Western Country Pleasure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I am too lazy to look for my rule book. Was wondering if the Western Country Pleasure horse can also cross over and drive Draft and Fancy Vehicle in the same AmHR show. Also you can drive draft single and does the horse have to be driven with collar and breaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee:

From the AMHR Division of the 2008 ASPC/AMHR Rulebook:

The Western Country Pleasure Driving horse may not cross enter into the Country Pleasure, Pleasure Driving or Park Harness.

Draft Harness Horses:

A. Classes: In the draft harness division, classes may be offered for singles, pairs, tandem, unicorns, four or six-and eight-in-hand.

B. Horses must be shown hitched to a suitable 4 wheeled vehicle, excapt that a cart may be used for single or tandem.

C. All horses must be harnessed with heavy harness (collar and full hames and breeching). The wagon and or harness may display the owners name, advertising, logo or monograms. etc.

D. Horses to be shown both ways of the ring at a natural walk and trot. Horses to stand quietly and back readlily, will be worked in a figure eight, and gee and haw. Docking is optional and tandem and unicorn to be worked at Judge's discretion. Headers (16 years of age and older) may be used for safety.

E.. Draft driving classes may be divided in the smae fashion in the pleasure driving division.

F. In the draft harenss division, braiding of tails and manes in the style used by the larger heavy harness breeds may be used. Shoeing and bits similar to the type used by the larger heavy harness breeds are permissible.

Karen

So It doesn't say that you can't cross Western and Draft -right? As always, Thanks Karen

I've seen exhibitors doing this all year. Draft driving is equipment and vehicle, not so much in headset, and movement. I honestly feel that our "draft type" horses fit right into the Western Country Pleasure Classes, and would hate to have that taken away.

This is the response I got from Dale when I asked him about this and that new COOL Western harness that he makes. I just love that harness. There was a horse called Tippy Toes that was driven with it and it was spectacular. Wouldn't it be neat to have a one horse and one harness that could do both, and look super.

I just talked with Jeanne B. and she said you may show in both, but you can't use a draft collar in the W.C.P. class and you may use a wooden wheeled cart in both classes. We could do a western type harness that could use ether a breast collar or a draft collar. This could be a lighter harness with the draft collar like they used to use on a buckboard and then it could also be used with a breast collar with or without a breeching. All you would need for a draft harness is a collar, hames, false martingale and traces. All the rest could be used either way.

Latest posts

Back