what age to measure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
at what age is best to judge to estimated height of a mini..this is what I got roughly this morning..(dancing foals eager to get out and play)

born February....9 inches

born April...7 1/2 inches

born May.....10 inches (whewie)

I should have said three months and up I guess. Both your February and your April foals would be accurate.

Would love to get more info on this method and how it works. Also how accurate is it? I have seen the measurements at birth but never heard of the one for 3 months. How do you calculate on both method?
default_wacko.png

Thanks

Hello

I have always heard you can do cannon bone measurements anytime, preferably after they are up on their feet. The cannon is not supposed to changed in length.

With a string straight from the middle (soft spot) of the knee to cannon bone, measure the string x 4 add 2".

Would like to hear how all others do it?

I 'thought?' it was done right after birth to determine an approximate

height at maturity.

Middle of the knee to the coronet band x 4 + 2 inches (give or take)

I've done it with all my girls and it's been quite accurate with the ones that

are now 3+ years old.

I do believe that effects of nutrition can affect those calculations, in the case

of foals deprived of good nutrition.

I do middle of the knee to the coronary band - not just the cannon bone itself - then multiply by 4 and add 2 (inches). I do this within the first few days. It's been very reliable for me so far. I do think there is a calculation based on the cannon bone alone and then you use a grid (based on current age) to see the mature height. I believe that grid can be found on the LB Info Pages section of this site.

* Measure from the middle of the front knee to the coronet band (top) of the hoof. Multiply times 4 and add 1". Best done after 3 months of age.

* Birth height plus 10 - 12". Example: 20" at birth, plus 10" = 30" (or plus 12" = 32").

* Back leg, top of hock to ground x 2 + 2". Example: 16" x 2 = 32" + 2" = 34"

This is what iit says on the info pages....I will measure again with someones help just to be sure..thank you all for your input.

Duh
default_rolleyes.gif
..look on the info page

Hello

I have always heard you can do cannon bone measurements anytime, preferably after they are up on their feet. The cannon is not supposed to changed in length.

With a string straight from the middle (soft spot) of the knee to cannon bone, measure the string x 4 add 2".

Would like to hear how all others do it?

Ditto........... It has always been my understanding that the cannon bone is one bone that doesn't grow from birth, unless there's an unusual circumstance.........Or am I missing some information????

Latest posts

Back