Went to dermatologist today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
I had my dermatalogy appt. today and they see no melanoma but I do have basal cells which means they will need to be removed or they will continue to cause damage to my skin. I had 5 biopsies done today but we already know pretty much what they are we are just confirming it then I will have surgery to remove them all. I asked about the ones on my scalp. The smaller ones will most likey just be a line scar, once it heals and most likey the hair will not grow there. There is a large spot on my head though that will be much larger than just a line that I don't think the rest of my hair will hide so depending on how big it ends up being I will be going to wigs.

I have to say that I did't care for the doctor much but I am told that he is too old and won't be doing the surgery. He was in the exam room but basically did nothing but sit there and asked a few questions after the nurse practioner had just asked them. The NP also did the exam, biopsies, and reccomendations. The doctor got up once glanced at my back without moving my long hair and said he'd see me in two weeks. This is the third dermatologist I have met over the years and none of them seem to care. Then again, except for my transplant doctors, that's how it seems to be anymore with doctors I come across.

Anyway, The NP has basically diagnosed me with this basal cell sydrome which basically means I am predisposed to getting basal cells. It's basically in my DNA, so this will be a lifelong thing. I found out that the cysts that I've had in my mouth in the past and had to have surgery on have to do with this as well so there's a good chance I will have more of those as well.

My husband is more relieved today. He hasn't slept in days. I didn't know how I was going to tell him if I'd had melanoma but I don't so he's OK now. I go back to the doctor, one who can do the surgery, in two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very sorry you're going through this but I'm glad it sounds like you'll be ok. Thanks for posting, I've been worried and was wondering.

I can't think of words to say other than, I'm glad you're here with us.

{{{{Hugs Amanda}}}}

default_aktion033.gif
I am SO glad to read your good news!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Been thinking about you and your family a lot. I remember, when I had my serious scare, I really was "happy" it was me because I could not have dealt with it emotionally if it had been H, my parents or sister.

PHEW!!! I am very happy for you and your family!!!

I am so happy that it isn't melanoma, but I feel so badly for you to have to keep getting these basal cell cysts removed. And in your mouth! You have a lot to bear, and I know it's probably a drag and an annoyance and very uncomfortable, but as long as it's not melanoma, I guess there is some reason to rejoice.

Believe me, with all the other procedures I've had done these are nothing. I can handle these, no problem. My husband now tells me though that he's still going to worry until the biopsie results come back even though he's a little relieved so hopefully he will sleep better.

I too get BCs frequently. My first got rather large as I didn't know at the time what I was dealing with. Once it was removed from my upper lip and I was given a mirror, I was horrified at the gaping hole on my face. But they bandaged me up, sent me across town to a plastic surgeon and it was amazing what she was able to do! Now, unless you knew to look for it I don't think people even notice it.

You're doing all the right things by staying on top of it and getting them all tested so you know for sure!

Best of luck to you and do keep us informed.

Ditto on the BC - I'm a native California, raised at the beach... need I say more? I've had them surgically removed in 3 areas - the scars are fairly small and really not a big deal. I go every year for check ups and yes, I'm now wearing sunscreen every day! Good luck and keep us posted
default_smile.png

Liz

I go to meet the surgeon on Wednesday. I have to say that I am not too sure about him already. The NP called me yesterday about meeting him and then the doctor wanted to get me qualified for this drug that hasn't been approved by the FDA yet and it won't be out until next year. So, in other words he wants me to be this lab rat for a medication for basal cells. They told him that they were looking for people that had only one area not multiple areas but he was still pushing it. So, I thought, OK, they forget that I've had a dual transplant so I tell her that. She says, "Oh, he asked them about that but they don't think it will do anything." They don't think????? Hello!!!! Maybe they have no idea and I am not about to be the transplant test case. I am not going to be the reason they can put something on their side effects list. I gave them an emphatic no, that they can stop pushing because there was no way I was doing it.

I am not concerned about the scars that will be on my body. The only one I am concerned about is the one on top of my head and basically I am just waiting to see how large it ends up being. There is a small bald spot up there now and I just part my hair to the side to cover it.

We'll see if this doctor is a complete quack on Wednesday. My confidence in doctors slips yet again. Unfortunately, the dermatlogist that my family and friends can say nothing bad about is not on my insurance. He's an hour away but I'd make that drive.

Latest posts

Back