What Are Your Favorite Breeds of Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first love is and always will be Dobes but I shall not get another.

Pedigree breeds as a whole are so flipping unsound it is just not true- AND it is ALL our fault.

My next pup shall be a Pitbull (I do not mean an Am Staff)

Still banned by law over here- tough- no pedigree -GREAT.

No breed standards- none on paper anyway, no shows, nothing to live up to except the demands (very strong ones) of the breeders.

Mona my heart is sad for you. I see in that picture how noble of a dog Baylee is...where does the time go? I remember when I had my old Boxer girl I was trying to hold back the hands of time so that her time would not come and it came upon us all too quickly. I know what you are going thru my friend.

I have had many different breeds in my lifetime and loved each and every one of them for their distinct and peculiar habits and traits. As you all have guess by now.....my Lakota, the love of my life - canine sould mate has me wrapped around her big paw. I have found this breed the Cane Corso to be everything that I have always wanted wrapped up in one big solid dog. She is trusting of me, protective, guarding of her house, home and horses, playful and goofy with us here at home and all business like and serious once she's in the public eye. Such a big teddy bear, goof off, yet when she has to be her breed instincts come into play. I could not have a found a more loving, devoted dog in this ...the Cane Corso as I have found in Lakota. That being said...there is the Boxer, with thier clown like antics and thier totally amusing demeanor, stubborn streak and puppy-ish attitude through out their adult lives, I have found the Boxer to be one of the most amusing and heart warming breeds to own.

I tend to sway toward the big breeds but would not discount the smaller pups. If I ever have to get a small pup, I would love to have a miniature Dashund. I have met one or two and have heard such nice things about them.

Lakota keeping watch on her property and farm

ebc392f3.jpg

...and goofing off wanting to play ball
default_wub.png
:

ebb285fa.jpg

My 5 yr. old Boxer Tweety

ebb28646.jpg

...and relaxing in the sun

ebb285d1.jpg

hi

my first love are Great Danes, which i bred and showed here in Ireland for many years but when my bitches died (of old age) i hadnt the heart to replace them.

So now i breed English Setters and English Springer Spaniels and the reason for this is because i do alot of hacking at the beach and i needed energetic dogs to keep up, as we often do 2-3hrs on the beach. They are the perfect family dogs, perfect manners, highly inteligent and never in a bad mood. They are great companions and go in the 4x4 with me all the time.

If i had to choose just 1 more it would be a Doberman, they get an awful bad press but in my experience with them they are wonderful dogs.

this is Tasha (English Setter asleep) and Tara (English Springer Spaniel) after a long hack on the beach

dogs0011.jpg

and three of them (Harry is the tricolour English Setter) on another trip to the beach

Beach2.jpg

:saludando:

Well I am currently sitting in a house with my cocker spanial and my SO two bosten terriers. Its intresting them trying to get along..........however I love all three of them. i love dogs in general and there really isnt a bred I dont like.

australian cattle dogs of course! they're energetic without being neurotic, intelligent, loyal, EASY care (the mud/dirt dries and just seems to fall off their coats) and just hard headed enough to keep you on your toes. besides, who couldn't love this face?

122541893.jpg
85140240.jpg

i love a lot of things about other breeds too, but the only other breed i'm really interested in owning is a standard manchester terrier........smaller, but tough and a gritty personality without a lot of grooming involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine is a toy poodle, they are small, intelligent, dont cast, and my daughter can do anything with her, they are funny as well, this is CINDY my toy poodle, and shes special because she will be my last dog

STA60108.jpg

Like many of you, I also love all breeds of dogs but my absolute FAVORITE is the German Shepherd!

I can not imagine not ever having one. They are just the most devoted and loving dog and so very gentle. My Keisha is always at my side - where ever I am - she is also. She is so tuned in to all my moods and needs. Keisha is going on 13 and I dread to think of the day when I won't have her any more.

Here is my precious girl, Keisha-

308661-R1-8A.jpg

Like many of you, I also love all breeds of dogs but my absolute FAVORITE is the German Shepherd!

I can not imagine not ever having one. They are just the most devoted and loving dog and so very gentle. My Keisha is always at my side - where ever I am - she is also. She is so tuned in to all my moods and needs. Keisha is going on 13 and I dread to think of the day when I won't have her any more.

Here is my precious girl, Keisha-

308661-R1-8A.jpg

she is GORGEOUS! I have a fondness for German Shepherds too.. I especially like the darker ones like yours.
default_yes.gif
:

The cat is pretty neat too...

I am always amazed at the incredible variety of dog breeds and mixes. I don't believe I've found one yet that I didn't like. I could say my favorites are Poodles, but then I love our Boxer and Boxer mix and have a list of others I would love to have just as much. How can anyone choose?

Large breed is the Labradors. These two in the pics belong to my husband, although we have both had several of them.

As far as small breeds, i've only had two different ones. One was the Pugs, which I still have a 16yr. old fawn. Lost the black one last year also 16 yrs. old. I also currently have two adorable MinPins. They have become our kids, since our boys are grown. They are also just so entertaining, I can't imagine not having them.

Here's my pics.

jessee%20katee.jpg
minpins%20(2).jpg

I have had many dogs in my life, I have also worked at large bording kennels and in humane societies. My parents owned a dog kennel for years raising little dogs. I finally found one I like. We have a chihuahua who is bigger than most but supposedly pure bred. He is about 10 lbs and a bundle of energy. He plays fetch and sleeps at my feet under the cover, but if the door knob rattles he becomes 10 foot tall and a vicious watch dog. Mickey has been the best family dog ever. He loves to chase a tennis ball and pop bubbles. He also loves to go on walks with his girl friends down the street.

Here he is with my one year old daughter and mick is about six months, four years ago.

christmas.jpg

I love this picture of him, the light is hitting him just right, he is standing on a park band shelter.

mickeycoat.jpg

I love all dogs but have a special love for the sporting breeds. When my husband and I got married back in Ireland, the horse farm we worked at bred English Springer Spaniels and we were given the pick of the litter as a wedding present, that was Monty and what a fabulous dog he was. We had him for 16 wonderful years and we had him in Ireland, then we moved to England and of course he came with us, then we moved here to Canada and again we brought him too. One of his favourite things was to go the the playground with the neighbourhood kids, he would line up for the slide, climb up the steps and slide down with his ears flapping and then run around to the back of the line for his next turn :bgrin When he passed we just couldn't bear getting another springer, it would have felt like treachery so we waited a while and looked around and ended up getting a golden retriever in 1982, we started competing with that first dog and started breeding them in 1988. We have three goldens right now, Chili who is 6, Fox who is 3 and Torch who is 2. There are photos on my web site of all of them at www.Foxgold.com if you would like to see them, I always have problems posting pics :bgrin

Yvonne

My family had a Golden Retriever when I was young.........and my husband adopted one when he was a teenager and smuggled it into his parent's basement, so I guess it was destined that we would always have a Golden Retriever in the family........

Yes, we love the Goldens.....but for me, it comes down to personality and not just breed. I have had in my life the following breeds (or combinations of) -- Irish Setter, Poodle, German Shepherd, Elk Hound, West Highland Terrier, Golden Retriever, Labrador, Corgi, Bear Dog, and Bernese Mt. Dog.......I've loved them all.

MA

Hmm well at this moment (just after midnight) it is NOT chorgeenies which are being naughty little pups who escaped out of there pen and are now all running amuck in my living room
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: sigh i keep telling myself as i sit here with bloodshot eyes they wil have a good romp and tire themselves out to sleep for the night.. (ya right)
default_smile.png

My all time favorite breed is a pit and/or an Am Staff. I love them and to be honest never met one I didnt like. I have done some rescue with the breed in So Cal as well as owned a few and found them to be loyal, brave, kind, gentle, smart and willing to please.

Next on the list would be a dobe and then a Great pyr.

Ok and even as tired and bleary eyed as I am I will admit my chorgeenies are on the list as well as they are fighting over a paper plate 2 times the size of them and proud when they run off with it.

heck who am I kidding I love all dogs!

Although I am not a huge fan of the herding dogs we have a Border Collie and just not the dog for me I love her , she is a good dog in fact a great dog very smart, very wanting to please just to much for me I need dog who doesnt spend all day "reading" me

Last edited:
Oh so many to choose from.

For little dogs, I love the Shih-tzu and of course my Tibetan Spaniel. I know there are others.

As for large breeds, I have owned Akitas, Rotties, Anatolian Shepherds, and a cattle dog. I love them all though I tend to pick breeds that aren't very good listeners or have selective hearing. My Akitas were not like your normal Akita and because of that I don't think I will ever have another. I adored my Rottie and originally loved the Dobie until they bred them to look like great danes. They do seem to be coming back to the way they were meant to be.

Like many of you I have several dogs. After letting my old female Anatolian go a few weeks ago, and now my old male seeming to go down hill fast, when he is gone I will get another dog.

I have a female Cattle dog thats 8 or 9 yrs old not sure she was a Humane Society refugee. Got her 6 yrs ago.

The daughter of the two old Anatolians that is 8 yrs old. and a 6 yr old Tibetan Spaniel (male)

I have been thinking about another Rottie, a Dobie, a GSD, but think I will adopt a Boxer from the Rescue here in AZ. It will have to be a male as my cattle dog would prefer boys.

Robin

We had a English Springer Spaniel, a Border Collie and a Miniature/Toy Poodle and loved them all. We now have a German Shorthair Pointer who we just love to pieces. He is so friendly, smart and the biggest 80 lb baby you'd ever see! LOL My sister has a Sheltie who is absolutely adorable, I'd love to get one of those some day too!
default_wub.png
:

Thanks TangoMango for the compliment on Keisha - we also have 2 other German Shepherds-

They are Tristan(belongs to our son, and is TOTALLY his dog) and then in the middle is my Keisha and on the other end is our male Shepherd, Khyzer. They are all good watch dogs and are also gentle with our family and our animals. All house dogs except Khyzer who sleeps on the porch with a heated bed.

P1010006.jpg

Then we also have our sheltie, Mya - before we got her she had been used for show and spent her life living in a crate, now she is one of the family and we just love her.

P1010009.jpg

Then last but certainly not least is our little Samantha - she came within 30 minutes of being euthanized - I brought her home from a horse auction-she is just a little love and even though she is the smallest she keeps the German Shepherds in line.

Samantha.jpg

Currently, we own a pit bulldog, a chi-weenie, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and two Anatolian Shepherds.

I have owned a large variety of breeds of dogs....and some of the best ones were mutts. I tend to buy purebred dogs, as a rule, and have owned some excellent purebreds that made terrific farm companions.

I have also owned some registered purebred dogs that did NOT prove to be good dogs.

I used to think that the Corgi was my "perfect" breed, because my Corgi Jasper is so awesome. But after going through two other Corgis that were aweful to own (ie not as trainable and chasing horses), I now think that Jasper is just an exceptional example of his breed.

In the past, I have owned (since childhood, and in my family) the following dogs listed with my personal experiences with the breed:

Akitas...not good with horses, not very obedient, love to fight, stubborn

Schnauzers....had a really good one and a couple of bad ones that were too independent

Pit Bulldogs....mostly in my family, could be GREAT or could be terrible if undisciplined

Rat Terriers...had a really great one as a kid, tends to be mass produced by puppy mills

Poodles...have had several in the past, all good dogs but tend to be hypersensitive to foods and environment, nervous

Labradors...have had several terrific labs, great breed but sadly mass produced by every tom dick and harry

Old English Sheepdogs...my husband's love, I myself think these are the stupidest dogs in the world, but cute despite a lot of upkeep

Dachshunds...can be mean! but had a good one as a kid...then a bad one as adult, another mass produced breed

Austrailian Cattle Dogs...mass produced in our area, had one from rescue that was AWESOME until he taught all the other dogs to chase horses relentlessly

Austrailian Shepherds...haven't had a good one yet...

German Shepherds...had a couple as a kid...the last one bit the horses and had to go

Collies...had a pair of these as a kid that we fostered...great dogs, just too much upkeep for living in East Texas

Border Collies...had one of these as an adult and it had not received the proper amount of training. It was the most headstrong, heck bent on chasing horses, cars, goats, buckets, feet, legs, cats, crickets, anything that moved...and I hated that dog....belonged to a boyfriend, thank God, but he was dumber than the dog!

Great Dane...have owned one of these in recent years....beautiful but lazy and made a personality change one day ...became aggressive toward the horses and had to rehome her. I dearly loved that dog but the horses are primary at my house so she had to go.

The one and only breed that has been absolutely perfect from the start, and the breed I know I will own as long as I am able, is the Anatolian Shepherd.

ZeusLonestar.jpg

My Anatolians went to work spontaneously at the age of just a few months. They have both become excellent guardians of the herd and our family. This breed has turned out to be EXACTLY like the literature had stated they should. As long as breeders continue to select for working traits, and cull dogs with inferior personalities, the working ability should be preserved. However, I realize that this won't always happen. Now that AKC has recognized the breed and it is being presented in the showring, the goals of some breeders will ruin the working ability inherent of the breed.

can I answer "all of them"? heh, that isn't entirely true but I am a fan of dogs in general.

My favorite small breed is Hairless Chinese Crested Dogs, though. hands down, no doubt about it. I have two of them and they are just the best dogs I have ever had, ever.

This is Nigel, in his winter coat. he was adopted from an all breed rescue in february of 2002:

nigelcoat.jpg

This is Mylo (hanging out with one of our cats, Irvine, in his big sisters crate), I got him from a show breeder for $10 in paperwork fee's when he went oversized and couldn;t be shown anymore... He has allergies and constantly gets yeast infections in his skin and ears, no matter what we feed him or what we do for his skin, but most of the time we keep it under control and he is a real blessing to our family so we don;t mind the extra effort:

myloirvine.jpg

Nigel is my favorite dog in the whole wide world, and is my heart dog. Thankfully he has GREAT skin (better then mine) that requires no care at all, because Mylo's skin more then makes up for it in the care it needs. This is a breed where you REALLY have to do your research before buying to reduce your chances of having problems. Since I don;t buy the dogs, i adopt or rescue them, I take what I can get and know there is a risk but for most people I would recommend finding a RESPONSIBLE breeder and doing tons of research before hand.

My favorite large breed is Standard Poodle. Someday after both of my nekkid boys have crossed the rainbow bridge (hopefully not for another 15 years) I will have a Standard Poodle.

But I have to say, as much as I love my breeds of choice, plain old mutts are just about the best. Our big dog Misty is just wonderful, we think she is part GSD, but no clue what else she has in her, other then a big old heart of gold.

This is Misty, making her dad's side of the bed smell like dog:

mistysnooze.jpg

No matter what other dogs we have around here, we always keep one adopted/rescued mutt.
default_wub.png
:

Lauralee...I am sooo disappointed! You FORGOT Stanley!! I know he didn't work out well for you and had to go to a new home, but he was still a CUTIE!
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back