We've MOVED - FINALLY!! Pic Link added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it!! Hysterically laughing that you can see where they hung things. Now I gotta check under a couple of frames :-D lol. The property is incredible and the animals seem to be enjoying it.

HEHEHEHe!! That cross has been covered by Larry's Star War's movie poster (framed in glass). Other dragon type pics around the living room, and one print of the original cover of the book - The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey (now deceased) - love the Dragon Rider books.

I ended up writing a bunch of stuff in another post on the main forum. Brought home the 17 equine still left in temp qtrs on Friday, pulled out fence and brought it home and put it where I needed it to start putting it up. Then back to bring the temp feed room and what was left of the two round bales. Since the fencing isn't done here yet, the larger gelding was turned out w/ the boys in their finished pasture, the arab was put in the blue panel pen w/ the NSH(Jazzy) and Taff (shet mare) - the other 15 are loose in the short fence.

15jan18ponies906.jpg

15jan19ponies1136cu.jpg

Picked up the last chickens today, and my 3 barn cats as well. Don't have a barn, per say, here. They will be kept in one of the chicken pens for right now - then turned loose. Not sure if they will stay in the chicken area or if they will migrate out to where the 2 stall shed row is in the pony pasture...

Had adopted a rescue (puppy mill producer) mini aussie the first week of January and then on Friday - adopted a rescue Pom. Both have to be altered - the Aussie (ZuZu) has settled in pretty well, the Pom (Ludo) is just now starting to not hide under the couch or to get defensive or run when reaching towards him... Both have gone out on lines (we don't have a fenced in dog area yet that will contain them) and done ok. Monkey (our Finish Spitz or Finkie) and Goblin/Gobbles go out to the pony pasture during the day. Monkey, like me, has lost weight doing so much moving around. He's constantly after the "underground critters"

15jan18dogs904.jpg

15jan19dogs916.jpg

15jan18dogs905%2520%25282%2529.jpg

Lol adorable dogs!! Haha and I haven't heard of the dragon rider series. Is it like eragon??lol star wars poster covering the cross hahaha!!!

Actually I think I liked the movie (struggling to remember it, maybe can find it?). The movie rights to the Dragon Riders of Pern have been purchased and resold - but so far no movies or animated films. They could do a lot with it OR it could be really messed up. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to see it made into film...

On the home front - for everything we get done - something else doesn't!! Still don't have all the fence up or the mares separated! Have gotten hay and will be hauling again this weekend (no longer just a couple of miles down the road), have to get the trailer in to find out what's going on with it, have gotten more boxes unpacked (no where near all of them), taken the dogs in to have vet appointments done and then treated them for various things (mostly worm treatments - hmmm - catching up our regulars now that we have the new rescues) - takes time. I know we had plenty of laundry at the other house - but geeze - seems like I'm doing laundry EVERY DAY right now! The barn/pasture set up seems ssoooo faaarrr away from the house... Also amazing how long it takes to walk out to the "barn" (the red shed set up)...

I've lost quite a number of chickens since moving them to the new place. Not sure if it's the stress of the move (2nd one in 3 months), the fact that I had to combine the youngsters w/ the older hens, the extreme weather changes or maybe something left in the ground here??? Hmmm, makes me wonder how I'm going to go about purchasing new chickens...

Now working on setting up a program to work ponies - had planned on starting tonight - but the gusting wind prevented that ... I've never conditioned ponies for halter nor kept them up before (our performance show ponies lived on pasture year round- no probs). Have had a couple people recommend that I change my feeding program completely - yet I've never gone w/o using water/soupy beet pulp feeding when feeding here in NC for the past 15 years. Since arriving here (the new house) - this is the longest that I've ever gone w/o feeding concentrates and I don't agree that all of them look "good". The winter hair is hiding beginning weight loss that I will struggle to off set again. Feeding is impossible when you don't have tie spots or places to hang buckets set up and I just can't deal well w/ the fighting if I just put the buckets on the ground. UGGGHHHH!! The weather isn't helping - seems the good days are when we are working (at the jobs that pay the bills) and the "bad" days are when we are able to do the outside work - while the rain/wet makes it easier to sink posts into the ground, it's plays havoc w/ my own body being able to do the work (and sorry, wind combined with bone penetrating cold is much harder to deal with now than it was just 10 short years ago). And the up/down temps play just as many problems here as they are through out the country...
default_sad.png
It's slow going. I'm worried about pipes freezing tonight and the wind is affecting the temps in the house. May have made a mistake taking the blinds down so soon (I hate blinds) - the temp diff in the house is amazing. I never realized that!

I do LOVE the property and I'm still excited - just taking longer to get settled in than we'd expected. Hours keep changing at work too - for both hubby and I. While more hours mean more pay (& for him overtime), it plays havoc with the work at home/on the property. It's actually further to go to feed store(s) (not horribly - but that adds to driving time away from home) - not on the way home anymore for either of us.

And neither of us seem to be able to completely shake these colds/constant drainage/coughs. With the wind today - I'm finding the way my chest hurts to be a concern...

OK, done complaining for a bit.

O - and I'm constantly on the hunt for easy recipes!! I've used our big crock pot more than I've ever used a crock pot in my life! AND OH MY IS IT EVER GOOD, FILLING food! Will do a pork roast tomorrow...

OK - no new pics of the ponies (will work on that this week) and have to get to bed very soon. BUT here's pics of the dogs that I wanted to share!

I think I already intro'd the two new rescues - gotten just a week apart. Zuzu is now spayed - after getting her 7 yr old self a blood and heart workup to make sure she'd be ok during/after the surgery. She was in a "false pregnancy" and had started "nesting" and doing a LOT of licking - I didn't realize until the day of her surgery that she was making herself produce more milk. Think it may have been a nervous habit - and if she was "nursing herself" - it explains the two large, misshapen teats she has... Vets say they won't reduce in size, but the milk will eventually dry up... For now, she'll have the "woe is me" look till the milk dries up!

15jan31dog955.jpg

Check out my new "Didy" slipper!! O, wait, that's not a slipper - that's me dawg!! (favored position of Didy - AKA Sir Didimus - when Larry not home or roughhousing with Avalon, the house kitty). Reference is the You Tube vid - "That's not my boots, that's my cats!"

15jan23fam925.jpg

This is also a common site once we've eaten breakfast and we are relaxing on a Sunday before going outside or after coming back in...

15feb2dog962.jpg

& the next two are IMPORTANT as Ludo is a recent rescue. When he first came home - he hid and the only way we could get to him was to "drag" him out by the dragline I left on him for a reason. If you picked him up, he became a "fainting goat" - going stiff as a board and even his eyes would seem to freeze in his head. His legs would stick straight out and you had to be careful with them. I like reaching for a dog with my hands - I have to work on that. Ludo is very defensive and though he's never offered to attack or bite - I'm learning to remember to keep my palm down and start low to reach "up" to stroke him. NOW - LOOK!!! He's on the other couch and I'm standing up in the middle of the LR!! YEAH!!! He came w/ the name of "Onyx" but almost immediately he responded to "Ludo" - one of the many factors that made us keep him when at first we weren't sure and my hubby was ready to kill me for bringing him home. (happy tear...)

15feb2dog965.jpg

15feb2dog966.jpg

Let's see if it will let me post one more. Yep, we do have a smorgasbord of animals. This is Larry holding Galifrey (anyone a Dr Who fan??) with Didy and ZuZu. ZuZu still curls up pretty tight every time we stand up or move. She's started relaxing a bit in this pic. This pic a couple of days before she was spayed.

15jan23fam918.jpg

Our animals have a tendency to be named after holidays (Goblin was born Halloween week), other animals (Monkey) and either characters or places in movies and books (Sir Didymus, Ludo - Labarinth; Avalon - many books; Galifrey - Dr. Who). Not sure where "ZuZu" came from. She came with the name Zuma - neither Larry nor I could seem to get it right but didn't matter she didn't really respond to it... Became Zoom Zoom (she's a mini Aussie and FAST & "SLIPPERY") - didn't really fit and almost on the same day we both started calling her "ZuZu" ... great minds!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir didimus, that is the coolest name. He looks like he has taken the task of being the Hoffman households foot warmer (fluff dry only) lol. Sorry just couldn't resist. Reminds me of my Devon Rex cat, Dalia aka daldal or dal-e. She will sit on my lap curled up in a ball. I guess if I were a partially hairless cat I would look for a warm lap. :p

Latest posts

Back