We're nuts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Well probably get flamed for this but we're clearing out the paddocks to make room for winter and had a yearling 30"colt hanging around we were going to show but decided not to after all so placed a small one line ad in a local flyer and within a half day someone called and this morning he left. We did send him on his way with his AMHA papers even though he was a giveaway and got a written note saying he will be gelded before years end and he must come back if they decide they don't want him but l think they'll keep him the 2 kids were super excited he was well trained as far as a yearling goes and a sweetheart. Here he is we'll miss him and hope he likes where he's gone with another gelding as part of a future team.
biggrin.gif
texis.jpg

Why would anyone flame you? You placed your horse in a home where you seem to have ensured he will be loved and cared for. I don't care if you received money in exchange or not. That's your business!

Can't be any worse then what happened to this seller~! No flames from me at all..

well he wanted to downsize for the winter so he took her to the auction ( a good auction) now this was a very well bred filly imprinted from birth, halter broke, and well taken care of , he only got $50.00 for her!!! said after paying the commission he was given $27.00!! but he didn't want to bring her back home so he let her go, he feels she did go to a good home since a guy bought her for his grandkids but he told me he wished he would have just given her to me !!!!!! SO DO I!!! I knew prices were down but I had no idea they were this low

he must come back if they decide they don't want him
I think that is wonderful!!!
aktion033.gif
Sounds like he's gone to a GREAT home!!!
yes.gif

Thanks we were a little worried but we had him for sale since last fall and didn't get any nibbles or lookers. Stud colts are hard to peddle and we didn't think asking 200 was to much but then thought heck we'll just find him a good free home with kids and hopefully it is a good home for him for a long time. The lady thought when they called it must be a very unsound her words mini but in fact he's pretty correct and no off mouth came out of 2 parents we have shown but is still a colt we don't plan to breed anymore of our old stock so had to do something besides going to the auction and then you half the time don't even know where the horse went to. l did tell another breeder up here today and she just gave me a blast l almost hung up the phone. l really don't feel placing a free mini is going to make prices go to heck for anyone up here.

No flames here. I sold a weanling palomino for $1,000 a couple years back. I had told the buyer if she ever got to where she could not keep him, give me a call. She did almost two years later. We picked the colt up (she didn't want any money) & I gave him to a friend who has given him a wonderful loving home.

There are mini horse auctions all over where weanling to yearling colts only bring a hundred dollars unless they have super bloodlines of flashy colors. In some cases gelding them bearly made them worth the additional expense involved in the procedure. In my opinion these animals I have seen were not "great animals" but if you are breeding these pet type animals those are the prices you can expect to get for them if you choose to put them through a sales arena. I think giving an animal away to a good home is prefferable to getting little or nothing for it at public auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
No flames from me! This Sunday, two of my mares are leaving on what I hope will be a permanent free lease. I have plans to let two other horses go for a song soon, too. I just want them to be with good people who will love them and where they will be THE special ones.

I gave away a colt last year to a friend's daughter. They had been taking care of a mini stallion when the lady just up and took it away (she owed a ton of board, and the barn owner offered to just take the horse in leiu (sp?) of the money, but the horse was removed in the middle of the night..
ohmy.gif
) The girls were heartbroken. We had a yearling gelding, black pinto, that we just gave to them. Nothing wrong wth him except he needed more handling.

Later that year they showed him (he is registered AMHR) and beat me in the color class....
rolleyes.gif
Ah, well....

I'd do it again, too.

Lucy

And I gave a donkey away this spring because of my on going health problems and He was lonely
no.gif
And I just couldn't get another donkey at that time... And now he has another donkey buddy at a boarding stable so lots of kids around to pet and love him... And that was very good because I was in the Hospital this summer and almost did not make it back out without being carried out...But that is another story,, and because of what happened I am off ALL prescription Drugs at this time and doing just fine Thank You very much..

No flames from me either. I will deliver one to Camp Courageous on Monday.

He is a beautiful silver dapple with a gorgeous head and a personality to die for. He is very quite for a 2yo, the grandkids can lead him, groom him and just mess with him in general and he doesn't get upset or nervous. In fact the more he's messed with the more he wants someone to brush, pet, or just love on him.

I figured there wasn't anyone interested when I had him for sale so why not donate him to a place where he will be a therapy horse. They have a mini mare but she has cancer so the camp director said they would love to have another mini.

I gave away a 2 year old appy colt a year or so ago. I had him for sale and no serious nibbles. Felt he went to a good home where he was going to be gelded and eventually trained to drive to be used by kids with special needs. I'm still glad I did it.

I think it is GREAT what you did. I have ALWAYS felt that the homes my horses go to are so much more important then the price I get for them. SOme people will pay top dollar for a horse just to say they own one, and once the horse is home is gets no attention, improper feed, and hardly any vet services (teeth floating etc, ) unless its absoutely necessary. The little "freebies" always seem to get the best of care. The only thing a person needs to watch out for is that they dont get into the wrong hands ..only to be resold at a price. Corinne

IT MUST BE IN THE WATER! MY WIFE JUST SOLD A 2 YR. GELDING FOR 500.00 THAT PLACED 3RD IN THE AMHR NATIONAL GELDING INCENTIVE CLASS (RIGHT BEHIND ANOTHER ONE OF OURS SHE SOLD LAST YEAR) AND HAS PLACED TOP 10 IN EVERY NAT. SHOW HES' COMPETED IN. NOT A DANG THING WRONG WITH HIM, SHE'S JUST THROUGH WITH HIM. BOY I HOPE SHE'S NOT THROUGH WITH ME!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back