Welts? on back

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could it be sunburn?

i had a horse just loose his skin on his side the other week ,and i think it was caused by sunburn, i treated it with sudocream,and it grew back in no time

goodluck with your mystery
default_saludando.gif

Well, this is interesting that jleonard and I aren't the only ones seeing skin issues related to lacing or white markings. Someone else mentioned the putting on of fly spray then getting an insect bite in that area. I wondered about that too

I know in years past I've had a few arabs that were sun sensitive so I learned to always be real careful with fly sprays on white markings...especially if clipped. But I didn't think the lacing had pink skin under it. I'm going to go out and look at Daniela's back real close.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a combo of things?

Fly spray with no sheet cover=welts

Fly spray and a sheet=no welts.

Hot sun=sunburn in combo with the fly spray=welts

Hot sun=fly sheet covering back with fly spray= no welts.

Maybe the fly spray in the hot sun was causing sunburn, but that when the back is sheilded with a sheet, that doesn't happen.

Maybe?

I googled like crazy and found some fancy names that drove me crazy... Reticulated leukotrichia, Dermatophillus, and erythema multiforme. I also read somewhere that rain rot can cause some lacing patterns and I think one of the big words above is another word for rain rot. One of those mentioned that could be found in quarterhorses, thoroughbreds and included miniature horses. oh well, tried to help, just ended up with some more questions. sorry, but thought since I made the effort I would share the big words I found while googling lacing pattern, miniature horses etc... best wishes that you figure it out
default_saludando.gif

I do think you have both Lacing AND an allergic reaction going on.......

The raised skin reminds me of when we've clipped horses who were sensitive to the oil spray or Cool Lube we use on our clippers.....

Be sure to give your girl a good rinsing......Ours settled down after a day or two.

Interesting that others have similar things going on... I have not been fly spraying, as we really have not had a bad year as far as flying insects, so it is not a reaction to that in my case. They all get their masks, but there has been no need to spray just yet. Maybe the white areas are just more sensitive for some reason. Her welts are still down today, it was damp, overcast, and raining all day, so no sun or bugs. I am axious to see if they reapear with the next warm, sunny day.

Shorthorsemom, thanks for the big words
default_laugh.png
I'll have to look them up!

Thanks everyone!

I, honestly, believe that "lacing" is simply scarring from rain rot and other dermatological infections whether bacterial or fungal.

I, honestly, believe that "lacing" is simply scarring from rain rot and other dermatological infections whether bacterial or fungal.

Sorry Matt...But I will have to disagree with you on this...
default_wink.png
Years ago a friend of mine had a foal "born" with lacing. The filly had no bacterial or fungi in her skin. She retained the lacing for her entire life, and she never had any infections.....She was breath taking!! Solid deep black with white lacing and blue eyes
default_new_shocked.gif

Sorry Matt...But I will have to disagree with you on this...
default_wink.png
Years ago a friend of mine had a foal "born" with lacing. The filly had no bacterial or fungi in her skin. She retained the lacing for her entire life, and she never had any infections.....She was breath taking!! Solid deep black with white lacing and blue eyes
default_new_shocked.gif

Interesting. Okay. Consider me a convert then
default_wink.png

Just wanted to share something that happens to my human daughter, but very similar to what is happening to the horses. She is a pale girl with sensitive skin. We apply sunscreen when we are going to be outside a lot. Everytime she will get a red raised itchy area on her face, looks like we missed some areas putting on the sun screen but I know I got everywhere. This 'rash' does not happen immediatly but only after she has been in the sun for awhile. Like the horses, you can see and feel the pattern, and it is only on her face, and goes away by morning.

So maybe this is an allergic reaction to something that is photosensitive therefore it is a combo of allergin reacting to the sun causing raised welts?

So besides her not being a horse, this is so the same!!
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back