Oliver. They and I have had lots of dogs, some very smart and some not so smart, but Ollie was the smartest dog I have ever known. He was a once in a lifetime kind of animal and so smart it was almost spooky sometimes (like he could read your mind).

NOW, my shih-tzu's, the ones I have won't win any IQ challanges. Winston is the smartest and can manipulate H and I very well, but Willow is really pretty dumb (but sweet). I will not say what we call her at home as it's not at all politically correct. But, we love her so much despite her being not too bright
default_smile.png

Jill

My favorite is the Welsh Pembroke Corgi. Before I got Copper, I didn't much care for the Corgis and thought they were goofy looking. But when I was at Nationals and saw Copper, he was 9 weeks old and just the cutest puppy, I had to have him.

Copper is just the smartest dog and not just in my opinion. Several people who have meet Copper have also commented on his abilities, it's almost as if you can see him thinking.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the brat.

Ncopper2.jpg

copperbed.jpg

I came home from work and found him sleeping on my bed. So I hurried up and grabbed my camera.

tc5.jpg

Taffy & Copper, these two played constantly.

When I graduate next year I can't wait to get one or two more Corgis! :aktion033:

Pugs, I've always loved there cute face...also there sweet and loveable.

Border Collies, I always wanted one...seem like a sweet and very smart dog.

For big dogs.... no doubt about it... [SIZE=10pt]BORZOI![/SIZE]

I see on previous pages that some have said they thought this breed or that breed was dumber than a bag of hammers... I do not think that is fair - as any breed is comprised of individuals...

I was told that Folli - my borzey girl - would never do obedience or agility or flyball.... well, she did - and she loved it - and was the hit of many agility trials! She often had time faults - due to excessive zoomie miles between obstacles at times and jumping too high out of sheer delight :lol: - but she took such great joy in it that people loved to watch her on course....

One well know trainer pulled Folli & I aside after we exited the ring at a trial... Folli all grins and happiness - and me still laughing over her antics - and solemnly told her eager students/clients with border collies and Aussies straining at their leashes that Folli and I were what agility was supposed to be about... I have never forgotten how good that made me feel... it is not all about winning... but the fun to be had...

Oh yeah - here is the dog that was too dumb to do agility...
default_yes.gif
:

NBJBO-img002.jpg

RSMXD-img004.jpg

And for small dogs - ever since I worked on a hunter/jumper/dressage farm that bred them - [SIZE=10pt]Smooth Fox Terriers!![/SIZE]

Tagalong (Tag) was my first... and she brought up Folli....

ULDSQ-img006.jpg

XYWMK-Scans0001.jpg

And then Folli was left to bring up Fig... (born on Christmas Day - her registered name is Sunrise Figgy Pudding)

EJLRG-img001.jpg

QSWQM-Scans0002.jpg

When I lost Folli.... a strange thing happened - all the planets went out of whack and this little guy came into our lives.... his nose is not long!

Tug as a puppy....

JGOZJ-018_15A.JPG

He grew up to be a Border Terrier (go figure - that was what he started out as!) - not a Borzoi or a Smooth Fox - but we love him anyway...

BBLLN-IMGP0039.JPG

And Fig and Tug both enjoy agility - but especially - [SIZE=10pt]FLYBALL!![/SIZE]

TGUQE-figturn.jpg

DJSWP-tugFD.jpg

CZNOG-IMGP0168.JPG

So - have I bored you all yet?

I am partial to sighthounds and terriers - that much seems clear....
default_wub.png
:

German Shepherds! They are so dedicated and loyal. Then, a close 2nd are pit bulls. Daisy May and Boogie are my constant house dog companions. Despite their breed's bad rep, my two are the kindest, most loving dogs you will ever meet and neither has ever met a stranger. I have been told by many that Boogie eyes are so calm and peaceful.

UKC CH Heidi

Heidi_small.jpg

Ilse

Ilse_02%2017%2006_small.jpg

Max

max_aug1.jpg

Gretel

gretel_adult_1.jpg

Anke

anke2_aug1.jpg

Daisy May

daisy_snow.jpg

Boogie

bo_sticking%20out%20tongue.jpg

Jean

LOL Oops Mona I sure did forget Stanley and likely some others as well!

Stanley is making his family very happy as their housedog and lap buddy now. He just never could quit snapping at the foals. And I don't have the time patience or inclination to deal with a dog once that starts.

I agree Jill...It is about the individual, HOWEVER it can be said that each breed has its broad tendencies....towards one type of personality or another. Otherwise, there would be no distinct difference of behavior/personality between breeds! Training is one thing, but why go against the basic grain of the animal? I'd rather start with a breed that generally has the personality I want. And go from there.....

I do like the bunch I have now. And as long as they continue to get along and work for our farm, they can stay!

I agree Jill...It is about the individual, HOWEVER it can be said that each breed has its broad tendencies....towards one type of personality or another. Otherwise, there would be no distinct difference of behavior/personality between breeds! Training is one thing, but why go against the basic grain of the animal? I'd rather start with a breed that generally has the personality I want. And go from there.....

But it still comes down to individuals... and false labels. As pit bull fans can attest to.

If I had listened to the "facts" on Borzois... that they are aloof... can never be trusted off leash... not demonstrative... leary of strangers... unable to do anything except lure-coursing.... then Folli would never have done what she excelled at... certified Therapy Dog along with all her agility and flyball fun...

I took Folli to a lure-coursing clinic. At 32" she was tall for a bitch - and looked like speed standing still. She was interested when she saw the other dogs running - and eager to catch what they were after... until - WHAT? - she realized it was a plastic bag. HUH? A dog who was used to running down coyotes and knocking them over (at our former farm) saw no point in chasing some dumb bag... so when released at the start line she simply sat down. Let those other fools chase some dumb bag...

So much for lure coursing!

Back to the off-leash area - and splash in the river and race in circles and always - always - come flying when called....

Tag the fox terrier was not actually a terrier, I think :lol: ... more of a Lab or a Golden in a terrier skin. When my friends were practicing for field trials with their Goldens, Tag would fuss and fret in the truck - so we thought we would start her on the retriever training for fun - as she loved to swim and retrieve anything. Well - she could have done a trial... she would "honour"... "mark" the bird(s)... send to brush or water... and she had a soft mouth to boot. A couple of the Goldens would not touch actual ducks - Tag thought they were just slightly oily (and heavy) toys...

She also herded the minis - circling and gathering like a Border Collie... she knew Away to me! and Come By! and That'll do!

I miss her...
default_sad.png

Fig, on the other hand, thinks water sucks and is best avoided - unless it comes out of a bucket or a hose! Retrieving anything other than toys/balls is patently ridiculous... and the bestest fun you can have is mousing/moling in the loft/flower beds... she is also conveniently deaf when she needs to be - and has a distinct stubborn streak that Tag never had...

Yes - breeds have basic characteristics... but within those parameters the individuals can cover a wide spectrum of personalities and aptitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite breed of dog is the miniature schnauzer because of their human like qualities and their non-shedding. They are wonderful with kids and are wonderful with other animals, dogs, cats, etc.

My other favorite breed is the golden retriever because of their intelligence, they are so very easy to train and just want to please. Wonderful family dog. They also are wonderful with kids and other animals.

O.K.- I need a mansion if i had all the breeds I wanted :lol: We have an English Mastiff right now( wouldn't trade him for anything Best van buddy and takes all the hugs you can give)- But do love St.Bernards had one when I was little- I would like to own a Great Dane some time in my life- Have had Springer Spaniel(my husband would love another
default_yes.gif
: ) - but my best best dog friend was a border collie mix from the pound- I would have 10 more of him :bgrin

Here is Storm at 18 months

HPIM0419.jpg

My favorite breed of dog is the Shih Tzu! I love their sweet, sweet personalities, their playfulness, happy go lucky natures and faithfulness. The no shed hair! Yes, they are alot of work to keep in coat because we show and I have one that is going to be a great agility dog too! We also have 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi who are also fantastic boys (neutered) very intelligent, great around both our big and small horses - great herding dogs for anything!

our show dogs live right inside with us as well as Jake and Cody, the corgis (actually my son's dogs)

Ths is our newest little girl "Seminole Spirits Bewitched" or Samantha at 6 weeks old =Sami for short She is 4 months now and just a doll - She is just a love bug!

Selina2.jpg

Sami's Sire Ch Seminole Ragin Spirits aka Rage - she is going to look just like him!

BOB1-05ChRage2.jpg

Here is Chaser - just shy of his Championship - he has alot more gold than this pic shows

ChaserBestofBred3.jpg

MajorWinChaser3.jpg

Chaser as a 5 month old puppy

FRONT.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of Fiona, my black and white shih tzu or our corgis downloaded in this computer

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite breed of is a half Jack Russel/half toy terrier mix, we raise them and they turn out to be such great dogs! Very loyal, loving, and fun!

Here is my dog Tucker as a lil' pup~

LilTucker.jpg

Annaspics-3.jpg

IM000329.jpg

TuckerwithpuppyandhaircutsbySebasti.jpg

AnnaandTucker.jpg

Horsesanddogs003.jpg

Tucker.jpg

Tucker watching over different breeds that we raise~

Puppies1002.jpg

Tucker and his lil' brothers (same parents but from a diff. litter)~

horsesanddoggies038.jpg

And other pups that we have raised (same breed)~

CD2124.jpg

Rosiesmales002.jpg

minispuppiesnovember2006018.jpg

German Shepherds are my favorite big dog ( I have four)

My little Yorkie is my favorite small dog I have one 6 mos. old. She is adorable and she is totally housebroke. Thats a first most yorkies I know are very hard to housebreak but she is smart and was easy. Paper broke her first.

I have raised and shown, lhasa Apsos, afgans, frenchies, chins bouviers and jack russells but my favorites have been the Mini Dachshunds. They have so much personality and the long coats have the controlled enthusiasm that the smooths cant seem to get a handle on but I love them anyway! lol My best friend ever is Esther who is a lab/golden cross from the guide dog school. She is currently an unemployed couch potato but she is and always will be my soul mate.

ebb38dc2.jpg
ebb38db5.jpg
These two are Daphne, the black and tan who is expecting puppies from dapple champion Danny, and the red is Champion Ad-Sims Victoria, mother of my little Heir to the Throne aka Harry.

ebb38d1e.jpg

ebb38d81.jpg

YNot Queen of the Hunt aka Hunter decided showing was not for her so she will be bred in spring. She is my velcro dog.

ebb38d9a.jpg

We have doxies in spots too here. Babs is a piebald and Candy a dapple.

edeb2447.jpg
ed6b8c68.jpg

f6238ab3.jpg

Esther and her sister Sarah at school .. Also have two corgis Jake and Caroline. She is in my avitar.

Lyn

After exposure to a large variety of dog breeds over the years, I am a Die Hard BOXER MOM!!! I have never met a more wonderful, intelligent or sensitive breed. There are "good apples" and "Bad apples" in every barrel, but I have yet to meet a bad one in the Boxer Barrel.
default_wub.png
:

On Oct. 30th My very best friend Nicky of 13+ years was put to rest. She was a Cocker Spaniel. I had her cremated and when I pass away her remains will be buried with mine.

Chows forever and always will be chows. They are the best family dog ever, great with kids, love the outdoors, easy care for a fuzzy breed, loyal, tidy, very catlike so if you don't like cats you probably won't like chows
default_wink.png
:

here is my first one...late in life with an ever present cat at her butt both her and the cat have been gone about 7-8 years

chow.jpg

Next is Deva also now deceased. She was the one my 2 yr old would steal dog food from she would just move over so he could have a snack with her. She was dog aggressive but loved people man I miss this dog.

deva2.jpg

and Deva again about 1 month before we lost her to stomach cancer.

deva1.jpg

Here is Sherri she is Deva's daughter and was briefly a foster dog with us for about 6 months, she went on to live a life of luxury at the beach
default_wink.png
: Sherri loved all other dog's all people, she was more like a golden retriever than a chow :bgrin

this picture stinks but it is only one I can find

sherri.jpg

and last but never least MicMar Ruby Tuesday o Runamuk

Ruby tue tue

ruby1114%20002.jpg

and Ruby, willy, and my son in a just delightful photoshoot
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: even my dog wont pose nice...and excuse the mud it is the mud season here
default_wacko.png
:

xmas%20dogs%20001.jpg

xmas%20dogs%20002.jpg

This is my husband's favorite breed. He is a Pit and this is his piture from when Caesar was 5 months old last may. Sigh... I need to get a more current photo!

ef8a5e67.jpg

While the above dog is cute, I am extremely partial to my favorite breed which I have grown up with for the past 30 years! (URGG How time flies!). Definately not a dog for many people, but I personally will never own anything but my Siberian huskies as long as I am healthy enough to own them! Very cat like, very clean, normally not aggressive to people, but they do have some hunting instincts to hunt what ever is smaller than themselves. If properly watched and trained I have found that they really are not that much of a problem with the horses. But the key is "trained"!

Here is one of my favorite Sibes... My mom's 1994 female named Brandy. Picture taken last winter.

f05ccbf1.jpg

And here is the love of my life Glacier, a 1999 vintage. (Sorry hubby, but he is more cuddly than you! Tee Hee Hee!) Picture taken last fall.

ebaad4f3.jpg

Glacier keeping an eye on his ball last winter. After all, you never know when it might try to get away!

ebaad4e7.jpg

And lastly, Glacier by the Christmas tree. I love to photograph Sibes by Christmas trees as there is just something about the scene that makes me feel that these dogs belong in Christmas settings!

f9f2f3ed.jpg

I have recently been converted to a new favorite....Redbone Coonhound! I have a 9 month old puppy and he has been the best dog so far....BESIDES my Cardigan Welsh Corgi who before T-Bone held number one best dog honors...now I have TWO best dogs!!! Who would have thought a coonhound??? Not me..for sure!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back