What a morning!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
Okay, so there I was…in the semi-dark. It was 6:00am, and I was getting ready to feed my minis. I step outside, and immediately count noses. 1-2-3…where’s Wynnie? So I called her. She usually at least will appear, if not call out to me. Nothing. Oh crap! I look in the dark part of the field, and I can see a shape. She’s standing. I call her. She didn’t move. Is she sleeping? When I call her she will come to me. Not this time. I see a flash of something red on her front leg. :ugh: My heart in my mouth, I run inside to get the flashlight. I turn the flashlight on her, and there she is…front legs standing wide, her scared eyes looking at me…and there’s a hard, red, plastic dog dish stuck on her leg! Her foot must have gone through the bottom. It was stuck about 2 inches above her cannon bone. She was just frozen, waiting for me to come get her. I run for a halter, and holler at my husband…I needed Help!!!

In the mean time, Bilbo went to her, and tried to get her to move…she didn’t want to…and she kicked at him. I held my breath. There could be cut tendons…or worse…This is my dream horse. I’m breaking her to drive…she’s beautiful, and sweet, and talented. O God, I bought her when she was 2 weeks old, and she’s four now. I’ve waited all this time…I just couldn’t think about it… :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I got the halter. She was such a good girl. She practically held her foot out to me and asked for help. I carefully pulled the thing off of her leg. I saw just a little tiny bit of blood, and felt around to see if there were any wounds…I couldn’t find anything! Bone felt right, everything felt like it ought to…THANK GOD!!! I let her walk and she didn’t limp. I could start breathing again!

This afternoon I went to look at her. She was lying out in the sun, taking a nap. I crouched down beside her. She acted like she wanted to get up, but I gently touched her head, and she stayed put. She didn’t need to get up. I tested the leg. She has a little bit of swelling just above her fetlock. There are no gaping wounds. She kind of jumped when I touched it, so I think its a little ouchy. When she got up, she walked on it just fine…no limping. I’m thinking I’ll clip her leg to get a better look, and then hose her with cold water to bring down the swelling.

Who knows how that darn dog dish got in the pasture! Probably was brought in by my husband’s lab puppy…but I am not sure where he found it! I don’t let things like that in the pasture. The grain dishes that I leave are the soft rubbery kind…they can play with them, but they can’t break them and make sharp edges.

Wouldn’t her reaction of just freezing in place be the reaction you would want from a good driving horse if they get in a sticky situation like that?? She didn’t freak out…What a good girl!!! :488: :538:

Kim R.

She sounds like a PERFECT driving horse!! And even better she seems to love you so it sounds like she'll do anything for you.
default_yes.gif
: I'm glad everything turned out alright!!

So glad everything turned out OK! I know it sure can be scary! My Anatolian has her toys out in the pasture where she stays. One is a little black tire, that had a short length of rope through it, both to satisfy the pups chewing needs. The rope got pulled off not long after we bought the toy, but I left the rubber tire piece for her.

Somehow, I have managed to pull it off of my horses feet twice already! Front ankle on one mare, and the rear on another mare!
default_rolleyes.gif
: They just seem to find things to worry us! Looked like they were wearing a bracelet!
default_wink.png
:

Mona, that's funny about your Anatolia!!! We have dogs too, and I prefer them to play with soft toys outside, so the horses won't find some way to hurt themselves! The soft grain bowls make wonderful toys for the horses. This red bowl was our old dog's and I thought it had been put away. It's kind of big, so I'm surprised that the puppy took it into the pasture.

But then I started looking around the pasture, and I saw other dog toys there. He must be bringing them to share with the horses... :eek: I'll have to be vigilant and make sure there is nothing that can break and be sharp...like that bowl...

Kim R.

Latest posts

Back