We've MOVED - FINALLY!! Pic Link added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
We closed on Friday December 19th and moved in but the horses/ponies; chickens/ducks & farm cats haven't moved yet!!

SOOOO much to do still.

We live about 25 miles from where we did. Closer to where I work, but further for both our youngest daughter (moved w/ us) & hubby to go to work. Closer to our oldest daughter and our 2 grand daughters (only a few miles down the same main road).

Went from 1100 sq ft home to 2100 (
default_new_shocked.gif
) ; 8+ acres to 20+ acres; leasing to OURS. No refrigerator for a full 8 days (lived in the hotel for 5 weeks before that)! LOTS of trees w/ leaves down and pine straw. A lot in forest/trees that we won't be clearing - some we will be.

The largest area that is cleared is perimeter fenced in 3' high field fence (didn't even kno it was made that "short"!) and metal t-posts that are short enough to "skewer" mine if they get "stupid"... Too many posts and too much fencing to remove/replace... So we are retaining that for a perimeter fence and fencing inside of it 30' off the current fence lines (far enough to allow big equipment to move thru - even on corners/turns) - utilizing the fencing that we already had.

REALLY need to bring the ponies home!! Got the boys' paddock almost finished today. still need to install the 16' gate (cement the posts in, hang it) and put in some more fence posts and add the panels.

So here is what greeted us when we went to look at the property - and Larry said ..."... this is HOME..."

(Realtor's pic taken in jul/aug 2014)

frar15.jpg

and the pics I took including Larry's car on Oct 24th (our 2nd visit to the property).

14oct24home347.jpg

14oct24home346.jpg

14oct24home348.jpg

14oct24home353.jpg

OK - that's the REVEAL... BASIC. I have got to get some sleep after taking a hot shower that will hopefully help the Ibuprofen that I took to ease the real pain thru the shoulders and neck from doing fencing I haven't done in 10 years!! Will update w/ more info and pics as we go along!!

Photo Album

Last edited by a moderator:
oops - couldn't not put some more pics...

The realtor's pic -

frar1.jpg

My pic on 24 Oct 2014 - that new roof only has one prob - it completely covers the skylights which I think would have been beautiful. Inside of house/ceiling show no water damage, so have no idea why they covered the skylights.
default_sad.png

14oct24home356.jpg

the "barn" (shed) - will be made into hay storage and feed room. May do part of it into 2 stalls. Have no idea where I will store all our harness, equipment and vehicles yet...

14oct24home366.jpg

14oct24home373.jpg

Ok, off to shower and bed now that it's after the Cinderella hour...

So happy for you! Your house looks identical to my new (1 yr now) one! Hope you settle in soon, there is always more to do! We are still getting things situated. LOL!

farm1 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
AngC - I DO TOO! Think that's a lot of what my non-horsey hubby liked, too. Also, this house is big enough to allow us to have some room while still having all of our stuff. Hopefully we are setting it up in such a way we don't add too much "stuff" to what we already have, but can add some... I will have an extra sewing room/craft room - so maybe when the weathers' bad and I can't do anything more than feed the ponies I can finally do some crafting? We already decided on a lay-out for our leather working stuff too (we are both beginners but both love it!). The office is already set up with cabinets and a desk and allows me to look out to see the drive way and the pastures... NICE.

Candy Car - yep, it sure does!! I like your place... Would love to see how you set up your barn/paddocks - I always love seeing that.

So, when I described what I wanted to do for inside pastures and started measuring, my family and friends were like - "Why??" "Just thro up you fence and move your critters - just like you did to move them into the temporary leased qtrs (look like crap, didn't hold well, had ponies loose quite a bit when they knocked out posts that weren't set deep enough into the ground or attacked each other over/thru the fences and broke the zip ties on the panels and then were intermingling. Will need to check 6 mares to see if they are preggers after one day of running with the 3 yr old stud)".

Takes forever to set up the string and measure - but the first paddock is almost done and it actually looks pretty darn good... Even though the posts are all different lengths, they went into the ground so that they are all 5' above the ground (didn't use the ones that were only 5.5' long - not enough post in the ground). Made one HUGE mistake - the new panels ended up on the back side of the paddock instead of on the front and I didn't see the mistake soon enough... Too tired to swap them out and really out of time, so they will stay. As ponies create more damage to the ones in full view up front, I'll just replace those instead, sigh... I got some pics, but they will be added later. Camera still in the truck - out in the pasture.

Don't have enough panels to fully fence the whole place in them, so will have to go back to using hi-tensile wire on some of the pastures/paddocks. This time, will put up a minimum of 6 wires right from the start - so any that think they are going to crawl thru the fence will think twice. Also, my known fence crawlers won't be in those fences.... so should be ok. I have 4 of the corner posts, need to get more. Still need to get all the fence strainers and springs (going with new since the ones at the old place were a minimum of 3 yrs old and max of 15. Besides - that saves the trouble of having to get the wire (very difficult) off of the previous ones - I gave the old ones to a friend so she and her hubby can add them to their turn-in steel collection project. Still need to decide how I'm going to do the "H-braces" in the corners - using wood poles or using steel? Will have to make up my mind by this afternoon so we can get started - hopefully tomorrow! We'll now see how out of practice I am at putting up hi-tensile wire.

We need to fence off both the well house and the water "stand pipe" - so the ponies can't rub their bums on the "buildings" and/or create any other damage.

Also need to add new gates to the perimeter fence - I don't want to always drive a circle thru/around the front yard between some seedlings that will eventually be too large to allow that. Can't make the hard right turn with a trailer into the pasture w/o circling thru the yard right now. Very obvious the previous owner didn't have big horses or need to account for that... Trying to figure out where the gates will go and at what angles...

The fridge/freezer arrived yesterday - hubby hadn't told me he ordered a significantly larger one than we'd had previously! He's upset though - they didn't include the hose for the water lines and he had to go get those separate (another trip to town) to hook up for the ice and water functions. I am enjoying my coffee with MILK this morning as I type this!! Hate powdered creamer - a necessary evil. Using the old stove that matches nothing (think they'd kept it stored and then put it back in when they took out the one that matched their fridge that they took with them). Still have to order the new stove, it's currently not in stock at Lowe's. Larry is choosing that, which is FINE with me! I do the outside stuff and OMG there is plenty there!!

Because our bed mattress was old (12 yrs) and the bed room suite much older, hubby ordered new bed mattress and we will decide what we want for a bed (head/foot boards) and dressers. Just need to decide what we want... decisions, decisions Old mattress is currently on floor (OMG - that's no longer ez to get up from). Youngest daughter wants the old water bed bed frame (with captains' bed set up) - she will get her own mattress.

We need to fence in the back yard to keep dogs in when we don't want them to run on the whole property. Also want to put field fence on the wagon wheels (hope that doesn't "mess up" the "look") and the other side of our gate, and the front gate - so the dogs can't get out on the road from the front of the property. right now - don't think they'll "get out" from the rear, forested areas ...

Yes, our savings will be depleted by the time we are settled into this home! Some projects that we definitely want to do will be on hold/the list - others may suddenly pop up and need to be done first! We shall see. Eventually, all carpet will be removed (it's clean enuff - but won't be long with our animals and family!) and all hard-wood and ceramic tile will be installed. Also want to finish all the walls to match what the previous owners started - again - $$ and time. Want to enclose the pool with deck, cover it w/ a building that can be heated, deck the back of the house w/ new doors into the dining area (may change the dining area to another use) - but that may be quite some time in coming. Hopefully, this older pool lasts that long (24' above ground). Will also need to have a steep learning curve on caring for the pool - haven't a clue!

Nice! I am happy for you--it will be so nice to own instead of lease/rent, you can fix things the way you want them and know that they are YOURS. I can imagine you will be glad to have the paddocks done and all the ponies moved home. Always so much to do--but so worth it in the end.

Congratulations! No wonder you are thrilled!

We've been at our present site for 12 years--longest we've ever lived in one spot. Takes a long time to get things the way you want.

I was given some good advice recently when beginning a quilt project--a veteran quilter advised me "to enjoy the process". It works for quilts and properties and even horse training!

Hope you get your ponies home soon.

Love your entrance. I'm sure you'll have it yours in no time, with minor tweaking as you go. Hope you can bring the ponies home soon.

Beautiful place.I am so happy for you.What a nice way to start off the new year.ENJOY after you get some much needed rest.

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!!! I love it and can't wait to see it all done. I'm sure all of the animal's will be extatic when they see it. :p

TOTALLY happy for you and TOTALLY understand your excitement, AND frustration! And all you can do is take one day at a time.

We did a similar move 10 years ago.....same miles apart, similar upswing in acres. And yep, the EASY part was getting US transferred. LOL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Despite all of the work that lies ahead, this has to be an enormous relief from the stress of the last few months.

.... Using the old stove that matches nothing ....
I have an older stove; looks nasty; matches nothing. It's probably late 80's vintage. (electric) It is the absolute best for canning and parboiling for freezing. I really doubt new stove models get that hot that quickly.

I know I have to replace it, and it's rather a pain if you want to simmer on low temperature, but. .... 'gonna miss it someday.

AngC - I don't really have anything against it not matching or age - but w/ some other things that have gone on - worry about nasty surprises. Don't want a fire. Even though this house is older, I LOVE it and wouldn't want it to go up in flames w/ our newly moved stuff. Might also be hard to explain that one to the insurance company when we don't even make our first mortgage payment for another month!
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for sharing on this journey. It's been quite an experience already and will continue to be so. There are a lot of plans in the works - both inside & outside the house, in the area of the chickens/other outside critters and with the horses/pastures/barn.

For those that want to see - here's a link to the photo gallery.

Here's the link to the new place. Picasa Web Albums - purplepaintpony - Cameron Home

Picasa Web Albums - purplepaintpony - Cameron Home Photos by purplepaintpony, Dec 28, 2014 - Our new "Forever" home. 20+ acres straddling Harnett and Moore counties with a Cameron address. Will be fun - setting i...
View on picasaweb.google.com
Preview by Yahoo

I will continue to add pics as we go along. Brought the boys home on Tuesday (boarder's mini stud spent nite in trailer as working by myself, I couldn't get anymore fencing done. "Finished" - still have to install main 16' gate on wood posts set in concrete - boys paddock at 12:30 at night - 2 hours after hubby left for work). Finished his pen on Wednesday - New Year's Eve. Moved 1 horse/pony yesterday to home, combined the middle group of 8 w/ the last group of 8 in one paddock and dropped all the fencing (16' stock panels) and pulled all the rest of the posts and they are in the horse trailer waiting to be unloaded today and start on the next paddock. Was surprised when the local TSC wasn't open yesterday after we received a sales flyer in our new mailbox!! Needed more fencing and hate that I will have to go back today to get what I need. TIME and GAS... sigh. Ah well. It's coming together...

Supposed to get a lot of rain Sat & Sun, so will probably work inside the house those days and the last ponies won't get moved until later next week... Can unpack more boxes in the house if it storms badly.

I LOVED looking at the photos of your new place.Lots of projects for you to do, and you are very fortunate to have so many buildings.You sound like a creative person and I look forward to seeing what you do with your new place.I am so happy for you.enjoy it and post lots of photos as you progress.

Congratulations Paula, I too love the entrance . Wishing you every happiness there as you start to make it yours
default_smile.png

Exciting times ahead as you start to plan all the projects & how you want things set up
default_smile.png

Best wishes
default_smile.png

Thanx everyone! We are totally enjoying the house right now.

BUT everything got held up as we all have come down with nasty cases of the flu. Hard to fence in this up/down weather when you shaking and shivering w/ 103 temperatures yourself and can't even stand up straight. Glad ours are used to free feeding from bulk hay and that I'd backed off feeding feed - just need to keep them in hay/water at both properties for right now. Couldn't even drive out there for 2 days to take care of ponies in temp qtrs - texted a friend who then went out and watered...

Everyone back at work this week - full time. So now things are really SLOW.
default_sad.png
And now the other daughter, SIL and grandbabies have this flu bug that they didn't get last week.

Right now, have to figure out how I'm going to break ice on buckets and water tanks at both places. Temps are well below freezing and I didn't think to grab shovels yet out of storage units (which were already supposed to have been emptied too, but that also stopped due to weather and illness). O, yeah, hand held hammer works! Have no desire to dig out chunks of ice by hand, tho. Going to be a long day. I know we dealt with this all the time in MT, CO and WY (U just did it) but I don't remember the constant up/down like these last couple of years and really don't like the WELL below freezing temps here in NC...

I am very excited about the paddocks being inside the fence that is currently up. Will give us "tracks" to work ponies around! Most of the pasture is really flat - but there are two distinct mounds of dirt/sand - one will be moved as it's where a planned fence line will be going in the future. Hope to have it solid enough to work ponies on - at least in hand or on lounge line. Looking at some different designs for a bridge large enough to support the wagon/carts over the "water feature"... I get the shivers thinking about my new driving/training "paradise". All great to look forward to!

Enjoy having the ponies that are here so far. Just need to move the last "group" - actually two groups totaling 16 critters... Right now they are doing a lot of chasing around in an enclosure that's way too small for them...

Latest posts

Back