What are the color variations with dun + silver?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
I'm getting set to send in my filly's registration app and I'm really struggling with what color to put down for her. I realize pics would be of great help but I haven't gotten to those yet. I am positive she is a dun of some sort (appears red dun) and then her lower legs and mane are very silvery. Maybe she is a silver bay dun?? Dam is a silver bay pinto and sire is a buckskin dun. Her tail doesn't seem to have any silver to it yet.

Also, her hooves are striped and she is slowing developing more "roaning" on her face. I'm guessing this may be due to possibly carrying sabino like her mother. How do I indicate the roaning on the reg. app? Any thoughts on what color to put down for her? Anybody have pictures of a silver bay dun as a weanling? Thanks everyone. I'm new to this registering foals bit and need all the help I can get!

Hi there!!! Without seeing a picture of it, it is hard to tell. I had a silver smokey black colt this year who also has the dun gene.. His sire was a perlino who carried the dun gene and his dam is a silver dapple..He started being the original silver color with a dorsal and now after he was clipped he turned prettiest shade of chocolate with a creme mane and tail and a prominate dorsal stripe.. I am not a fan of silver dapples but he was stunning..I have some pics of him on my website under 2007 foals at different stages of color change .I dont think I have a pic of him on there at his current color though.. Close but not the same when he finished shedding as I had only done a partial body clip and his legs still had the bleached out hair on them... Wish I could help more...

oh BTW my website is www.ontherisefarm.20m.com sorry i forgot to list it..

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont have any baby pictures, but i think i saw the newborn ones of the filly you're talking about. she looks red dun to me. if she was a silver bay, she would have a lighter main and tail which i dont remember if she does. usually.

I would just put red dun for her color. if you really weren't sure, you could have her tested for black. no use testing for silver, she could carry that anyway.

As for the roaning, Sabino.....maybe use the "may change color" option as we don't know if her face will get more?
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back