What Age Do You Start Breeding Your Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
Just wondering what age you start breeding your mares. Do you start at 3 or wait until they are older?

When I first started in minis I would start breeding young mares at 3 years of age. After having been doing this for going on 17 years, my thoughts on breeding at such an early age have changed. I now prefer to wait until they are at least 4 or 5 years of age to breed. I have noticed a difference in the maturity level between young 3 year old mares and those that give birth when they are 5 or 6 years of age. Of course, with the economy the way it has been the last few years I have mares that are 7 years of age that I still have not bred. Just because they tease to a stallion doesn't mean you have to breed them!!!!!

Just my own personal opinion on breeding.

I used to start breeding when they were three, but now I generally wait. We have three seven-year-old maiden mares that haven't yet been bred, along with a six year old and a five year old. One of the seven year olds was trained to drive and did a bit of showing (Reserve National Futurity Driving) and she will be showing again this year so we'll wait even longer to breed her, but the other two seven year olds will be bred for the first time this year. Part of the reason for this was because I wanted to show ALL of them, but we haven't been able to show much in the last few years, for various reasons. Another reason is because we have a lot of breeding age mares and aren't breeding much lately (only expecting ONE foal this year, with over 20 breeding age mares and several stallions).

Myself and most folks here I know start at 3 or 4- sometimes 5, depending on the mare. Some truly just need longer to mature.

The earliest I've ever bred is at age 4 for their first foal at 5. I sold a 2yr old filly once that I knew was to a breeding home, but did not expect they would breed her as soon as she arrived. Fortunately, she did well and was a great mom, but I thought that was too young.

Three. I have bred (by mistake) a two year old and she was OK but it is not something I would ever recommend, even though I did it without a second thought with the Arabs......

Depends on the mare. But always 3-5
default_yes.gif
The smaller ones 4-5.

We are like others.... We used to breed at age 3 and now wait to 4 or 5.

I ususally like the mare to be 3 yrs old before breeding so she will be 4 yrs when foal comes
default_smile.png

I wait until the mare is 4. The last maiden I bred was 7.

I did once at 3 so she would foal out at 4 but never again, Ill wait till 4,5,or 6. Last maiden mare was 7.

Latest posts

Back